How long does it take to get Social Security?

If one person takes reduced benefits at 62, and another (same birthday) waits until age 66 for full benefits, at age 77 they will have both collected the same amount of dollars. After 77, the person who started at 62 will receive less than the person who waited until 66. If the person dies before 77, that won't make any difference.

Oh, yeah, gotcha.

OK. :ty:

I'lll probably do that. I hate calling government offices (menus, waiting, etc.). But I guess I might need to do that.

I strongly recommended you go to SSA office instead of call them.

Not sure about your area, the wait time can be longer in some area.

Call SS via phone is very hard to reach and it was terrible.

If anyone who is available at a reduced retirement then GRAB for it because if anyone wait until the full retirement that you lose three worth of years prior at a full benefit or more . However today, it changes to age 67 depending on how old you all are based on what year you were born. Its ok to grab a retirement if its a reduced benefit, and you can continue to work as long as dont make more than the limit earning when you know for sure, and it will helps to pay very little into SS benefit ( or retirement benefit). It s still good.

If it were me, I dont work then i ll grab the reduced retirement right away and if i decide to return to work then talk to any bosses if they can give me limit hours of making earning then it will be perfect.

Then at age 70 you can earn unlimited dollars without penalty, right?

Yes. Due to lack of staffs working at SSA between with claimant in person and on phone with claimant.

I found out about SS retirement is more faster to get approved than SSDI because SSDI require documentation and examination so it can take much as one year for some people. My experience with SSDI interview on phone was terrible and they asked me a lot of questions like how many did you sit down, how many did you stand up, how many did you bath in shower, how did you open the car, etc, so phone lasted 2 hours when I was at Gally student union building.

yeah Retirement is like a week to process it without a complicate background with earnings. Disability requires to get document from DDS's ( like doctors) to verifiy that claimant is disabled or not, then SSA will compute and award it.

I think she can call to make an appt like DMV so she doesn't have to be in a long line.

I think she can call to make an appt like DMV so she doesn't have to be in a long line.

like doctor - I made an appointment and still waited over 2 hrs.

yeah?? And if they're keeping track of how much you'd get for disability and how much your family would get if you died why wouldn't they be figuring out how much you'd get for retirement as well? How much harder could it possibly be to do that? They're taking the time to figure out everything else out and you're not even disabled or dead yet.......doesn't make any sense.
Remember that your statement shows those numbers which are estimates (you could actually have received more or less than those numbers).

BTW, you receive the statement every quarter? I receive it annually. I can't imagine how they can afford mailing the statements to everyone quarterly (printing cost and postage).

like doctor - I made an appointment and still waited over 2 hrs.
True but at SSA?

BTW, (sorry for off point, Reba) I recently went to DMV around 10 min before it opened at 8 am. There were already two long lines outside the building. I would say I was 20th person in one of the lines. One employee came outside and asked each person what he/she needed. Then she came to ask me and I told her that I am deaf. She asked me if I have an appt. I said no and that I am here for my title transfer. Know what? She moved me to the front of the line and told me to go to #17 which is for appt and persons who are disabled only. After everything was done, I left the building at 8:15 am. I felt like I was special. :lol:

Know what? Deaf people usually go first if there's an interpreter present, otherwise the interpreter will cost them for waiting time. It happened to me several times during doctor's visits and the interpreter let the desk know about it so they let us go first.

True but at SSA?

BTW, (sorry for off point, Reba) I recently went to DMV around 10 min before it opened at 8 am. There were already two long lines outside the building. I would say I was 20th person in one of the lines. One employee came outside and asked each person what he/she needed. Then she came to ask me and I told her that I am deaf. She asked me if I have an appt. I said no and that I am here for my title transfer. Know what? She moved me to the front of the line and told me to go to #17 which is for appt and persons who are disabled only. After everything was done, I left the building at 8:15 am. I felt like I was special. :lol:

Know what? Deaf people usually go first if there's an interpreter present, otherwise the interpreter will cost them for waiting time. It happened to me several times during doctor's visits and the interpreter let the desk know about it so they let us go first.

Just like judge dismissed the speeding ticket because you are deaf. :lol:

Just like judge dismissed the speeding ticket because you are deaf. :lol:
Yeah, if the court fails to provide an interpreter. However if an interpreter and a cop who ticketed you are present, you may not be dismissed. Rarely, a judge dismisses you because you are deaf. In other words, he/she doesn't think that you are special.

After a long time on hold, I spoke to a live person at SSA.

He told me that it normally takes 30 days to process an application. I told him it's been more than 30 days (since 9/2). First he said, that's not yet 30 days. :lol:

Anyway, he said I should get an approval letter by the end of this month.

The saga continues....

He told me that it normally takes 30 days to process an application. I told him it's been more than 30 days (since 9/2). First he said, that's not yet 30 days. :lol:

The saga continues....

interesting, im told that it takes about 2 weeks. Did he see your record that looks like its all competed filled in??

The saga continues....
I am curious. While on phone, did you ask him how much you will get every month? If so, is it different from the amount shown online?

The saga continues....

Reba, I just remembered something. If you don't say anything, they take out 15% of your monthly benefit for taxes. So after a few months of my own getting this benefit, I had that changed to 25%. At the time 25% was the only other choice....weird but maybe that's changed. So you may want to talk to your hubby or bookkkeeper which (15 or 25%) is best.

interesting, im told that it takes about 2 weeks. Did he see your record that looks like its all competed filled in??
He didn't see anything "wrong" or missing. He said that's just how long it takes to process. He kept saying, "It takes 30 days to process."

I am curious. While on phone, did you ask him how much you will get every month? If so, is it different from the amount shown online?
He said I'll get a letter in a few more weeks that will tell me. He said they make the notifications on the fourth Wednesday of every month. He sounded kind of exasperated with me, like I was being impatient.

Reba, I just remembered something. If you don't say anything, they take out 15% of your monthly benefit for taxes. So after a few months of my own getting this benefit, I had that changed to 25%. At the time 25% was the only other choice....weird but maybe that's changed. So you may want to talk to your hubby or bookkkeeper which (15 or 25%) is best.
I need to have them take out the maximum because Hubby is self employed. We're always in the tax hole. :(

Back