How to shield your kid from eating disorders?

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
A balanced approach to body image and food is vital to avoiding issues such as bulimia and anorexia. Here are tips for parents

Research shows that the age of onset of eating disorders such as bulimia and anorexia is getting younger and younger. To discuss this worrisome trend and offer advice to parents, “Today” invited eating-disorders expert Adrienne Ressler onto the show. Here is advice from Ressler, who is National Training Director of the Renfrew Center, a group of facilities that specialize in the treatment and prevention of such conditions.

Healthy messages start at birth...

It's never too early to start making sure your kids get healthy messages about food, diet, nutrition, and their bodies. This is something that should start at birth. Seriously.

When the concept of eating-disorders prevention first started about 15 years ago, we at the Renfrew Center targeted our efforts at college students — and we found that it was already too late. Then we shifted younger — toward high schoolers and then toward kids in junior high. And it's still not early enough.

This is NOT to blame parents, but there's a lot in our culture that leads to this. We are obsessed with fat and with body image. We hear lots of stories about parents and caregivers being too concerned with a baby's weight. At times it's just really inappropriate.

Finding the right balance…

With all the messages in the media about overweight Americans and also all the talk about being careful to avoid eating disorders, it's important to find the right balance. It can all be a bit confusing — especially to a parent who's trying to figure out the best way to deal with kids.

There is constant talk about the epidemic of obesity, especially among the young, yet parents need to be careful not to spend too much time talking about fat and body issues with, or in front of, young kids.

We have to find a middle ground — finding the right balance is key. The so-called "war" on obesity is shaming to overweight people. For example, in Colorado, there's even a school district that sends a child's body fat percentage home on the student's report card!

Why some kids and not others…

Kids are a fertile training ground for eating disorders. Girls more than boys, but the number of boys is getting higher. Years ago, boys were 1 percent or 2 percent of the total. Now they they're 5 percent to 10 percent of the total.

We see that kids who have issues with safety, control and anxiety are more likely to develop eating disorders. We know that certain types of kids are in fact more predisposed to developing eating disorders. To some extent, it has to do with genetics. But other key factors are the presence of anxiety and/or depression — and these can frequently be triggered by the environment, such as family problems or a sense of not being able to keep things under control.

Teasing makes things worse…

It's very hard for kids who truly are overweight — they tend to be teased or ostracized by their peers and made to feel ashamed of their bodies. So what then ends up happening is that kids focus on their weight and size because that's the only way they know to try to control their lives.

What parents can do…

Kids need to understand that their self-worth is not dependent on their weight or body shape. If your child complains that she or he feels too fat, you shouldn't dismiss it, and you should ask your child more about it.

Parents need to stop making their own weight and size an issue. And they need to be careful about making kids fearful of food. Parents need to be responsible for creating a healthy environment at home.

If a parent is someone who's on a diet, or someone who struggles with weight, you need to think about what impact this might be having on your kids. For example, if the parent constantly talks about his/her own unhappiness with his/her body, the child will hear this and could end up getting negative messages about food and body image.

A much better way is for the entire family to eat healthy meals. Everyone should eat the same thing. The meals should be balanced — and should not be like being on a diet. It's not a good idea to rule out or eliminate certain types of food (no pasta, no sugar, etc.).

Five tips for parents

1. Avoid negative statements about your own body and your own eating.

2. Do not pressure your child to be a superstar, super achiever, or perfect.

3. Help your child develop interests and skills which will lead to personal expression and fulfillment without undue emphasis on appearance.

4. Make family meals relaxed and friendly. Refrain from commenting on children's eating, resolving family conflicts at the table and using food as a punishment or reward.

5. Know your child. If you notice a pattern of anxiety or depression, get help immediately.

kids eating disorders

^ Amen!

It's very hard for kids who truly are overweight — they tend to be teased or ostracized by their peers and made to feel ashamed of their bodies. So what then ends up happening is that kids focus on their weight and size because that's the only way they know to try to control their lives.

Yep, It sure is very hard on overweight kids, I wish other kids would stop the tease. And there is nothing to be ashamed about either. The teasing kids need to look at themselves before teasing others.

If a parent is someone who's on a diet, or someone who struggles with weight, you need to think about what impact this might be having on your kids. For example, if the parent constantly talks about his/her own unhappiness with his/her body, the child will hear this and could end up getting negative messages about food and body image.

That is very true too. Because that gives the kids an idea to struggle with their weight too.

Thanks for posting these points, Somewhat it is very important too. ;)

Cheri said:
Yep, It sure is very hard on overweight kids, I wish other kids would stop the tease. And there is nothing to be ashamed about either. The teasing kids need to look at themselves before teasing others.

Kids don't know any better when it comes to teasing because they mirror behaviour they learn from their peers. Kids will tease until they realise it is wrong and they will apologise not when they are forced to but when they know they have really hurt their friends' feelings. Once again, children's reasoning and logic doesn't even come to them until an older age. They need older people to guide them.

Cookie Monster said:
Kids don't know any better when it comes to teasing because they mirror behaviour they learn from their peers. Kids will tease until they realise it is wrong and they will apologise not when they are forced to but when they know they have really hurt their friends' feelings. Once again, children's reasoning and logic doesn't even come to them until an older age. They need older people to guide them.

Yes, I agree that the kids don't know any better, But isn't it the parent's role to be teaching their children to respect others the way they want to be treated? If they were taught that way, then there wouldn't be an issue correct? ;)

True, Cookie Monster

I teach my children to not make fun/judge of other children and adult but respect them.

My eldest son Danny already know and teach my young son Alan to not make fun of a boy who has front teeth and not to call nasty names to fat children. Danny informed us what Alan did. I explained him what Danny said is right because it´s not very nice to make fun/judge people for this but respect what they are.

It's never too early to start making sure your kids get healthy messages about food, diet, nutrition, and their bodies. This is something that should start at birth. Seriously.

True, it´s very important for the children to get the information why it´s meanfuling to eat healthy foods, diet etc. My sons already said to me what they saw fat people and ask me how it get from? I explained them why they are fat because they eat unhealthy/junk foods and sweet drink alot. NEVER say to the children directly that "you need diet because you are too fat".

The best way to avoid eating disorders is to love your child unconditionally, and show them that you do. Listen to them. Let them know they have true value and worth. Too many times, kids get the message that they aren't worth anything. This is what gives rise to an eating disorder. Food and weight are merely the symptom. Not the cause.

Cheri said:
Yes, I agree that the kids don't know any better, But isn't it the parent's role to be teaching their children to respect others the way they want to be treated? If they were taught that way, then there wouldn't be an issue correct? ;)

You're right which is why I mentioned children needed older people to guide them in my previous post. Children just do not have the logic or reasoning at a young age, it comes to them as they mature & make mistakes and learn from them. Society is too quick to ostracise those that do not conform to its ideals which is a tragedy.

Barbie dolls

Sometimes Barbie dolls give children a wrong message that we should look like this skinny thin dolls.

I would like to see an average/large dolls to teach us any size is normal!

Yeah I agree on that too but not only that, young girls do look up to models too cause they want to be perfect!

Tamara said:
Sometimes Barbie dolls give children a wrong message that we should look like this skinny thin dolls.

I would like to see an average/large dolls to teach us any size is normal!

Realistically speaking, if women had Barbie's measurements and they tried to walk on tippy-toes without heels, they'd fall flat on their faces. It'd be so wonderful to have a politically correct Barbie/Ken doll for young children to play with to break down the social barriers.

Well well well..

Children with eattin disorder.. I would point at parents' fault.. and neglect..

I am sorry for what I am saying.. I pointed myself too.. my fault and my neglect that I dont pay attention to few of my kids are overweight and eatting disorder.. because..
they are depressed that we moved different school, addition child to family, jealous, and etc..
and..
they dont play sport or get involve in sport or activities due our budget..
and...
they sit and watch tv too much.. (while i was busy with last two babies)..
now we living new home.
i am paying attention, we changed our food patterns.. less junk food.. more fruits.. more healthier food.. they dont like it.. too bad.. it will takes time for them to change eatting habit.. so far almost a month, they couldnt bear their hunger for junks.. instead.. eatting veggies and fruits.. and some healthier junk food (like grain bread or muffin or cookies).. and get out to play..
also, unplug computer and tv and phone.. and take away their gameboy or games.. kick them out to play.. or earn their chores to get on their favorite time (games, phone, computer , tv & etc )...
tough excerise to do chores..
mow lawn, trash, rake, weeding my garden, & put away stuff (toys), go for walk with two last babies.. etc..
I save indoor chores for raining days.. :D

it works.... have to stand by what you said to the kids.. even they throw fits or dont want.. TUFF SHYT!! hehe

Back