I am not ready for school.

chingxho

Reaction score
I just got BTE hearing aids over the summer & I am just not ready to go to school with them, for the past 2 years I went to school with 1 CIC in my right & no one saw or knew about it, but it's not powerful enough anymore. I am the only one in my class with hearing aids & I will be flooded with questions 24/7, that's just how people are at my school. I'm going to stop complaining now, maybe it won't be so bad. =/

I wouldn't worry about it. they'll be courious at first, but in a week, they'll frget all about it...I think your making too big of an issue out of it. Just wear your hearing aids....also think about letting your hair grow longer to cover the hearing aids...

i agree with Mx757 not to worry about it.. they will forget after a week of asking questions etc.. just keep positive that things will go smooth.. :D

I wouldn't worry about it. they'll be courious at first, but in a week, they'll frget all about it...I think your making too big of an issue out of it. Just wear your hearing aids....also think about letting your hair grow longer to cover the hearing aids...

I know I am, I'm sorry. I have such bad anxiety & all I do is worry myself sick. I'll try not to let it worry me so much.

Are we talking high school or college?
I would say that if you attend a whitebread generic "jocks and cheerleaders" type high school, you might be somewhat ostracized. Not nessarily made fun of to your face, but in SOME high schools being "different" is automaticly going to make you a target for ostracizim.
That said, a lot of people don't even notice hearing aids. I've worn hearing aids since I was three, and most people don't even think twice about it.
In all liklihood people won't even notice them.
I am the only one in my class with hearing aids & I will be flooded with questions 24/7,
Are you the only one in your school with hearing aids? I was one of the only kids in my entire DISTRICT who was hoh.
People are just curious...........And besides you can take that oppertunty to show off your aids! People think that colored aids are wicked cool........and you can also demonstrate your new abilty to turn people off with a flick of the switch!

Are we talking high school or college?
I would say that if you attend a whitebread generic "jocks and cheerleaders" type high school, you might be somewhat ostracized. Not nessarily made fun of to your face, but in SOME high schools being "different" is automaticly going to make you a target for ostracizim.
That said, a lot of people don't even notice hearing aids. I've worn hearing aids since I was three, and most people don't even think twice about it.
In all liklihood people won't even notice them.
High school, & wow! That describes my school perfectly. That's what I'm worried about...I'm hoping that they won't even notice.
Are you the only one in your school with hearing aids? I was one of the only kids in my entire DISTRICT who was hoh.
People are just curious...........And besides you can take that oppertunty to show off your aids! People think that colored aids are wicked cool........and you can also demonstrate your new abilty to turn people off with a flick of the switch!
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the high school, I don't know about the other schools. They do? That's a good thing then because mine are red. I'm looking forward to the last part.
=)

chingxho,

I think you're worried for no reason. Just act like business is normal and no one will say or ask a thing. Besides, it's none of their business. Teachers have to know, though.

ching.........do you have an IEP or access to a TOD? One thing that I would look into is maybe seeing if there are other high schools in your area that have dhh programs. It does seem to be not too uncommon to have social issues in high school. My thinking is that you could maybe attend another school's dhh program (the kind I'm thinking of is the kind with a "resource room" with a TOD who provides services) at least once a week in lieu of getting services from an iteinrent TOD. You might also get better support services in general (as most mainstream sped deptstend to cater mostly towards LD kids) Then again.........if you're just one of those fade into the woodwork types, the snobs might not even notice you.

ching.........do you have an IEP or access to a TOD? One thing that I would look into is maybe seeing if there are other high schools in your area that have dhh programs. It does seem to be not too uncommon to have social issues in high school. My thinking is that you could maybe attend another school's dhh program (the kind I'm thinking of is the kind with a "resource room" with a TOD who provides services) at least once a week in lieu of getting services from an iteinrent TOD. You might also get better support services in general (as most mainstream sped deptstend to cater mostly towards LD kids) Then again.........if you're just one of those fade into the woodwork types, the snobs might not even notice you.

I've been meeting with the TOD since the 6th grade. I have this open house thing tomorrow so I'm going to see how things go there, hopefully no one will even notice. No, I'm not one of those kids....that's why I'm worried. Thanks for all the help. =)

Back