Hyperacusis**Help!!!

Angel1989

Premium Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about Hyperacusis? This was the latest diagnosis I received yesterday. It does explain a lot of my issues. Trying to get as much information as I can. From what I am told, or should say what I tried to lipread was that this is not common with someone who has a total hearing loss like me. Is that true? Apparently this is why I have the "fullness" feeling in my head and ears and why noises can cuase extreme pain.

OK Botti fill me with your extreme knowledge:lol:

Can anyone tell me about Hyperacusis? This was the latest diagnosis I received yesterday. It does explain a lot of my issues. Trying to get as much information as I can. From what I am told, or should say what I tried to lipread was that this is not common with someone who has a total hearing loss like me. Is that true? Apparently this is why I have the "fullness" feeling in my head and ears and why noises can cuase extreme pain.

OK Botti fill me with your extreme knowledge:lol:

Don't think you will like it. :wave:

I actually had hyperacusis when my auditory nerve was going through damage with Ramsay Hunt syndrome. Everything that was sound hurt horribly, and it seems to still happen occasionally. But it is actual hearing, like my dog's bark almost making me pass out with pain, when normally I barely notice it.

Since you have a total loss of hearing , as far as I am aware, hyperacusis is not a possibility for you.

I wanted to add, you can have hyperacusis from damage to the brain, but not if you have no hearing.

It has to be from actual sound.

Thanks Botti...your right it is pretty depressing reading about this. I am sorry you have experienced this cos it is brutal. The doctor said this was due from nerve damage more then likely due from the brain injury. You can actually see areas on my MRI that are white where the damage is.
Apparently this is why my mapping on my CI is such a challenge. It will be ok, ok, ok then WOW massive pain. I just want my flight to be ok and worry about all this later. Not much I can do on a 5+ hour flight over the ocean anyway, right?
Thanks for your input!!

Thanks Botti...your right it is pretty depressing reading about this. I am sorry you have experienced this cos it is brutal. The doctor said this was due from nerve damage more then likely due from the brain injury. You can actually see areas on my MRI that are white where the damage is.
Apparently this is why my mapping on my CI is such a challenge. It will be ok, ok, ok then WOW massive pain. I just want my flight to be ok and worry about all this later. Not much I can do on a 5+ hour flight over the ocean anyway, right?
Thanks for your input!!

THis is cortical deafness?

I was diagnosed with it as a result of PTSD (neurological nightmare) My Central nervous system rewired itself and it suddenly seemed like every sound was just grating, painful and irritating. My own music seemed to be my only saving grace. It was familiar. I knew what was coming, every note, every beat so I expected each in advance and found some times I could leave it on long enough to sing along. A sound I could hear without distress or pain.

I had specialty earplugs made to leave the house (mall, shopping, etc). Apparently musicians get them. They are custom made and fitted and they have a screen in them that puts my hearing from 'normal' to 25db loss. (and can be swapped out to increase the sound blocking properties). However, I don't use them very often . They are better for home. I found that I became frustrated trying to wear them out of the house. While they helped reduce offending noises, they also prevented me from hearing the cashier or other people around me and I would have to keep taking them out to function.
I also don't wear them often out of fear. I was told that if I have them in too much, my brain will start trying to overcompensate and hear more of the "muffled sound" and make the hyperacusis worse. I still worry about wearing them so I don't very often now.

It's better now. I still have wicked tinnitus and a full feeling in my head, but most of the time, noises are easier to tolerate. I do find that if I'm tired or sick, I don't have the ability to "block out" as much.Recently it's been a bit harder. I am studying to be an ASL interpreter and I spend my days in mostly silent classes. I find that when I go out of the classroom, it's overpowering. I think that the contrast is a bit much for me and maybe I should consider wearing them home if I don't need to talk or hear anyone.

It's a miserable disorder and I'm sorry you have to go through it. Find a quiet place and make it your refuge when you are frustrated by the unrelenting sounds of the world.

I was diagnosed with it as a result of PTSD (neurological nightmare) My Central nervous system rewired itself and it suddenly seemed like every sound was just grating, painful and irritating. My own music seemed to be my only saving grace. It was familiar. I knew what was coming, every note, every beat so I expected each in advance and found some times I could leave it on long enough to sing along. A sound I could hear without distress or pain.

I had specialty earplugs made to leave the house (mall, shopping, etc). Apparently musicians get them. They are custom made and fitted and they have a screen in them that puts my hearing from 'normal' to 25db loss. (and can be swapped out to increase the sound blocking properties). However, I don't use them very often . They are better for home. I found that I became frustrated trying to wear them out of the house. While they helped reduce offending noises, they also prevented me from hearing the cashier or other people around me and I would have to keep taking them out to function.
I also don't wear them often out of fear. I was told that if I have them in too much, my brain will start trying to overcompensate and hear more of the "muffled sound" and make the hyperacusis worse. I still worry about wearing them so I don't very often now.

It's better now. I still have wicked tinnitus and a full feeling in my head, but most of the time, noises are easier to tolerate. I do find that if I'm tired or sick, I don't have the ability to "block out" as much.Recently it's been a bit harder. I am studying to be an ASL interpreter and I spend my days in mostly silent classes. I find that when I go out of the classroom, it's overpowering. I think that the contrast is a bit much for me and maybe I should consider wearing them home if I don't need to talk or hear anyone.

It's a miserable disorder and I'm sorry you have to go through it. Find a quiet place and make it your refuge when you are frustrated by the unrelenting sounds of the world.
That's not really how hyperacusis works.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

asl.student said:

What you're describing isn't actually hyperacusis - it's a form of neurological processing issue which may be a symptom/side effect of your PTSD. (Which is totally different than hyperacusis. It's also totally unrelated to APD, CAPD, AN etc).

Last edited:
asl.student

You might want to look into cognitive therapy (or ABBT) as a means of learning to manage the sound issues. I lot of times situations like you are describing can be greatly helped or even "cured" by specific therapies (and skill learning) which can alter the way the body responses to sounds etc - bringing them back to more "normal responses". It's done a lot with people who have been in war,. trauma or abusive situations in which their body/brain links loud/specific sounds with danger etc ... the brain can (often) be retrained to revert back to a more pre-trauma response. It's a similar process as what people with chronic pain may learn to help them "over ride" pain sensations or "reset" pain levels back to more benign levels ... it's a lot of work - but it's well worth the effort.

Back