How do you think Hearing society views Deaf community

Kelsey191

Reaction score
My name is Kelsey and I am writing a paper on Deaf Culture and Deaf Education. How do you think hearing view the Deaf and do you think they understand you. I am hearing and I want to work with deaf children so if I can get 20 people's opinions that will be helpful. Also I won't use your names and I wont judge you. Thank you God bless.

I personally don't care about how other people view Deaf people. Many of those deaf/Deaf people are too busy bragging about their turbocharged engine(s) to give their thought on this strange topic.

Kesley, please do your homework properly though this forum. I have mentioned something about between Deaf and Hearing. I ain't gonna repeat cause it is already posted in other thread of this forum.

Since your newly join here, please, PLEASE DO READ AD policy first, it will explain what you can and can't do on this forum. You have violated the policy by create this type of thread already and you wouldn't want to break the rule again. Your welcome here and we do not want to take the welcome pad away from you.

Last edited:
oK Kelsey, seek shall receive (just this once) id be generous here

Hearing people dont see Deaf people as a cultural group, they tend to see deaf people as a disabled group, with a bit of a problem (with language, attitudes, and behaviours).

More so-called "educated" professionals still hold what most hearing people believe, but they are trained to lie about their 'faith' in Deaf culture, just to keep their jobs and to pacify d/Deaf people, AND still continue to do oralism because cochlear implants is "replacing" sign language.
Sign Language is generally seen as a language of the disabled, not as a cultural language.
Sad and sick but true.

When my daughter was 8, one day she was coming her hair ,and she asked me Daddy ," how was her hair look?" So I told her to look in the mirrors and I asked her , " What do you think? " She replied " my hair looks pretty" Then I told her that is all what is matter. Is what you think and it doesn't matter what other people think.
It doesn't matter what hearing people think about deaf people. It starts with you.

Kelsey....dunno if ur hearing or deaf ??...So..if ur hearing...what is ur own opinion of we deafies or deaf people?...And if ur deaf...why should you really care?

I don't worry about what other people think of me...simply because I'm deaf and there's nothing that will change it....Same thing if I was an amputee....my legs are not gonna grow back....

But one thing I'd like to say...if a hearing person made a negative comment about my deafness or the deaf community....then they are gonna have to deal with me because that would make it personal....

Kelsey, you almost answered your own question. Consider what you wrote and why you wrote it.

Are you trying to make us suffer being in the hearing society? I don't know what the hearing people view the Deaf community. I am not in their shoes. Why would you ask silly questions? I know that the hearing society want us to be like them as hearing as possible which is impossible as they don't understand that hearing is not the same as their hearing. They have tried with hearing aids and CIs and some might work as long as there are mild hearing loss but with severe and profound deafness, that can be a lot of struggle. The hearing people don't accept us for who we are as a d/Deaf people. They forced us to do what they want us to do. They never bother to ask or to see what our needs are for accommodations whether in the Deaf schools or mainstream schools.

You are going to have to ask the hearing people about it. You are asking the wrong people. :roll:

sadly when people no understand it can be hard but that go for all situations..i have deaf friend and i know people feel intimidated and he feels frustrated because of his voice,his life was made miserable by people who should had compassion and known better he gave up his job as bsl teacher how bizzare is that

Back