How is this possible?

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
As you know I am completely deaf in my left ear and HOH in my right ear.

When I was 14 my hearing completely deteriorated to the point that I needed a HA on the right side and the audie told my parents I would get no benefit from an HA on the left side.

I wore the aid against my will and I hated it. I went back to the audie for a checkup a year later and she said my unaided responses had improved so much that I no longer needed the HA.

How is that possible?

Also, I have noticed my hearing deteriorating lately as sometimes I cannot hear the customers at my job and there are days I have trouble speaking which I assume is from poor auditory feedback. I think its more difficult to speak if you can't hear yourself and that could be happening to me.

Anyone willing to shed some light on this?

Everyone lies.......

huh? Whats that supposed to mean?

Could be that at the time they aided you, you had some conductive loss that was the result of fluid not allowing the eardrum to move properly. It cleared up, and your responses cleared up. Just a guess. Had it happen to my kid. Anytime they noticed a flucuation, I asked for a tympanogram to check it.

Technology has improved a great deal, which is another factor. They can give more specific diagnosis than even five years ago.

Could be that at the time they aided you, you had some conductive loss that was the result of fluid not allowing the eardrum to move properly. It cleared up, and your responses cleared up. Just a guess. Had it happen to my kid. Anytime they noticed a flucuation, I asked for a tympanogram to check it.

I'm agree with jillio.

It makes sense. Thanks for the tidbit Jillio. I didn't think about fluid, but at the time it didn't really feel like I had water in my ears. I just knew that whenever someone was speaking their lips were moving but nothing came out.

I'm just glad that new technologies are available to give a more specific diagnosis.

I just wish I knew what caused me to be completely deaf in one ear and HoH in the other. There's also those times I wish I were either completely deaf or completely hearing because some people seem confused when I try to explain it to them. Not only that I get different stories as to what happened when I ask my parents about it.

The wildest is that mom told me that I have no hair in my left ear thus sound cannot be conducted to the ear drum.

Another that I get is that mom was in a car wreck when she was pregnant with me and I may have sustained an injury in the womb (unnoticed at the time) that may have caused my deafness.

Is there anyway using these new technologies that an audiologist can diagnose the cause of my deafness?

Back