How important is processor speed?

4 years ago i was tossing between a Pentium dual (thats even better than the CELERON!) with flash graphics and my mate said NO, get this (my current HP lappy) with a newer Core2duo...and that was the best decision, i forgo'ed the gamers grpahic card...(it wasnt even that good when i read about it later)

i am glad , very glad to have come to own a Core2duo

hell , try get a lappy with a Core2duo (its old 'now' but far far FAR better than that Celeron, also for YOUR use you SHOULD be paying attention to the inbuilt camera and PORTS, USB, for webcams...
SO
if you're leaving the lappy at one place all the time
get a fast(er) /newer CPU AT LEAST a Core2duo and newer...and a decent webcam to plug in the laptop (and if you're travelling, have one with a good stand for the cam to sit beside the laptop)

that is what should be YOUR plan

OH
and make sure laptop got all the essential ports/plugs, plenty of USB, vga, HDMI for tv out...ethernnet (got for problem solving with router), phone jack (for travel) and of course wifi...

battery well thats up to you, you need to decide what you actually do. hotels or in the car often wall sockets to keep charged? etc

good luck

so basically forget the cheap cheappy shitty

Good advices DHB !!( I couldnt find 'like' to like your posts)..

Also, any tablet will do job just fine, you can use bluetooth keyboard, even connect your tablet to TV and it will be enough for your needs.

Its your call, wish you luck.

BTW, the desktop computer market is very, very soft. Not much demand like it used to be back then.

Thanks Grummer - I actually use the laptop like a desktop. It stays in the same place on my desk most all the time. I switched to laptops because I have too much stuff and too little space: even getting rid of the tower made my life easier.

And I have a good webcam:)

Diehardbiker: thanks for answering my question:)

And that sounds like and awesome Christmas present for your son!

As for regular, non-gaming PC, processor does not matter - but memory does matter. It helps application(s) run smoothly with memory.

i disagree, CPUs being a celeron is Way WAY too OLD. its likely even slower than some mobile phone's cores!!

you can have all the rams you want, but the computer is going be working hard...and slow...
rams are cheap...
its better to buy a core2duo with 2 gigs rams
than a celeron with 6 or 8 gigs rams

you cant 'upgrade cpus'
but you can add rams...and its cheap

Processor speed != Clock speed.

There are a billion factors to consider in the speed of a processor. Clock speed (GHz) is incredibly unreliable in measuring how fast a processor is. I can take my 6300 at 3.5ghz and put it up against a 3570k from intel which have relatively the same clockspeed, but the intel cpu is going to smoke my 6300. Now, what you want is something like the following Newegg.com - Lenovo G505 (59373013) AMD A-Series A6-5200(2.00GHz) 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 15.6" Notebook Windows 8 if your budget permits then grab that, but if not then step down to something with an amd a4. At this point you may be confused as to why I am suggesting AMD when I clearly just said intel is faster. Fear not, in your case cpu power isn't the the most important. What you really want is gpu power which AMD absolutely demolishes intel in. This is key because a decent cpu coupled with a much faster gpu will result in clearly smoother video playback.

As for RAM I will use a simple analogy and a picture.

overflowing-cup-1.jpg

RAM is like a water cup, Put a little water in the cup does it's job of holding the water just fine. Put a little more in and it still does just fine, and add a little more till the water is just below the rim. The cup is still doing its duties fine right? Yes, but now you have to carefully bring the cup to your mouth to prevent spillage. Fill it up to overflowing and now the amount of water has outdone the capacity of the cup resulting in overflow (computer slowdown). Upgrade the cup to a bigger size one and you can hold more water (data.) With windows 8 and the typical everyday use people only use about 1.5-2 GBs of RAM. Hell, currently I have 15ish tabs open in chrome (very ram intensive) plus a tab of nightcore techno on youtube and I'm only using 2.6 GBs. As you can see 4 GBs is way more than enough for most people and the only time you should need more is if you plan on medium to heavy video rendering and creation.

Get the most you can afford. Buying a system at today's minimum specs will be obsolete sooner.

yeah all this is true...and a core2duo while old(er) now it is still quuite respectable against the today's standards, but a celeron come on, thats' yesterdays cheapie a B or even a C grade cpu...and they're trying to sell it off? stay the heck away, whereas the core2duo was yesterdays class A or Class B cpu (at upper range)...its still holds it own and with added bonus a DDR3 is CHEAP now and it fits the bus-speeds requirements of the C2D...and ironically yhe DDR1 and DDR2 of the celeron-era is still and or more expensive than the C2D era- DDR3...m but i dunno the DDR4-DDR5 with todays latest or most recent...been too busy with studies... but it doesnt take me long to do homework at all...all im saying is... there is a break off point both backyards and forwards...dont go too far...

thats the idea im trying to bring across

Processor speed != Clock speed.

There are a billion factors to consider in the speed of a processor. Clock speed (GHz) is incredibly unreliable in measuring how fast a processor is. I can take my 6300 at 3.5ghz and put it up against a 3570k from intel which have relatively the same clockspeed, but the intel cpu is going to smoke my 6300. Now, what you want is something like the following Newegg.com - Lenovo G505 (59373013) AMD A-Series A6-5200(2.00GHz) 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 15.6" Notebook Windows 8 if your budget permits then grab that, but if not then step down to something with an amd a4. At this point you may be confused as to why I am suggesting AMD when I clearly just said intel is faster. Fear not, in your case cpu power isn't the the most important. What you really want is gpu power which AMD absolutely demolishes intel in. This is key because a decent cpu coupled with a much faster gpu will result in clearly smoother video playback.

As for RAM I will use a simple analogy and a picture.

overflowing-cup-1.jpg

RAM is like a water cup, Put a little water in the cup does it's job of holding the water just fine. Put a little more in and it still does just fine, and add a little more till the water is just below the rim. The cup is still doing its duties fine right? Yes, but now you have to carefully bring the cup to your mouth to prevent spillage. Fill it up to overflowing and now the amount of water has outdone the capacity of the cup resulting in overflow (computer slowdown). Upgrade the cup to a bigger size one and you can hold more water (data.) With windows 8 and the typical everyday use people only use about 1.5-2 GBs of RAM. Hell, currently I have 15ish tabs open in chrome (very ram intensive) plus a tab of nightcore techno on youtube and I'm only using 2.6 GBs. As you can see 4 GBs is way more than enough for most people and the only time you should need more is if you plan on medium to heavy video rendering and creation.

Thanks Blind7125. I could get the computer you mentioned - that's the top of my price range (better if I can go cheaper but I can do it) and I really like the fact that it has a built-in DVD drive. I go through times when I use DVDs alot and I just don't have the space for any more external stuff here. With so many laptops moving away from that it's a significant find.

But I had a bad experience with Lenovo in the past. It was about a year ago, the first time I attempted to replace my current laptop. Out of the box it immediately started crashing. All I was doing on it was watching DVDs (They were ASL footage, so I was pausing and backing up alot when I didn't catch something, not sure if that's what did it, but I need to be able to do that.)

It had an AMD E-450 processor. Do you think if I go to the A6 I can abandon my worries about the brand?

i had similar problems as grum,most of my computers been celaron and very slow,the one i have at the moment is pentium and slow we were using broadband but using wifii now and it should be faster but is not so i guess it my computers which are xp and vista.
My son say ipod good for my needs but i not sure,i need mouse i find arrows difficult..not heard of cor2duo but i going look into that.
How would blue tooth work on the train if others using it, always thought blue tooth sending pics from one place to the other i thought needed be near someone else if their blue tooth on.I use lappy on train and carriage is wifii

i had similar problems as grum,most of my computers been celaron and very slow,the one i have at the moment is pentium and slow we were using broadband but using wifii now and it should be faster but is not so i guess it my computers which are xp and vista.
My son say ipod good for my needs but i not sure,i need mouse i find arrows difficult..not heard of cor2duo but i going look into that.
How would blue tooth work on the train if others using it, always thought blue tooth sending pics from one place to the other i thought needed be near someone else if their blue tooth on.I use lappy on train and carriage is wifii

good idea, now
dont let the slimy shitty salesperson says dual core for pentium...
pentium is dead, old like celeron but pentium was a bigger and better than celerons for sure, but from the C2D point and on, the Core2, and i3, i5 is just a HUGE jump forward!!....

so just warning a Dual core pentium is a no-no,
you want a Core2duo OR at least i3, i5 dual core, very respectable grunt, and forget windows 8, get a nice Win 7 Home Premium and have that installed, find a computer fanatic friend somewhere get them to help you...

Last edited:
I would strongly recommend you to go with Macbook Air. You'll be pretty much set for probably next 7 years. It's just that good.

My wife used 1st Gen of Macbook Air for almost 5 years and no problem with VR and FT but lag on full HD (1080p) for edit video. So Finally updated to new 6th gen of Macbook Air and everything FAST enough for us. It's only 1.3 Ghz i5 Intel to make longer battery life like 9-10 hours and auto changed to 1.8 Ghz when open HD video or VRS/FT/skype. They running pretty QUICK and smooth. Thanks to SSD. Mostly HDD's speed like 100-150 mb/sec and Mostly SSD's speed like 500-700mb/sec. Plus SSD's watts is around 1-5 watts and 2.5" HDD's watts is around 10-20 watts. Low watts = less heat and better battery life.

Don't forget about number of cores. Like Quad cores @ 1.8 Ghz is FASTER than dual cores @ 2.4Ghz. Also Dual cores @ 2.4Ghz is FASTER than single core @ 3.8 Ghz. Not just processor speed.

I prefer Intel over AMD because of less heat and better battery life for laptop.

The requirement that I read on your first post, really it does not matter what CPU speed* you need technically. Today computer is good enough for average computing needs. The only thing that it is not enough is gaming, and graphic intensive application where one would doing movie making and photoshopping which you do not need or required. Whats point of shelling out grand where hundreds would do good job.

As for video conferencing, Speed of CPU really don't matter much, even build in graphic controller on motherboard will do the job just fine. What affects the video quality on videoconferencing (Skype, Ntouch, ooVoo, etc) is the quality of Networking connection. Its fact because I used to work for videoconferencing and the quality of Internet DOES makes difference. Same concept with TV, any TV will work fine as long as there is good connection, right? If there is blurry or poor video on TV, do we generally blame on TV? For years, we don't, we try to adjust antenna to get best video right? Same concept here. So, this part (Internet connection) is something we all CAN'T avoid since it is really a requirement rather than option unless your too hearing to care for video quality.

Google Notebook is more than enough what you need.

I am almost done with shopping for my son's xmas gift... a decent gamer computer. He wants gamer computer, he is tween right now, almost teenager, typical. He is in for a big surprise and will be confused because I will gift wrap each computer components, total about 10 I think, and will build his computer the day he opens his gifts. Its going to be fun and likely going to be my last time that I would build a computer.

* This isn't 90's and not used equipment. During '90s most important is memory (RAM) the more the better, and that was back then. Not anymore because RAM is now too cheap and widely available.

HP Sparkling Black 14" Pavilion TouchSmart 14-b109wm Laptop PC with Intel Celeron B877 Processor, 4GB Memory, 500GB Hard Drive, Touchscreen and Windows 8: Computers : Walmart.com

The brand new computer still have shitty CPU for today.

Intel Celeron B877 processor
1.50 GHz?

No thanks. :ugh3:

First of all OP asked for specification of speed for CPU. It really don't matter, seriously. BUT when it comes to model, Celeron is one to avoid for sure, they are sub-quality. I wasn't think of these kind of CPU, just think of regular high quality CPU, still speed isn't that big deal.

I am long time Athlon fan, not anymore.

good idea, now
dont let the slimy shitty salesperson says dual core for pentium...
pentium is dead, old like celeron but pentium was a bigger and better than celerons for sure, but from the C2D point and on, the Core2, and i3, i5 is just a HUGE jump forward!!....

so just warning a Dual core pentium is a no-no,
you want a Core2duo OR at least i3, i5 dual core, very respectable grunt, and forget windows 8, get a nice Win 7 Home Premium and have that installed, find a computer fanatic friend somewhere get them to help you...

Very hard to find a brand new laptop with Windows 7 at anywhere store for now. Good luck with that.

Very hard to find a brand new laptop with Windows 7 at anywhere store for now. Good luck with that.

that's why i said BUY the Windows 7 as a OS, they still sells those...and OEMs over the internet are quite cheap now, Home Premiums are decent, just don't go less.
the idea is get a decent dual or quads and buy own win 7 set it up
then its done
not much extra time really, just an hour to install and set up, easy

that's why i said BUY the Windows 7 as a OS, they still sells those...and OEMs over the internet are quite cheap now, Home Premiums are decent, just don't go less.
the idea is get a decent dual or quads and buy own win 7 set it up
then its done
not much extra time really, just an hour to install and set up, easy

It's waste money to buy Windows 7 and NOT ALL laptops with UEFI would allows you downgrade to Windows 7 from Windows 8.

Easy? For BIOS yes, For UEFI? No.

Back