How to sign "size" and "inch"?

society's_child

Reaction score
I don't think I ever learned those signs. If the topic came up i always fingerspelled them.

size= both downturned "Y" hands,thumbs touching, come together and separate a few times.

inch= Left thumb stick up. Right index and thumb touch tip and first joint of left thumb to indicate an inch.

as expected of Ministry of Language. MAKE ME PROUD :mad2:

I will do my utmost, to uphold my duties!
2pspqpx.gif

size= both downturned "Y" hands,thumbs touching, come together and separate a few times.

inch= Left thumb stick up. Right index and thumb touch tip and first joint of left thumb to indicate an inch.

Interesting!

My sign for "size" is the same as Botti.

However--my sign for "inch" is different from her's. Maybe due to regionalism? :dunno:

Inch= Two letter 'I''s with right pinky touching left pinky from top down.

After seeing Botti's--I am adopting her version.

Never signed inch before or had a need to that I can remember, but I measured my thumb from first joint to tip and it is pretty close to an inch.

Interesting!

However--my sign for "inch" is different from her's. Maybe due to regionalism? :dunno:

Ha! That proves my fitness for my Ministry position!:P

Never signed inch before or had a need to that I can remember, but I measured my thumb from first joint to tip and it is pretty close to an inch.

And now you said that, I did too, and mine is also.

I never even thought about that being really true for the size, just the sign.

So it is very sensible. :)

Interesting!

I thought the distance from the top of your pinky to the joint was just about a centimeter? Now I gotta ask: what's the sign for centimeter?

I thought the distance from the top of your pinky to the joint was just about a centimeter? Now I gotta ask: what's the sign for centimeter?

Just the letters "C" "M" in the center of the chest.

Or alternate= "C" hands, palms out, thumbs touching, then move apart in a horizontal line.

YAY!!!!

{and you are welcome Bramus}

i'm practicing numbers in ASL.. i'm little gobsmacked. it's little tricky since I sign with my left. can i use pointy + middle + ring for "3" ? I see that instructor uses thumb instead of ring.

Back