I am a new hearing person with a deaf son

It has really moderated in recent years.
I saw you're in Boston! Are you hooked up with DEAF INC, The Learning Center for Deaf Children, Beverly School for the Deaf or Horace Mann School for the Deaf and Hoh? Don't contact SHHH since, the Boston SHHH is really more of an auxerailly for oral deaf kids. And the Boston AG Bell is FILLED to the BRIM with stereotypical high acheiver oral deaf kids.[/QUOTE]

yes.... the Learning Center for the Deaf...
They are great.... They are close and I like the people there... very friendly...

Awww you do have beautiful looking children, Sherri RN4u2 :)
I will keep your son in my prayers as he goes for his surgery on this Thursday. Keep us updated.
I will also say a prayer for your husband and you :hug:

G'day Sherri RN4u2,
Welcome to AD. Hope you'll enjoy it here. Nicholas is lucky to have a mother and siblings who's speaking in ASL to him. Regarding your hubby, men are never good at accepting these kind of things :roll:
Hope Nicholas's operation will be a success.
Cheers :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf! You seem to be one of the few hearing parents I am not mad at here (the other one being jillio at the moment). Learning ASL for your kid is a GREAT thing you can do for your child. Best of luck to you.

(I am hearing myself and plan to adopt deaf children later on...)

Hey... what do you know, men are such hard headed, sometimes. Your kids are sweet. I'm glad to hear that your son's fine, but your husband will realized in one day he will need to accept the fact and love his son as he is.

Welcome to AD..

I'm the father of a deaf girl. (and two hearing children) (See Signature below)

Hope to see you elsewhere... Plenty to learn here...

Oh does he have a syndrome or is he multiply handicapped?
That's great that you're already hooked up with TLC......maybe he'll go there when he is old enough for school! That's also good that he is responding well to the Sign......indicates that no mental issues or anything like that.

Sherri,
First, welcome to AD...you'll have a lot of fun here and there is lots to learn. Secondly, don't worry about being hearing. I too am hearing and had the same worries that you did. I quickly learned that I had nothing to worry about. The folks here were very welcoming and have helped me out considerably. I've made many friends here and most of them I see being life-long friendships. Welcome again, and I hope you enjoy your stay!

gnulinuxman said:
(I am hearing myself and plan to adopt deaf children later on...)

Awww... You must love deaf children the same way as I do. It makes you a good person, Did you know that? :hug:

Hello,
Welcome you stay AD and let's breath away....

Beautiful baby.. I'm quite proud you really took hertiage big heart for your child who have sydrome... Im very touched my heart goes out for you.... Honestly Beautiful baby boy!
Congrats have your baby boy... and open learning ASL for your best interest child!
Way to go!

Welcome!

I mean he talks to him like he can hear.. I keep saying and showing him ,how to talk and sign at the same time...

Sherri RN4u2,

Perhaps Cued English/Cued Speech is a method that your husband would find more comfortable.

Cued Speech is a visual communication system that uses eight handshapes in four different placements near the face in combination with the mouth movements of speech to make the sounds of spoken language look different from each other.

Explanation:

The cueing of a traditionally spoken language is the visual counterpart of speaking it. Cueing makes available to the eye(s) the same linguistic building blocks that speaking avails the ear(s). Until the advent of cueing, the term spoken language accurately described what had been the only way of distinctly conveying these building blocks: speaking. In fact, until that time, the sounds of speech and the building blocks were thought of as one and the same.

Nevertheless, speaking is simply a process of manipulating tongue placement, breath stream, and voice to produce a sound code that represents these building blocks. The blocks are assembled by way of the stream of sounds produced by these manipulations. Cueing is a process of manipulating handshapes, hand placements, and non-manual signals to produce a visible code representing the same building blocks. The blocks are assembled by way of the stream of cues produced by these manipulations. Because cueing is the visible counterpart of speaking, cued language is the visible counterpart of spoken language.

Here is a link:
http://www.cuedspeech.org/sub/cued/definition.asp

the most important point to remember is that all family members need to feel included. No parent should feel that a communication method is "wrong" if it is providing quality interaction among family members.

http://www.tlcdeaf.org/abouttlc/mssn_faq.htm#reading and writing

I totally support inclusion. My question is this, how successful is inclusion if the child is not recieving a complete language?

Compared to hearing children, my child has poor reading and writing skills. Why?

Reading is a cyclical skill: one enjoys reading and seeks out printed information only when one is comfortable and facile in the printed language; the more one reads, the more skilled he or she becomes in the use of that printed language

http://www.tlcdeaf.org/abouttlc/mssn_faq.htm#reading and writing

I wonder what the literacy statistics are?

What is TLC's policy and philosophy on "inclusion"?

Inclusion is a policy which places all students who have special needs into regular public school classrooms for their entire day.

How is it inclusion if you do not use the same language?

Currently, TLC staff take care to keep the two languages separate so that they provide a pure and clear language model both in ASL and in English.

How have the staff been trained in ASL? Are they native users?

*inquiring minds want to know*

deaf son

hi sheri I am also a monthe of a hearing impared son, If your son only has moderate to severe hearing loss he is not deaf. he can hear alot..even with out aides. my son started out mild to modreate then severe to profound when you get to severe to profound you are considered legally deaf. does your son have hearing aides??my son had them at 6 weeks.. what a differece it made in him.He now has a cochlear implant and a hearing aide and is doing amazing. Let me know how your son is???I am sorry your son has gone through so much I know whats that like. My husband was very accepting of everything ...we cried together,prayed together. now we are moving forward and doing the best for our baby.My husband even had a fundraiser to help another child receive the gift of hearing. and was able to raise over 2,000 so a child who cant afford hearing aides can get a pair.Its hard thing to go through but God will get you through it. samanta

Sherri RN4u2 said:
Thank you all so much for saying HI and giving me the "NEWBIE" advice that I so need.

It is funny to hear (I mean read :Oops: ) you call hearing people "HEARIES" LOL :lol: as when I read "hearies" I saw HAIRIES, and i was like what in the world is a "hairy?" A crazy hearing person???

VENTING TIME......

I wish my "hairy" Hubby was open to ASL... he is in such DENIAL about Nicholas. I mean he talks to him like he can hear.. I keep saying and showing him how to talk and sign at the same time.... he keeps saying that I know he can hear me.....
He reminds me of the person who talks really LOUDLY to the Russian person thinking that if they talk loud enough that the language barrier will go away. We always talk louder to them expecting them to understand what we are saying.... IT's like WAKE up you BOZO, the Russian lady is not deaf !!!
I feel like this with my husband....I feel like my husband and I even have a language barrier between us at this time in our lives. We just can't seem to agree on Most things...
What's a MOm to do ? :dunno: I am doing the best I can. I took this year off from work to be with him and learn all I can.

Nicholas has had 8 surgeries in the first 9.5 months of his life.
He is having his 9th surgery this Thursday.... For those of you spiritual folks, please send prayers.
The only other thing that he needs to have done this year is have his feeding tube removed, which will be done in August.
This Thursday my little guy will be having his tear ducts created in both of his eyes. He was born without tear ducts. We originally thought that his ducts were just blocked but when he had a surgery to attempt to open them, the EYE surgeon said that we would have to reschedule as there was nothing to open, he doesn't have ducts, they will need to be created with Tubes that will be sewn into place for the next 3 months.

The good news is.... My other two kids (Rachel 6 and Lauren 4) really enjoy learning sign language. I am teaching them how to sing/sign the ABC song, which the little guy LOVES...
It is so amazing the way that he studies my hands when I am doing this with him. He loves it...
I have seen him "babbling" in ASL to him self.. AND today he finally signed "more" to the yummy blueberry applesauce that i was giving him tonight at dinner. (this is a first) but it made me feel so good to see him do it and then when I got all excited, he got all excited and started smiling and got all squirmy in his seat.... It was sooooo cute!
The Learning Center for the Deaf is part of Nicks early intervention process. We are having in home classes this summer with the two girls to learn how to play with him and sign with ASL. If you all have any suggestions as to how to get through to my husband, I am open to your suggestions. (We are already seeing a counselor)

Thanks for listening... GOD BLESS

i will keep your sweetie in my prayers and hope he will get thru the surgery. :angel: do let me know how he is doing ok? :)

Is there something wrong with being a high achiever?
No, not at all. However, what I meant by that is the type of family who gives their kids toys that will increase their SAT scores so they can get into an Ivy League college, and become a high powered yuppie type.

Oh, and Sherry, maybe your husband is just having trouble accepting your son. It's very common for males to have trouble accepting disabilties.
One thing that your husband should accept, is that his son is still going to be a typical little boy, with a physical difference. He'll wear hearing aids and talk differently, and Sign......but he'll still love to read the Hardy Boys, build treehouses, play sports etc etc. Seriously.......having a kid with hearing loss is not that big.....We have as much potentional as ANYONE else! We can do anything except hear!

deafdyke said:
However, what I meant by that is the type of family who gives their kids toys that will increase their SAT scores so they can get into an Ivy League college, and become a high powered yuppie type.

deafdyke,

What is that suppose to mean?

Back