I am blind, raised by deaf parents

Pony

Reaction score
My name is Paula. But everyone calls me Pony.

I was born blind to deaf parents. Most people don't even realize I am blind at first, let alone accept I was raised by people without the sense I use most. My dad went deaf in his teens, but mom was born deaf.

As a kid I learned a lot of sign language and tactile signing. I suppose it seems hard to learn sign language by touch. My parents taught me by putting my hands on theirs while signing and showing me how to by moving my hands that specific way. Of course I'm not perfect at figuring out what someone is saying since a lot of words feel the same, but I can sign like a pro. My dad could speak so he was a good translator.

According to my family it was hard to make sure I was out of trouble haha. I did and still do get around by listening rather than using a stick, guide dog or such(the best way I can explain this is sort of like echolocation, I guess) and as a child I could sneak around without my parents seeing. I knew the house very well and every spot my parents couldnt see.

If you wonder how I use computer I use a braille display.

So I was raised in a deaf family I have many deaf friends. I have joined this site wondering if any one on here is friends or relatives with a blind person. Sorry if my typing is bad.

Welcome to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading your braille and typing on many topics. Your typing is really great. No errors. I understand you perfectly. See you around here on AD. **wave**

Welcome Pony to Alldeaf.com. It is interesting you are able to use a Braille display on your computer.
Sometimes technology is a great assistance for some of us.

Welcome Pony. I hope you find this site very helpful. There are great people here with a lot of information.

hi..i did know someone with 'ushers',came to d/c some there could communicate fluent but i wasn't one sad to say

Hi Pony,

You're just the person I need to speak to :) I have CAPD, which is where my ears work fine, but my brain doesn't hear / process the sounds. My wife is blind. She was born with Glaucoma.

We've talked about both of us learning sign for some years. However, we aren't sure how it will benefit as, if I'm signing, how does my wife see what I'm doing? She'd need to be stood right near me with her head following both hands just to get an idea of what I'm doing :)

How do you do this with your parents? Do you have to touch their hands while they sign?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Btw, what country are you from?

Oh, also, I'm helping out with the Bristol Braille Technology Group. We're building the first budget Braille display. As you know, Braille displays normally cost around £1500 / $2500 for the cheapest one. We're building one that should cost around £150 / $200, all being well.

Thought you might find that of interest :)

Hi Lazarus,

I just joined I'm hearing and seeing but i'm learning BSL, and am interested in all forms of communication as a design student.
I live in Bristol and hadn't heard of the Bristol Braille Technology group definetly something I will be looking into.
Do you live in Bristol?

I used to. I live in the cotswolds, now. I'm just about to learn BSL, which I'm excited about. There'll be less communication issues in my household from here on in :D

BBT has now had its new Braille Display go into production en masse, which is amazing. Expect to see a display that's one tenth the cost of the next cheapest display go on sale next year :)

welcome! what a life story! you must have the patience of a saint! Because you are blind, do you have a Tex-to-Voice read back screen?? I am very interested in technology

Back