how important is Deaf culture to you?

It is very important to me. I believe that there should be a stronger acceptance by society of our Deaf cultural identity. We mustn't shy away nor be intimidated by the hearing world around us, but demand respect as a cultural entity. Deaf children should be encouraged and given the opportunity, to be who they are, and not forced to be something they're not.

so, deaf culture is not just for old people or for the 'batimore generation'??
Why are you asking? You thought Deaf culture is the past (or is dead)? Hell no, it's still so ALIVE. DVTV and other deaf vlog websites join our Deaf culture/community. What about your country, NZ?

Why are you asking? You thought Deaf culture is the past (or is dead)? Hell no, it's still so ALIVE. DVTV and other deaf vlog websites join our Deaf culture/community. What about your country, NZ?

Im asking because im asking. and no I don't think it's dead...im asking because deaf clubs seems to be fading in many places...it not as many as their were...oh deaf people now go to coffee shops instead of deaf halls??

thats sort of thing, im asking ok

i just ask questions in a way, to 'trigger' you people's memory or views...to respond...

Im asking because im asking. and no I don't think it's dead...im asking because deaf clubs seems to be fading in many places...it not as many as their were...oh deaf people now go to coffee shops instead of deaf halls??

thats sort of thing, im asking ok

i just ask questions in a way, to 'trigger' you people's memory or views...to respond...
OK, no problem.

I believe that deaf clubs are closed down due to financial hardship unfortunately. As you may know, leases always go up.

OK, no problem.

I believe that deaf clubs are closed down due to financial hardship unfortunately. As you may know, leases always go up.

Yes. also, lot of young Deaf people have plans on their own, instead of being with the Deaf club. They have no motivate for doing stuff with Deaf club.

People always blame CI for the demise of the deaf culture, but closed captions and the internet have played a part too.

Today it is easy to be entertained at home, to order in pizza or other delivery, and there isn't the motivation there once was to get out and play cards or just talk to people.

And Facebook and Alldeaf easily bring together a wide ranging group of deaf people that just isn't there in the deaf populations of most places, except for larger cities.

Yes important to Deaf Cultures for should be sure everyone aware it education, ASL, oral :)

Should be encourage development to education communication ASL.

I need to learn deaf cultures. exciting to important to research Deaf cultures more important to strong large deaf ASL both skills oral no matter everyone have important to need

That's a good point Bott, I think the social media and tech. has brought the world closer together in general, in terms of the ease and variety of interactions on a general and mass level.

I sure agree with you too, Travis:wave:

I waited a bit because I wanted to give many more experienced people a chance to post here and because I wanted to think about the question. But Deaf culture is important to me because - I finally feel like I found a visually-oriented home, where my speech doesn't matter, and I can make the best use of the way my mind operates.

That's a good point Bott, I think the social media and tech. has brought the world closer together in general, in terms of the ease and variety of interactions on a general and mass level.

I sure agree with you too, Travis:wave:

Of course I do motivated I do good advise I love agree Botti ;) good I motivated jump you also great I glad of hear you happy I do cheer. I glad of more motivating to understand gain more deaf culture ;)

Yes. also, lot of young Deaf people have plans on their own, instead of being with the Deaf club. They have no motivate for doing stuff with Deaf club.
Well, teenagers and young adults don't socialize with older people who attend deaf clubs. No difference from the hearing world.

Anyway, I remember going to a deaf club in Boston in 1983. I saw 4 18-20 yrs kids acting like wild animals because they were too ****ed up and imagine, they were trying to sell weed to some of us. They were ****ing immature. They stayed there for about an hour.

To me, yes Deaf culture is important.
I never grew up near anyone who was deaf/hoh, I was always surrounded by hearing people (I have no problem with that). But it would've been nice to be around others who share the same or similar stories.

I find it lovely talking to people from all ages.
I went to a school for kids who are d/hoh, they were all so sweet!
I talk to people from all age range, to me it's nice to hear their experiences.
I wish in my city there was a club or meet up for younger people.
I mean hanging out with the older people are fun and interesting but it'll be nice to socialize with people around my age?
Yes technology is a huge plus for all of us, but it'll be nice to go to a coffee shop or library and socialize there.

Well, teenagers and young adults don't socialize with older people who attend deaf clubs. No difference from the hearing world.

Anyway, I remember going to a deaf club in Boston in 1983. I saw 4 18-20 yrs kids acting like wild animals because they were too ****ed up and imagine, they were trying to sell weed to some of us. They were ****ing immature. They stayed there for about an hour.

Why don't you educate them?

thanks folks...hop that anytime you get feelings about what naging your feelings about deaf culture please share it in here even if thread is 'old' it never is...its good for everyone to share different ways of expressing what we all value - our culture the way we express ourselves as Deaf selves, not something that hearing people expects of us. we determine our own lives. its very important!...cheers

from the above "we determine our own lives". Agree: Being bilateral DEAF- even if one doesn't use ASL at all. Nor is part of the "local Deaf group"-a sociological construction.
Cheers-

Simple answer. Pretty damn important! :D I use my C.I. only for work, other than that.... it's never attached. :P Deep down I hate the C.I. but it does help. :doh:

What about listening to music? Do you enjoy it?

I don't really wear my C.I. unless I'm at work as I said..... and I don't really listen to music at work because I can't.... Once I leave the thing comes off. *shrug* I don't hate music, but I don't really find myself loving it or obsessed with it. :dunno:

when i lived London i did mix but not now i live in a town just me and two teenage boys..Deaf clubs closing down and deaf society getting smaller

Back