I am not deaf, but I would like someone to email me

Raylonis

Reaction score
Greetings Friends,

From my title, I am not deaf. But i would like to learn sign language. I have become very intrigued by your culture, seeing as i did a project on it and ASL out of pure curiousity. But again, I would really like to learn, but i dont know where to start or even how to start. I have many deaf friends, but I cant talk to them persay because One i dont know Sign Language and Two they go too fast for the signs i do know. I hope that my post is allowed here, and is not insulting. I am 19 years old and in college in NC. My school offers a ASL 1 program, and actually teach it as a language. I'm a bit intimidated by the course, so i havent enrolled myself in it yet because honestly, im scared. I wish to learn the language because i respect it and the culture, and every single D/HH person out there. I could never fathom how hard it is. Someday i plan to be a deaf psychology major, but i figured i would have to learn a little bit first. Again thank you for your time and i appreciate any email that i get. My email is BlissM@lrc.edu And im sorry in advance for any harsh feelings to this email, it was not my intention to create any.

Sincerely,
Mike Bliss

Welcom to AllDeaf! Enjoy your stay! :thumb:

I do see your problem. Have you tried telling your friends that you are trying to learn? If they were understandable, they would be patient and take the time to communicate with you the best you can. You can also take ASL classes or read ASL books. You may not get the signs right immediately, but you'll catch on as you use them. It also helps to have someone to sign with than sitting alone trying to learn by yourself.

See i face a similar problem you see... im learning hebrew, but im not jewish... israli or what not... but im teaching it witht he aid of audio cd's (theyre not the best to use if your 1/2 deaf) lol books and witht he aid of my best friend... he explains alot and tells me what to and what not to say

Thank you to you all

Thank you all for your emails and posts, i appreciate it. Im on the beggining of my journey of learning ASL. Maybe some day ill be able to talk to my friends hehe. Again, i respect each and every one of you, i appreciate your help and sincerity. I shall post more when i can on how my progress in this new adventure is going. I may take some classes here in college but im still alittle bit scared. Keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Mike Bliss, 19.
Special thanks: bbnt for his Email
Special thanks: )J(
:beer: i had to put this one, i was laughing so hard when i saw it. hehe

Last edited:
:cheers: Slangevar Klavarren dude

if you have msn feel free to add me man.... its the same adress i used to email you with :)

I live in a small town called Hickory, not the best college town out there but it will do. Im currently a sophomore, and am studying Forensics, Criminology, Psychology, Sociology and soon to be a Deaf Edu. Deaf Psy major as well.

Sincerely,
Mike

Welcome To All Deaf Message Board, I have a Sign Language Degree in Sign Language, I went to FSC ( Fairmont State College) for a A.A. Degree...... Happy Posting!!! :wave:

By the way if anyone would want to IM me they can, im generally on AIM a lot so, Dark ParadoX23. My learning of ASL is coming along well, im really interested in this and happy that so many helped me get started. Thank you much.

Raylonis
:dj: :twisted:

Welcome! I'm glad that you're interested in our culture, and I am sure most of us are patience with people who are interested in learning about the deafness and ASL. I am among them. :thumb: Feel free to post anything you want to learn about ASL/Deafness/Culture. If you think it may offend us somehow, don't worry because some of us will let you know. Enjoy your stay! :wave:

Hi Raylonis and welcome to Alldeaf! Ask away anything you want to know and we will more than glad to help you in any way we can! Have fun reading and posting in here! :)

How come no one is even bothering to tell her about the secret handshake requirement????
First things first!

Beowulf said:
How come no one is even bothering to tell her about the secret handshake requirement????
First things first!
Whos "her"? i thought Raylonis is a guy!....

Hi R!
I'm in a similar situation as you, and I love comming to this site. Everyone here has been helpful and patient with the clumsiness of the hearing folk :Oops: .
Thanks everyone for being so nice and helpful! :thumb:

Defee said:
Whos "her"? i thought Raylonis is a guy!....

Jeez, another joke fell flat.
I just GOTTA hire a new team of writers...

hee hee Defee, thanks for pulling my nuts outta the fire in time!

Mike - I am in Asheville. Hubby went to LRC a few years back. :) You should come to Lake Lure later this month for a deaf picnic - meet a lot of deaf people in one place, and some of us can help you around. Also, there will be some interpreting students there as well. I know just the person for you to talk to - send me a PM!!!!

Back