Howdy!

L

lizzard

I am a hearing mom teaching my hearing children ASL. I have had no formal training in ASL; we have learned everything from books and videos. I am looking for other people who know ASL to communicate with. It probably seems silly, but I'm having a hard time meeting anybody. I have looked for classes in ASL and there are plenty for me, but none for my kids since we aren't deaf. Ideally I would like to establish a sign language club for children in our area. I would love some suggestions. Thanks for your time.

:wave: welcome to AD enjoy ur stay! :D

u can try the deaf related resources on the web and get some information on how to start up a ASL club for children in ur area -- good luck!

welcome!!! So what amde you choose to teach yourself and yoyr children sign lang. since you have not had many deaf experince?

Welcome to AD! Hope you find this site an educational and friendly place...I'm pretty sure there will be people that'll have the answers to your questions.
You can google for American Sign Language -- I'm pretty sure there's a local services that'll help.

OhioCincinn said:
welcome!!! So what amde you choose to teach yourself and yoyr children sign lang. since you have not had many deaf experince?
GAIA!!! (Sing and Sign w/Gaia, Kid's Sign Club)
Oh I can give you a couple of rationales in my head, but the truth is I wanted my kids to learn a second language. I don't know any, and language is a very weak skill of mine. I thought sign language was something I wouldn't mispronounce or misconjugate. I have now learned, ASL is not something that translates directly, just like any other foreign language. Regardless, I have become entranced by its beauty and I now frequently find myself signing to people or thinking in signs. All the other preschool moms think I'm quite bizarre.

I really want to start a sign language club for kids. I even have a place to conduct the meetings. I have sent flyers to several of the local colleges and deaf schools looking for volunteers to help me. I have called the center for the hearing impaired in my local school district. I even sent an email to Gaia, but she didn't respond. I don't mind doing all the leg work for the club, but I really need someone who can make sure I don't misinstruct the kids on the signs. I have made lots and lots of phone calls and found only dead ends. I have been online (that's how I found this site) but I haven't found any kids clubs. I sent an email to a coordinator for local deaf outings, but I haven't received a response. I'm not sure if anyone shares my enthusiasm for this type of club, and if so, how to find them.

Back