How to get 2 year old to vocalize?

SarahsDad

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
We're having a problem getting my 2 year old daughter to vocalize. She has a profound bilateral hearing loss, but is getting some help with hearing aids. She does hear some sounds in the speach banana.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we might encourage her to make sounds?

Thanks,
-SarahsDad

SarahsDad said:
Hi Everyone,
We're having a problem getting my 2 year old daughter to vocalize. She has a profound bilateral hearing loss, but is getting some help with hearing aids. She does hear some sounds in the speach banana.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we might encourage her to make sounds?

Thanks,
-SarahsDad

Is she in Early Intervention Program? What is she doing now for speech/lipreading learning?

I started making sounds at age 1 1/2 years old - they used a trick on me. For every sound I made, they gave me a sugary cereal piece. That was my motivation! :P

Perhaps you can find a little reward for her making sounds ?

My daughter didn't really vocalize until she was 4 and now we can't get her to shut up :) She is almost 16 now

Still working on Little G at 2 1/2. He has speech therapy 3x wk. We also use ASL. Remember in their own time they'll do things.

Have you tried speech therpaist at all? You could stop by at the school district and ask them about the speech therpiast. Same with my son who is 3 years old. He can speak but not perfectly like put words in a group. He cant do that. so i spoke to the teacher at the nursery school. They told me i should contact the school district and have him enroll the speech therpaist. So i did and now he had improved a lot! i hope i have answer your question? if not, sorry! hah

Every child is different as Bbnt said his daug didn't really vocalize until she was 4 and some may not start until later..

Why not play a little game as having her put her hand on your throat and make her feel the sound of your voice and then she will be able to do it, see if that works, and everytime she does, just give her a little treat such as M&Ms candy, so it can get her to keep going....

When I was little, I used to giggle everytime I feel my dad's throat when he speaks and I even do now with Roadrunner, cause I can't hear what the sounds are unless I feel it...

And try to get her into preschool program so she can get some help by a speech therapist...

I have two deaf children age 3 and 1/2 and 16 months old. They both have visiting teacher coming to my house every Monday to teach them sounds all different kinds of sounds. She brings instruments eg whislte. She also do reading, jigsaw etc with the 3 1/2 years old. With the 16 months old, she uses sounds. Both have Vocalise. Also my 3 1/2 is going to Speech and Language group. All that information was from the health Centre or Audiology Department. Hope this helps!!

Thanks everyone for all your good advice and suggestions. We have Deaf and Hard of Hearing come over every Wednesday, and take Sarah to Early Intervention schooling. We're also very luck to live close to the John Tracy Center which is a great resource. Alas, with all the help and intervention little Sarah doesn't vocalize much more than the ahhhhh sound.

She was born premature and has had a difficult start. That may be contributing to the problem. We'll keep trying and hope as "bbnt" said that at 16 we won't be able to shut her up.

-SarahsDad

Back