HOw does it work buying a car in Michigan?

Another good reason for checking what the laws are for each state. Your state is quite different from mine. There are no smog certifications or safety inspections required here.

What works in one state won't work in another.

If the vehicle from out of state, is operating in Ca, for temporary like students who attend college campus, can get smog check here instead of go back to state to obtain tag. Must have a DMV renewal from your hometown for verification (VIN & license plate match), if pass a smog inspection, the motorist is responsible to mail VIR (vehicle inspection report) paper along with DMV renewal to his/her hometown to get new tag. Dst

Be careful buying cars from individuals. Always get a car fax. The seller should accompany you to the state office to transfer title and sign the title transfer there.

A guy told me that he bought a car from a person who is Mexican. She did not sign the title. She's no where to be found (allegedly she is in Mexico, and most likely committing fraud where ever she is). Now, he's holding a fake title. The car is likely salvaged (with a few cosmetic changes) or in the country illegally. She did not pay the sales tax, which is why she didn't want to go to the title office (besides the obvious fraud).

Each state is different, so contact your local offices. Use common sense.

I second that, exact what I do smog inspection. One problem is some people put no real name on the RO paper by use the vehicle owner's name to match the DMV renewal paper. No proof and process smog inspection. Never know if the person is a terrorist or illegal resident?

Be careful buying cars from individuals. Always get a car fax. The seller should accompany you to the state office to transfer title and sign the title transfer there.

... She did not pay the sales tax, which is why she didn't want to go to the title office (besides the obvious fraud)....
"The state office" and "the title office"--do you mean the DMV office? Is that the same place?

I know but I doubt he owns a property in that state

i see it done all the times. Texas land is sooo cheap. :cool2:

It's actually cheaper to buy a small plot of land in texas and license your cars there than paying the new car tags here in Colorado.

i see it done all the times. Texas land is sooo cheap. :cool2:

It's actually cheaper to buy a small plot of land in texas and license your cars there than paying the new car tags here in Colorado.

and people complain about illegals sucking up $$$$ from us lol!!!

I guess I assumed he was talking about used cars that he bought from a private seller. In that case, he wouldn't get a temporary dealer plate but just a bill of sale.

In SC, the temporary dealer plate is good for 45 days and is supposed to be attached where a regular plate would be, not in a back window (too hard to read).

That's why he needs to check on the laws for states involved. Each one is different.

Yeah, it is from private party. That is why I asked. I'm aware that I would just get license plate if I bought from dealership. It is just much cheaper to buy a car via private party than dealership.

I wouild love a free car with some cash, but would I be shot while I am there. I heard that Detroit is very untaming.

Detroit isn't that bad just don't show in pimp clothes that going get you in trouble.

AND I WOULDN'T buy any cars from Michigan it full of RUSTY ROT plus they don't maintain.

Maybe used to be true; the salt on the highways can be hard on cars.

But today's cars all have much better rust-proofing than cars from 20 or more years ago. Look at everything carefully, of course, but if you're buying a fairly recent car, I wouldn't worry much about rust.

Maybe used to be true; the salt on the highways can be hard on cars.

But today's cars all have much better rust-proofing than cars from 20 or more years ago. Look at everything carefully, of course, but if you're buying a fairly recent car, I wouldn't worry much about rust.

Not true We had 01 F250 that LOST whole bed to salt. I believe 20 years old or more are better at protect rust. We had 79 F150 it still hold to winter but we scrap it because engine worn out.

New cars are worst. They don't come with rust proof. We had 11 F250 that we need repaint to keep rust out.

This 01 F250 I bought back in 2009. PO say it fell down in 2006. That only 5 years.

36854_459294124815_831204815_610775.jpg

img186.jpg

not true we had 01 f250 that lost whole bed to salt. I believe 20 years old or more are better at protect rust. We had 79 f150 it still hold to winter but we scrap it because engine worn out.

New cars are worst. They don't come with rust proof. We had 11 f250 that we need repaint to keep rust out.

This 01 f250 i bought back in 2009. Po say it fell down in 2006. That only 5 years.

36854_459294124815_831204815_610775.jpg

img186.jpg

wtf

And a used car from Illinois wouldn't have salt issues? Hah, I hope somebody didn't pull a muscle jumping on the let's-trash-Detroit bandwagon. Because of Detroit's abundance of year-round car wash stations, my 9-year-old vehicle is immaculately rust-free.

Try again.

Yeah, we do have salt issues here in Illinois.

Buyer beware. It all depends on the owner, though.

Yeah, we do have salt issues here in Illinois.

Buyer beware. It all depends on the owner, though.

Very true. I have a sister who is located south of you in Lakeview - car ownership in Chicago seems to be a bit more difficult for washing/detailing on a regular basis. Is it more expensive? Inaccessible? When she comes to visit in Detroit, our dad spends a long afternoon getting her car back in shape.

Very true. I have a sister who is located south of you in Lakeview - car ownership in Chicago seems to be a bit more difficult for washing/detailing on a regular basis. Is it more expensive? Inaccessible? When she comes to visit in Detroit, our dad spends a long afternoon getting her car back in shape.

Believe it or not, but I am like 4 miles or so from Lakeview area. I don't bother to wash my cars, but maybe I should do that.

It can be more $$$ to get car washed especially if you have to pay CHicago's tax rates.

As for prices of car wash, it varies. Also, it's $$$ to park in Chicago, so some places that has no lot or spots to park while waiting for your turn, it can be a hassle.

Your area is brutal for parking.

Another thing I noticed about vehicles in your area - the bumpers are not just for looks, they're actually used. Around here, gently bumping another car while parallel parking is a hanging offense, but it seems acceptable in Chicago. It's funny to see expensive cars in Chicago with nicks and dings decorating their bumpers.

Sorry, I took you off-topic. :D

Your area is brutal for parking.

Another thing I noticed about vehicles in your area - the bumpers are not just for looks, they're actually used. Around here, gently bumping another car while parallel parking is a hanging offense, but it seems acceptable in Chicago. It's funny to see expensive cars in Chicago with nicks and dings decorating their bumpers.

Sorry, I took you off-topic. :D

Yeah, I don't park in tight space this often. I'm lucky that I've plenty of space where I live.

Back