How to get my laptop to run faster.

exactly.. my macbook came with 2 GB of RAM, and i upgraded it to 4 GB. i didn't have to buy a whole new laptop, it's very easy to switch RAM sticks.

As long as you don't do it on carpet.......static electricity is the death of RAM and other components in a computer. You will have DDR2 ram:
Up to 1 GB of DDR2 533 MHz system memory, upgradeable to 2 GB using two soDIMM modules

not a bad price here:

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Memory,Laptop Memory,200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM,1GB

The link to your manual is here: Acer Support - Drivers & Download

Darn, Glenn....you beat me here..... :D

Last edited:
I use Vista 64 bit home premium with 4 GB or RAM...it kicks ****!!! Vista is RAM hungry, for sure.....one of the reasons that Windows 7 is now out....

I hate Celeron processor to my gut and I have a death wish on it... This processor IMHO is a slowest processor even though it have same speed as Pentuim processor. The reason why is because it is missing 13 instruction sets in its chips. That's why it's sold cheap. You can easily swap out for Pentuim processor cheap on Ebay if your laptop does have socket to allow you to remove, put Celeron in garbage disposal and flick a switch and watch it die!! The drop in Pentuim 4 processor, "blanket" with Antec silver paste then put heatsink in. Then put all back together and fire up your lappy. You'll see a big performance jump.

It's equivalent to ripping out 4 cylinders engine and dropping in V8 engine in. That's how I explained to my 76 yr old dad about his system. He understood me in a layman's term.

Also upgrade memory too!!

Windows Vista have issue on speed. It ran slooow on any system which was year old or older. You'll have to hack Vista in order to run the speed of Windows 7.

My Acer Aspire 5040 use AMD Turion 64 processor 1.8Ghz and it's running on XP. I did re-install XP and now it's zippy with 2GB Sodimm DDR1 memory sticks. Its Graphic chipset, ATI Xpress 200m been configured to "borrow 256mb (maxed out) from 2GB sodimm. I have loads of programs but avoid unnecessary running programs I belive it can run Winows 7 Preminuim but it may be a bit slow.

Dual core laptops are the best to purchase and you'll love its speed. No more slow bootups. I am seeing Quad core laptops too but it's a battery life killer..

I would agree with other bloggers that It's time to throw out crappy laptop and get new one. Or install Ubuntu on top of Windows (I did on my lappy and it works really nicely) and use it until you save up your $$'s for Dual or Quad core lappy.

I am saving up $$$'s to buy slim 12" or 13" Dual core lappy for my business. No Atoms please!! :lol:

Catty :cool:

Probably, you have junk stuffs in your computer cause slower.

Increase RAM will not help much speed. Won't notice big different speed.
I never like Intel Celeron Processor. One thing, people can afford to buy lower price like Celeron or Netbook's Intel Atom.
Celeron & Atom are slower than regular Intel P4 or Duo Core.
Best way to wipe out your junk stuff - re-format/re-install OS.

Most time, I do reformat HDD then re-install everything.

Nah, reformat hdd and install Ubuntu Karamec Kaola 9.10 :giggle:

Catty

I hate Celeron processor to my gut and I have a death wish on it... This processor IMHO is a slowest processor even though it have same speed as Pentuim processor. The reason why is because it is missing 13 instruction sets in its chips. That's why it's sold cheap. You can easily swap out for Pentuim processor cheap on Ebay if your laptop does have socket to allow you to remove, put Celeron in garbage disposal and flick a switch and watch it die!! The drop in Pentuim 4 processor, "blanket" with Antec silver paste then put heatsink in. Then put all back together and fire up your lappy. You'll see a big performance jump.

It's equivalent to ripping out 4 cylinders engine and dropping in V8 engine in. That's how I explained to my 76 yr old dad about his system. He understood me in a layman's term.

Also upgrade memory too!!

Windows Vista have issue on speed. It ran slooow on any system which was year old or older. You'll have to hack Vista in order to run the speed of Windows 7.

My Acer Aspire 5040 use AMD Turion 64 processor 1.8Ghz and it's running on XP. I did re-install XP and now it's zippy with 2GB Sodimm DDR1 memory sticks. Its Graphic chipset, ATI Xpress 200m been configured to "borrow 256mb (maxed out) from 2GB sodimm. I have loads of programs but avoid unnecessary running programs I belive it can run Winows 7 Preminuim but it may be a bit slow.

Dual core laptops are the best to purchase and you'll love its speed. No more slow bootups. I am seeing Quad core laptops too but it's a battery life killer..

I would agree with other bloggers that It's time to throw out crappy laptop and get new one. Or install Ubuntu on top of Windows (I did on my lappy and it works really nicely) and use it until you save up your $$'s for Dual or Quad core lappy.

I am saving up $$$'s to buy slim 12" or 13" Dual core lappy for my business. No Atoms please!! :lol:

Catty :cool:

I used Celeron on my grandma's computer and HATED IT, it is like 50 times so more slower than Pentium 4.

I used Celeron on my grandma's computer and HATED IT, it is like 50 times so more slower than Pentium 4.

Did that on my parent's system I built. I found it at the corner trash. It was a Celeron 2.0 ghz processor installed and had wrong kind of power supply. I fixed it and built it then gave it to my parent. Yes, it's soo slooooww load up and get around regardless if you have 1gb memory, and 128mb AGP graphic card installed and have tweaked XP. It sucks! My belief it had to do with cheap EZ-buddy mobo with Celeron which are speed "toxic" combo..

Catty

hmmmm Catty's recent comment reminds of how one of my freind maintained that laptops isnt to be judged by purely CPUs or RAMs, the motherboard plays a more significant part in deciding how a laptop performs. So yep I agree, which I why buy only HP laptops, esp the pavilion range or better anything less is best ignored. FSB doesnt even tell much either, its seem to be more about the layout , that is the route of the buses that counts

No wonder why I dumped 512 megs of RAM that was in my old HP laptop and went straight for 4GB worth of RAM on my Gateway. That also got me back to Intel (this time a Core2Duo) after 4 years on the AMD64

Now in a year or so it's gonna be time to go for maybe 6 to 12 GB of RAM esp with online video streaming...

More RAM Means Better Multi-Tasking and ability to use many applications open at once.

Nathan, that's a moot point because the laptop in question has two slots. I haven't seen DDR2 memory that is over 1 GB.

So basically my best bet for now is to go to Staples or Best Buy get a 4G memory stick and have a computer literate buddy of mine rip the old one out and put in a new one, and possibly even try to find a Pentium 4 processor and replace the celeron? Sounds like if I can get the parts this could be done in about a day, yes?

According to the Ubuntu site, I already run ubuntu software on my laptop - Mozilla Firefox and OpenOffice.org. If the hardware fix goes well I may consider downloading ubuntu later. I'm just sick of Windows and I'm too poor to purchase Mac software.

So basically my best bet for now is to go to Staples or Best Buy get a 4G memory stick and have a computer literate buddy of mine rip the old one out and put in a new one, and possibly even try to find a Pentium 4 processor and replace the celeron? Sounds like if I can get the parts this could be done in about a day, yes?

Better make sure that you get the correct memory. Your mobo may only take a maximum of 2 GB of memory, meaning 2 1GB sticks......

Back