How to Decide on Cochlear Implant Surgery for Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, how, more specifically, can I find the information we were discussing? Since you have the studies, can you tell me how to access that information? A journal that has been published for many years is a lot of information to dig through. Can I have the title of the article you were referencing and the year it was published?

I gave you the name of the Journal, the Publisher, the author of the articles you would be interested in, and you set your own time limit of 2 years. You have everything necessary to do a refined search.

So are you unwilling to give me the name of the article or articles you were referencing? I don't understand why that would be a problem.

Thanks!

Right now I'm reading this page:

RIT - NTID - Raising and Educating a Deaf Child

It has a lot of interesting information, including questions and answers by Marc Marschark. He seems very positive about childhood implantation and spoken language use.

This is an article, not research. You were asking for empirical research. BTW, please read "a final note" on this page. And then you might want to check into the research regarding relational differences between mothers of deaf children who focus on speech, and mothers of deaf children who focus on sign, and the implications for the child's social development.

So are you unwilling to give me the name of the article or articles you were referencing? I don't understand why that would be a problem.

I don't have the exact title in front of me, and I am not inclined at this moment to go into my library and search through my piles of research articles. You have sufficient information to access the research that backs up what I am saying. Are you interested in learning, or are you simply interested in challenging?

I don't have the exact title in front of me, and I am not inclined at this moment to go into my library and search through my piles of research articles. You have sufficient information to access the research that backs up what I am saying. Are you interested in learning, or are you simply interested in challenging?

I don't know how to be more clear. I am politely asking for the information you are referencing so that everyone reading and following this conversation can be on the same page. You have said many times in many threads that if people ask polietely and have a geniuine interest you would have no problem providing the articles and studies. Are you saying that isn't the case? That you are unwilling to provide the references that you continually claim show the things you say? You say you have proof that Rick is wrong, I and many other people would like to see that information so that we have a full picture of the fatcs. Why would you not want to provide that?

This is an article, not research. You were asking for empirical research. BTW, please read "a final note" on this page. And then you might want to check into the research regarding relational differences between mothers of deaf children who focus on speech, and mothers of deaf children who focus on sign, and the implications for the child's social development.

I know this is not research, but it is still good information from well informed people.

Also, can you provide the research you are referencing in this post? It would be very informative for everyone here. I'm sure it is a good read!

So, how, more specifically, can I find the information we were discussing? Since you have the studies, can you tell me how to access that information? A journal that has been published for many years is a lot of information to dig through. Can I have the title of the article you were referencing and the year it was published?

Well, for starter... his name is rather unique. If it's a book, it will pop up in a library database, on Chapters or Amazon.

If it's a PDF, you can easily find it via Google if you type in his name and add PDF to the end of the string.

If you can't find anything on the Internet, well... that's when it's time to e-mail him or send a letter asking for a reprint. Using Google to string his name and his area of study is usually sufficient enough to bring up people's contact info.

I don't know how to be more clear. I am politely asking for the information you are referencing so that everyone reading and following this conversation can be on the same page. You have said many times in many threads that if people ask polietely and have a geniuine interest you would have no problem providing the articles and studies. Are you saying that isn't the case? That you are unwilling to provide the references that you continually claim show the things you say? You say you have proof that Rick is wrong, I and many other people would like to see that information so that we have a full picture of the fatcs. Why would you not want to provide that?

And I have provided you with the information you need to find it. I have already stated that I am not going to jump up and run into my study to sort through a pile of research to come up with an exact title when it is not necessary for you to find the article. Not to mention which, the research is not limited to a singular article. You have what you need if you want to access it. I will not do the work for you, especially when I have gone so far as to post the link to the article, the citation, and the results section verbatim in the past and you ignored it then.

And I have provided you with the information you need to find it. I have already stated that I am not going to jump up and run into my study to sort through a pile of research to come up with an exact title when it is not necessary for you to find the article. Not to mention which, the research is not limited to a singular article. You have what you need if you want to access it. I will not do the work for you, especially when I have gone so far as to post the link to the article, the citation, and the results section verbatim in the past and you ignored it then.

Or she can try out my suggestions.

Well, for starter... his name is rather unique. If it's a book, it will pop up in a library database, on Chapters or Amazon.

If it's a PDF, you can easily find it via Google if you type in his name and add PDF to the end of the string.

If you can't find anything on the Internet, well... that's when it's time to e-mail him or send a letter asking for a reprint. Using Google to string his name and his area of study is usually sufficient enough to bring up people's contact info.

I have googled him and there is a lot of information. I am reading some, but for simplicity, Jillio could easily give everyone the name of the article or articles she was refering to so we could all read it. I'm not asking for a link or the article to be posted here, just the name so we can all read it and have a more informed discussion.
I

I have googled him and there is a lot of information. I am reading some, but for simplicity, Jillio could easily give everyone the name of the article or articles she was refering to so we could all read it. I'm not asking for a link or the article to be posted here, just the name so we can all read it and have a more informed discussion.
I

If you are interested in learning you will read all that there is to offer. I have already stated that there are several articles by Marsharck that support what I am saying. Several books of his that are meta analysis of all the research done as well. When I had questions, I went to the source for the answer. I did not waste time demanding that someone make it easy for me. That is why it appears that you are not interested in learning, but simply challenging.

I have never ignored an article you have posted.

Are you saying that it is my responsibilty to find the articles your are refering to in order to prove that you are telling the truth? If you have the information, and you clearly do because otherwise you wouldn't be making such a claim. Why can't you share the information with others who want to understand?

I have never ignored an article you have posted.

Are you saying that it is my responsibilty to find the articles your are refering to in order to prove that you are telling the truth? If you have the information, and you clearly do because otherwise you wouldn't be making such a claim. Why can't you share the information with others who want to understand?

No, I am saying that if you want to be educated regarding the issues it is your responsibility to find the articles and educate yourself. Until you do that, you have no idea what the truth is, because you are not in possession of enough information to determine the truth.

Who do you think did all the research for me, FJ? The computer fairy?

If you hadn't ignored the article, then surely you would remember the research to which I am referring.

If you are interested in learning you will read all that there is to offer. I have already stated that there are several articles by Marsharck that support what I am saying. Several books of his that are meta analysis of all the research done as well. When I had questions, I went to the source for the answer. I did not waste time demanding that someone make it easy for me. That is why it appears that you are not interested in learning, but simply challenging.

I am not challenging anything. I wish to have an informed discussion. You said that you had articles and research to back up the things you said. I asked if you could tell me what that research was and you told me to look it up myself. I don't understand why it is a problem. You have the information to back up everything you say, so why aren't you willing to share it?

To be honest... what you are asking is quite broad. What I means by broad is that it requires multiple researches... which leads to multiple of publications on the same topic.

It's like asking more about the biology of varanoids, then someone recommending Eric Pianka; then asking which paper to recommend. Yes, varanoids is extremely specific, and asking about the biology of them is a narrow scope, but it's still a topic with numerous publications.

I am not challenging anything. I wish to have an informed discussion. You said that you had articles and research to back up the things you said. I asked if you could tell me what that research was and you told me to look it up myself. I don't understand why it is a problem. You have the information to back up everything you say, so why aren't you willing to share it?

If you wish to have an informed discussion, then take the info you have been provided and access and read the research. It is very simple. I have provided you with more information than I had when I located the research initially. You don't even understand how much of the work has already been done for you. Here is the bottom line: you have been given what you need. If you want to have an informed discussion, stop nitpicking about a title that makes no difference, and start reading some of the works available by Marsharck. All are applicable to the deaf child and deaf education.

No, I am saying that if you want to be educated regarding the issues it is your responsibility to find the articles and educate yourself. Until you do that, you have no idea what the truth is, because you are not in possession of enough information to determine the truth.

Who do you think did all the research for me, FJ? The computer fairy?

If you hadn't ignored the article, then surely you would remember the research to which I am referring.

I don't think that anyone did the research for you, and there is no reason to get snotty. I am being civil and polite, there is no reason for you not to be.

You said that you have the research to back up your statement, are you not willing to provide that information so that all of us can see that you are correct and we can move on?

To be honest... what you are asking is quite broad. What I means by broad is that it requires multiple researches... which leads to multiple of publications on the same topic.

It's like asking more about the biology of varanoids, then someone recommending Eric Pianka; then asking which paper to recommend. Yes, varanoids is extremely specific, and asking about the biology of them is a narrow scope, but it's still a topic with numerous publications.

I've already provided her with the Journal and the publisher.:roll:

That is why I specifically am referencing one statement that Jillio made. She said that Rick's daughter is not the norm. I asked if she could provide us with the information on what the norm is.

That is why I specifically am referencing one statement that Jillio made. She said that Rick's daughter is not the norm. I asked if she could provide us with the information on what the norm is.

And "norm" is still a topic that require reading several papers to understand the scope of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back