Hypocritical?

DD, I have no idea what's going on between you and Paula Rosenthal but I assume it's CI related.

I've been to her site and her site doesn't appear to be an Oral only site. According to her, she has banned you several times from HE.

I invite others to go visit HE and judge for yourselves whether or not its' an Oral only site.

DD, I have no idea what's going on between you and Paula Rosenthal but I assume it's CI related.

I've been to her site and her site doesn't appear to be an Oral only site. According to her, she has banned you several times from HE.

I invite others to go visit HE and judge for yourselves whether or not its' an Oral only site.

If she bans me for the 3 posts I put up last night. I just put up basically the same POV I post here on AD, will that be suspicous? Just waiting to see what happens but noooo I am not going in there being all anti- CI or anything..:)

She won't ban you. In fact, she welcomed you.
he's right...

Hi Shel,

Welcome to HearingExchange! It is so nice to hear about your personal experiences with ASL and oral language. I'm a firm believer that no single approach is right for everyone. Families need to do their own research, explore all the options and decide what is the best approach for their child. I highly recommend the book, "Choices in Deafness" by Sue Schwartz. Sue does a great job of discussing all the communication modes available including ASL, Cued Speech, oral, etc.

Again, welcome to our community.

~ Paula

There you go :D

Shel90, I'm not banned even though I agreed with your post and yes the forum there is painful to navigate there.

no it wasn't ci related but begging others to include signs aggressively.

I lurk there occasionally as a voice from the real world (as opposed to the post-lingally deafened world)

I just wanted to point out that those of us who are post-lingually deaf are also deaf. Our experiences may be different from yours; but we also live in the real world. You may feel that HE is 'tainted' by advice given by posties to parents of prelinguals (at which point I would disagree), but there's no call to insinuate that the postlingual deaf are living in some sort of delusion.

no it wasn't ci related but begging others to include signs aggressively.

like a case of not knowing when to back off? There are times when I feel like begging people to use ASL but if I sense that their hearts are not in it, then I will back off just like I did with my neighbor. There was sooo much I wanted to say but she looked like a deer caught in headlights so I just backed off.

Me too. I had to bite my tounge off a bit at HE today regarding sign.

Well first your deaf, then second your a dyke.

I dont think those are two groups in the majority??? So I doubt they think you are speaking from the "real world".

Real world is subjective based on individual experience and perception. Real world has nothing to do with minority/majority status.

Frankly, that really does suck. I really wish that parents would explore all options so that they can make educated decisions based on what they think would be best for their kids. This owner shouldn't chide you for trying to suggest that to the parents. Shame on him. It amazes me because I teach ASL to HEARING KIDS aged 7 to 16 at a homeschooling academy, and the parents said that the kids totally love the classes. The parents said that they think the ASL classes really help them to express themselves in other way. But of course, there will always be audists out there who thinks they know what is best, and try to impose that on others without trying to learn something themselves.
From what I have seen here and in real life I have yet to find any of these parents that don't explore all options. Also some folks seem to bash us becuase we do investigate other (non ASL) options. Sometimes I feel like we just can't win no matter what we do.

Yes, I know....however they claim that it's a supportive atmosphere...why isn't it supportive for EVERYONE,not just oral options? I post about my experiances and I get yelled at! It really does make me MAD!

JUst ignore these IDIOTS.... you have a right to voice your opinions...

I just wanted to point out that those of us who are post-lingually deaf are also deaf.
Oh agreed! Definitly agreed..........but the thing is, that posties have an advantage over prelingal deaf in speech. Even kids who went deaf early (like two or three) have a big advantage over someone who has always been dhh. Also, posties sometimes don't identify all that much with Deaf culture. Some of them DO, and some of them don't, but it does seem like a lot of them tend to flock towards orgs like HLAA- and ALDA.
Boult,
admittly I may have been a little too agressive about ASL early on, but on the other hand, she is very extremely pro-oral......and when we're talking pro-oral, she's pro oral ONLY. At least I'm pro-full toolbox. Her stance is very tokenist.......like "oh well, might as well accept it so we don't get accused of being politically incorrect. The bias is really kind of subtle.....you really gotta analyze it, to realize its there.
Now, the forums over at Hands and Voices and Help Kids Hear, are a lot better. They push EVERYTHING....it's not pro oral or pro ASL or whatever....

Oh agreed! Definitly agreed..........but the thing is, that posties have an advantage over prelingal deaf in speech. Even kids who went deaf early (like two or three) have a big advantage over someone who has always been dhh. Also, posties sometimes don't identify all that much with Deaf culture. Some of them DO, and some of them don't, but it does seem like a lot of them tend to flock towards orgs like HLAA- and ALDA.
Boult,
admittly I may have been a little too agressive about ASL early on, but on the other hand, she is very extremely pro-oral......and when we're talking pro-oral, she's pro oral ONLY. At least I'm pro-full toolbox. Her stance is very tokenist.......like "oh well, might as well accept it so we don't get accused of being politically incorrect. The bias is really kind of subtle.....you really gotta analyze it, to realize its there.
Now, the forums over at Hands and Voices and Help Kids Hear, are a lot better. They push EVERYTHING....it's not pro oral or pro ASL or whatever....

Not only an advantage in speech, but generally an advantage in language acquisition and development, as well.

I'm well aware of that, and I do understand that posties tend to 'favor' oral approaches to some degree. But there's no call to tar us all with the same brush, even when you're getting excited about a specific group. That many posties choose to live in the hearing world doesn't mean they're not living in the "real world". And many - myself included - may not feel like part of the Deaf world (duh), but that doesn't mean we consider ourselves hearing, either, or that we're somehow 'in denial'.

I surf through AGBell, it seems they are nuetral for providing resources however they only teach oral methods. In one of the pages said there is many other options to teach the kids including ASL. Nice to know that.

beetarehoh, true......and someone told me it's not that unusual to see 'terps at AG Bell conferences. LOL........AG Bell must be rolling over in his grave. Well I think that's b/c they've somewhat accepted that most oral kids do eventually pick up ASL as a second language. A lot of the oral people however can be VERY extremist.

That many posties choose to live in the hearing world doesn't mean they're not living in the "real world". And many - myself included - may not feel like part of the Deaf world (duh), but that doesn't mean we consider ourselves hearing, either, or that we're somehow 'in denial'.
I didn't mean that posites don't live in the real world. What I meant is that oral only for many prelingals isn't very real world realistic. Yes, some prelings do well, but using a postie's experiance and broadening that to assume that b/c a posite's done well, isn't that great.
Oh, and I agree..........A postie isn't hearing or in denial...Rather they are the population for which the label "hearing impaired" is very appropreate....I can and do undy that. Like my best friend is low vision......he's fine with that.....but he also is very empatheic towards folks who went blind later in life, b/c while he's used to it........they aren't.

Back