How To Educate My Deaf Child

supportDeafEd

Reaction score
I'll give a quick intro since I am new to AD:

And no, I don't have a deaf child. I'm hearing, I'm a college student. One of my caretakers was/is deaf when I was a child. I'm simply trying to understand deaf education options before I decide on how I can lend a hand in deaf education. :wave:

The Question:

How is deaf education doing today? I know that there are issues with legislators seeking to make budget cuts and schools lacking sufficient funding. I'm also aware of the many claims about Deaf school vs. deaf Program vs. mainstreaming. But honestly, where is the best academic benefit first? I'm well aware of the amazing social benefit of going to an all deaf school. That is extremely important. But academics, math and reading specifically, are vital. So how well is deaf education (any program) doing in these two subjects? How are teenagers these days adjusting to adulthood, applying to colleges, choosing careers, and succeeding? Is there an academic gap between hearing seniors and deaf seniors who are starting their first year of college?

I'm open to opinions but I would love to hear from deaf individuals or parents of deaf children who have fairly current experiences to share.
1. What degree of deaf/hoh is your child (are you)?
2. What sort of education are they (did you) receive?
3. How do you look back on that education?

Grayvi:cool2:

First of all... I am not try to be rude or aggro about that..

I am taking and teaching with Deaf Education degree. There are many issue that I see include myself in the past.

I do not think that have nothing do with state fund lacking to Deaf School. Even the public school as mainstream that doesn't have a benefit either. It is not about benefit for child who is deaf or hard of hearing.

My question to you as I have talk several people who current have degree of Deaf Education. Some who are Deaf and Hearing, I always personal want to know, why are you interesting become interpreter or Deaf Education?

Are you aware that Deaf youth become adult that use income from SSI (Social Security Income), how can you encourage them not apply SSI and embrace that break cycle by repeatably? In 1982, 10% the Deaf Adult received the SSI compare to current 2012 shows 41%. The author wonder if the student learn by teacher who is hearing tends go apply to SSI? If the student learn by teacher who is deaf tends get a job?

Lot of percent there are no guide for Deaf student who is senior and transition process is TERRIBLE.

What I mean terrible, when they got into college and learn the ugly truth about the skills such as English. They have go all over with English and get confused there. They may get used to ask interpreter for help all the time. When they got into the college or world, they see different and left out. It may discourage the student continue the college.

I went workshop relate with Deaf Education. I met several person who run the Deaf ED dept or disability service. They always WONDER and WHY do the public school ever let the student gradate the high school then look at record. How did they just 'pass' and 'fail' at college. Turn out that IEP or some word I came up saying, "treatment" for student is not prepare for challenge such as easy.

I think the speech or oral is WASTING time due late develop learn with words into teenage. I believe value educate come first instead wasting time with speech therapist.

I met the college student who want same major as I am. When she discover that I am Deaf. Even herself hard of hearing but strong oral. She says, "How can you teach deaf kids but you are deaf?" It stupidly and she forgot herself a deaf. Let me says why, why is she wear hearing aids? Deaf mean lose sense of hearing.

So again, there are MANY MANY going on around here at public or private school with deaf student. I think the public school abuse the federal fund money that should budget the quality interpreter or supply to update for weakness to strength. In my high school year, they use upgrade the football field.

@zerodog
Are you aware that Deaf youth become adult that use income from SSI (Social Security Income), how can you encourage them not apply SSI and embrace that break cycle by repeatably? In 1982, 10% the Deaf Adult received the SSI compare to current 2012 shows 41%.

I never knew this. This is the kind of information I need.

Some who are Deaf and Hearing, I always personal want to know, why are you interesting become interpreter or Deaf Education?

I want to have a separate part of my life where I step aside and do something meaningful, something where I can say "I made a difference" and I can see that difference. Like tutoring deaf youth or setting up programs that give an advantage in preparing for college. I want to aid in helping deaf youth get to college, get through college, and become successful independent deaf adults so they can become mentors to other deaf youth who were in their position. I want to start that type of cycle. But it starts with preparing for college.

I just don't know where to start, what subject to focus on, what type of school to help at. How would I be most useful? Should I give more attention to students who are doing worse? Or should I focus on the ones who are doing the best because they're more likely to succeed and start the mentorship cycle sooner? That's why I want to hear from d/Deaf members and parents of d/Deaf.

What I mean terrible, when they got into college and learn the ugly truth about the skills such as English. They have go all over with English and get confused there. They may get used to ask interpreter for help all the time. When they got into the college or world, they see different and left out. It may discourage the student continue the college.
This is what I want to prevent.

Filling the Gaps in Deaf Education

NOTE: I posted this in the Deaf Education section but the title wasn't exactly what I was getting at.

I'll give a quick intro since I am new to AD:

And no, I don't have a deaf child. I'm hearing, I'm a college student. One of my caretakers was/is deaf when I was a child. I'm simply trying to understand the state of deaf education before I decide on how I can lend a hand in deaf education.

The Question:

How is deaf education doing today? I know that there are issues with legislators seeking to make budget cuts and schools lacking sufficient funding. I'm also aware of the many claims about Deaf school vs. deaf Program vs. mainstreaming. But honestly, where is the best academic benefit first? I'm well aware of the amazing social benefit of going to an all deaf school. That is extremely important. But academics, math and reading specifically, are vital. So how well is deaf education (any program) doing in these two subjects? How are teenagers these days adjusting to adulthood, applying to colleges, choosing careers, and succeeding? Is there an academic gap between hearing seniors and deaf seniors who are starting their first year of college?

I'm open to opinions but I would love to hear from deaf individuals or parents of deaf children who have fairly current experiences to share.
1. What degree of deaf/hoh is your child (are you)?
2. What sort of education are they (did you) receive?
3. How do you look back on that education?

Grayvi:wave:

Quote from zerodog
First of all... I am not try to be rude or aggro about that..

I am taking and teaching with Deaf Education degree. There are many issue that I see include myself in the past.

I do not think that have nothing do with state fund lacking to Deaf School. Even the public school as mainstream that doesn't have a benefit either. It is not about benefit for child who is deaf or hard of hearing.

My question to you as I have talk several people who current have degree of Deaf Education. Some who are Deaf and Hearing, I always personal want to know, why are you interesting become interpreter or Deaf Education?

Are you aware that Deaf youth become adult that use income from SSI (Social Security Income), how can you encourage them not apply SSI and embrace that break cycle by repeatably? In 1982, 10% the Deaf Adult received the SSI compare to current 2012 shows 41%. The author wonder if the student learn by teacher who is hearing tends go apply to SSI? If the student learn by teacher who is deaf tends get a job?

Lot of percent there are no guide for Deaf student who is senior and transition process is TERRIBLE.

I went workshop relate with Deaf Education. I met several person who run the Deaf ED dept or disability service. They always WONDER and WHY do the public school ever let the student gradate the high school then look at record. How did they just 'pass' and 'fail' at college. Turn out that IEP or some word I came up saying, "treatment" for student is not prepare for challenge such as easy.

I think the speech or oral is WASTING time due late develop learn with words into teenage. I believe value educate come first instead wasting time with speech therapist.

I met the college student who want same major as I am. When she discover that I am Deaf. Even herself hard of hearing but strong oral. She says, "How can you teach deaf kids but you are deaf?" It stupidly and she forgot herself a deaf. Let me says why, why is she wear hearing aids? Deaf mean lose sense of hearing.

So again, there are MANY MANY going on around here at public or private school with deaf student. I think the public school abuse the federal fund money that should budget the quality interpreter or supply to update for weakness to strength. In my high school year, they use upgrade the football field.

@zerodog
Are you aware that Deaf youth become adult that use income from SSI (Social Security Income), how can you encourage them not apply SSI and embrace that break cycle by repeatably? In 1982, 10% the Deaf Adult received the SSI compare to current 2012 shows 41%.
I never knew this. This is the kind of information I need.

Some who are Deaf and Hearing, I always personal want to know, why are you interesting become interpreter or Deaf Education?
I want to have a separate part of my life where I step aside and do something meaningful, something where I can say "I made a difference" and I can see that difference. Like tutoring deaf youth or setting up programs that give an advantage in preparing for college. I want to aid in helping deaf youth get to college, get through college, and become successful independent deaf adults so they can become mentors to other deaf youth who were in their position. I want to start that type of cycle. But it starts with preparing for college.

I just don't know where to start, what subject to focus on, what type of school to help at. How would I be most useful? Should I give more attention to students who are doing worse? Or should I focus on the ones who are doing the best because they're more likely to succeed and start the mentorship cycle sooner? That's why I want to hear from d/Deaf members and parents of d/Deaf.

If you want that prevent by cycle or repeat that Deaf community steer to SSI.

I overview the courses I am taking... Even the license or state certificated as Deaf and Hard of Hearing. I have strong disagree almost all.

1. out of date, survey
2. college student who is hearing, need more TRAINING (for example; once student adapt the sign language and challenge them have interpreter front of them while teacher is lecture. Student wear ear plugs for almost an month. So they can see where the problem, it is because we don't study enough or get resource proper by teacher or interpreter or what...)
3. conflict interesting between parents and educate while parent want their kid being FIX
4. proposal to house bill relate with educate instead have oral primary... let me ask.. compare of training between speech and learning (for example; new words, is that speech job to teach student new words?)
5. clarify what speech therapist and deaf teacher role/position

All those 5 things that I am telling you and course the superintendent school wouldn't agree those. They are looking at "money" budget for school property use the federal fund. Again, someone out there under superintendent wing need new department with deaf educate. So that dept can handle hiring interpreter, screen the problem, and so on to proposal to school board for adjust or improvement that do with money resource.

I know out there who is doing business with hearing aids and cochlear implant that involved with speech therapist. It sounds like medical.. not the educate.

add that.. The only bothersome that most school use "Special Need" for the deaf student are not entirely 100% with special need. It just need the interpreter and that it. So I assume the fund went to special need department and believe the speech is an answer.

Back