how has cochlear implants controversy died out?

oh....i wasnt seeing that you were a hearing child then late deafened, of course that would be different.

my intention of this rephrasing...was to show a different perspective, a perspective which language needs sometimes are actually more important than speech needs for many deaf children , otherwise...the times spent on speech training is wasted, which could have gone into learning things, signs comes alot faster and easier, and so would other 'same-quavalent' content learning as would a hearing child may learn about in school.

sorry both of you, never meant offense, just it was the way i think , when i saw those words, and what it meant philosophically...
never mind..., and again...
im a bit confused..you said you were hearing, and then you said just before hoh/deaf? which one were you?
I had perfect hearing until I was 20. I started losing my hearing in my left ear when I was 20, that is now profound to no response, pretty much unaidable as far as speech goes. I started losing it in my right ear when I was about 26, for those 6 years between 20 and 26 I was unaided I just relied on my right ear. Now I'm 38 and that right ear is profoundly deaf.

So I was hearing, now I'm deaf. I can't even hear my own voice anymore without my hearing aids, so with my aids I'm Hoh ;)

Grummer, not everybody that is HoH/deaf grew up that way. I'm a perfect example. I'm deaf, I don't know sign, I need captions. I don't not now sign because I was denied it as a child. Nobody in my life decided I needed to know English, not ASL. I wasn't a deaf child, I was hearing child I'm now a deaf adult. That wasn't what Jane was saying......at all, you just jumped all over her shit and shoved a bunch of words in her mouth.

oh....i wasnt seeing that you were a hearing child then late deafened, of course that would be different.

my intention of this rephrasing...was to show a different perspective, a perspective which language needs sometimes are actually more important than speech needs for many deaf children , otherwise...the times spent on speech training is wasted, which could have gone into learning things, signs comes alot faster and easier, and so would other 'same-quavalent' content learning as would a hearing child may learn about in school.

sorry both of you, never meant offense, just it was the way i think , when i saw those words, and what it meant philosophically...
im a bit confused..you said you were hearing, and then you said just before hoh/deaf? which one were you?

My story is similar to ambrosia but not exact.

I lost all hearing in the left ear following an infection after measles at the age of 5. The right ear remained excellent and I have had no more ear infections. In grade school (grades 1-8) they just did periodic hearing tests as it wasn't changing. The only thing I did because of it during all my school years was sit at the front or side depending on where the teacher/instructor was talking from most to keep it from coming mostly from my deaf side. I was mainly and A/B student. Socially I have asked people to sit on my right and/or face me for so long I don't remember when I started to do it. I do remember in high school having other kids sit to my right in the stands at basketball games.

I had my first very noticeable tinnitus as a junior in high school. I don't know if there were any hearing drops in connection to those couple of episodes but there were some later. I began to wear a hearing aid in my right ear in my 30's but can't remember just which year it was in the early 1970s. After a particularly bad one I saw Dr. John Shea in Memphis in 1984 and was told that he didn't have a surgical treatment and even if he did he would have hesitated to do the right ear because if it didn't work I would be left with neither responding. Also, was told that they thought I was able to get as much as 50% of a conversation from lip reading just from having a loss for so long.

I have posted over and over about taking sign in the 1980's but not making any contacts to use it and having forgotten 99% of it as a result.

Now at 70 my right ear is profound but has been virtually stable for years. I am about to trial a Phonak Naida Q90 UP simply because of the age of my currant aid and the improvements that have come since.

Really does depend on the child, you're right. I'm curious, though, what different skills are you thinking of?

Any really. What if the child would rather play football or do math problems than practice sign.

(Remember I have always said it would be best IMO for a child to have access to ASL)

*nods* exactly. The trouble with speech training for even LITTLE kids is that it basicly consumes the entire day.......You look on the pages for parents of dhh kids on Facebook, and they say stuff like " the Clarke auditory verbal therapists really get on our cases for not doing enough speech therapy (when the parents are) and " Oh I'm spending too much time with my dhh kid, working on speech! I feel so bad for their siblings!"
And the thing is, the dhh kids are missing out on EASILY learning CONTENT. For the late deafened............Imagine being limited to your weakest sense while learning.....you can do it, but it's a LOT harder. With the correct tools, (meaning using ASL for content) dhh kids could reach SKY HIGH LEVELS.
People seem to assume that speech training gives dhh kids on par speech skills. Not quite. A lot of times kids may reach the level that they can read Kids of the Polk Street School, or " I can Read Chapter Books By Myself" at age twelve........Whereas if they were taught in ASL, they could reach Harvard level in their literacy and thinking!

*nods* exactly. The trouble with speech training for even LITTLE kids is that it basicly consumes the entire day.......You look on the pages for parents of dhh kids on Facebook, and they say stuff like " the Clarke auditory verbal therapists really get on our cases for not doing enough speech therapy (when the parents are) and " Oh I'm spending too much time with my dhh kid, working on speech! I feel so bad for their siblings!"
And the thing is, the dhh kids are missing out on EASILY learning CONTENT. For the late deafened............Imagine being limited to your weakest sense while learning.....you can do it, but it's a LOT harder. With the correct tools, (meaning using ASL for content) dhh kids could reach SKY HIGH LEVELS.
People seem to assume that speech training gives dhh kids on par speech skills. Not quite. A lot of times kids may reach the level that they can read Kids of the Polk Street School, or " I can Read Chapter Books By Myself" at age twelve........Whereas if they were taught in ASL, they could reach Harvard level in their literacy and thinking!

This was not something that I even brought up.

What I was trying to point out (and then Grummer took off in this other direction) is that a terp for the news is NOT better than captions for all that cannot understand the program with just sound!

Curious if I wear my HA, will it make me, considered as a HOH and Deaf? :hmm: I can hear people's voices, stupid fans, footsteps etc with a HA.

As I understand the matter: when one communicates: one assumes the other party understands the method used: "signs"/ "speech"/" written words".
Not sure what the "alternate" is- Thought transfer?

aside: doesn't seem to be the world as currently lived by "most people"

Curious if I wear my HA, will it make me, considered as a HOH and Deaf? :hmm: I can hear people's voices, stupid fans, footsteps etc with a HA.

It depends on what you consider yourself. Your opinion about yourself is the only one that matters.

Any really. What if the child would rather play football or do math problems than practice sign.

(Remember I have always said it would be best IMO for a child to have access to ASL)

Ok, what if a child doesn't want to learn English or the words of English but wants to focus on learning other skills?

Ok, what if a child doesn't want to learn English or the words of English but wants to focus on learning other skills?

Would you advocate/support a student in the United States to not learn English?

What if they don't want to school? Maybe we can pull all those kids out and let them stay at home and play with video games. What they don't want to eat vegetables? We'll just give them McDonald's everyday. What if they don't want to go to bed by eight on a school night? We'll let them fall asleep in front of the TV.....

A parent's role is to do what's in the best interest of the child, keeping in mind the short and distant goals, that will give their child the best shot at a good life.

What if they don't want to school? Maybe we can pull all those kids out and let them stay at home and play with video games. What they don't want to eat vegetables? We'll just give them McDonald's everyday. What if they don't want to go to bed by eight on a school night? We'll let them fall asleep in front of the TV.....

A parent's role is to do what's in the best interest of the child, keeping in mind the short and distant goals, that will give their child the best shot at a good life.

So, is ASL in the same category as McDonald's, not eating vegetables, video games, and the other stuff you mentioned?

I think you missed my point. Another ADer said what if the child doesn't want to learn ASL so I replied what if the child doesn't want to learn English and then u come up with this.

Interesting. It is ok for him to ask him that question but not ok for me. LOL

*nods* exactly. The trouble with speech training for even LITTLE kids is that it basicly consumes the entire day.......

You assume a lot. I spent my life from pre-school through grade six or seven in speech therapy and I never spent all day in the program. One hour a day at school, two or three a week at best. My parents worked with me at home...I owe my success to them, not the speech therapists exclusively. No one is going to spend an entire day on speech at the expense of not developing other reading, math, science, gym, social skills.

Would you advocate/support a student in the United States to not learn English?

Are u seriously asking me that? How many times here on AD over the years have I advocated for BOTH ASL and English for all deaf/hoh children?

One time or 100 times?

I had speech therapy from 3 years old to 21 years old of one hour lessons, twice a week. I've been profoundly deaf all my life and at the age of 27 years old, I speak like a hearing person. Very few people realise I'm deaf when I speak. They do, if they catch me when I'm tired. Never has it taken up the entire day!

I had speech therapy from 3 years old to 21 years old of one hour lessons, twice a week. I've been profoundly deaf all my life and at the age of 27 years old, I speak like a hearing person. Very few people realise I'm deaf when I speak. They do, if they catch me when I'm tired. Never has it taken up the entire day!

You guys responded well to speech therapy. And you prove my point that it's the QUALITY of speech therapy, not the quanity that is important.
Unfortunatly noawadays they're pushing the mentality that if some speech therapy is good, even MORE is better. They're pushing the myth that if a kid who has some speech skills is totally immersed in speech therapy/auditory verbal therapy (very intense speech therapy) approaches, that they will magically catch up and become hearing............Plus, you guys most likely don't realize that a lot of your daily interaction with your parents was speech therapy...you know " talk talk talk"
You didn't have "speech therapy sessions" with a speech therapist following you around, no..........but a lot of the interaction WAS speech therapy.

Back