How do you store and transport your guns?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
How do you store your guns?
  • Full-size safe?
  • In-wall (hidden) cabinet?
  • Under the pillow or bed?
  • All over the house? In your car?
  • On your person?
  • In your bunker or buried in a hole in the woods?

How do you transport your guns?
  • Concealed on your person?
  • Concealed in a backpack?
  • In the glove box?
  • On a gun rack in the pickup?
  • In gun cases in the back of the vehicle?
  • Loaded? Unloaded?
  • In the open?

How do you store your guns?
my handgun's kept in a gun bag in my closet. my shotgun's in my soft case in my storage room. although... I'm not quite sure why it's in my storage room... I thought I kept it at the corner in bedroom...

neither of them is locked.

How do you transport your guns?
my handgun is kept in a gun case that it came with when I bought it. I lock it with a small combination lock.

as for my shotgun... it's in the soft case but has no lock. this is possibly illegal to transport in my state since my SUV's trunk is accessible from the seat. if it's in a car trunk, then it's fine because it's considered as a "locked container". Same for locked glove box but you definitely don't want to gamble with that especially in NJ.

I need to get a big hard case (FAA-approved) for both my handgun and shotgun but... it's $$$$$$ :(

my handgun's kept in a gun bag in my closet. my shotgun's in my soft case in my storage room. although... I'm not quite sure why it's in my storage room... I thought I kept it at the corner in bedroom...

neither of them is locked.
Is your storage room in your living area or outside, like a shed or garage?

Unlocked? Even when you leave the house?

my handgun is kept in a gun case that it came with when I bought it. I lock it with a small combination lock.

as for my shotgun... it's in the soft case but has no lock. this is possibly illegal to transport in my state since my SUV's trunk is accessible from the seat. if it's in a car trunk, then it's fine because it's considered as a "locked container". Same for locked glove box but you definitely don't want to gamble with that especially in NJ.
SUV's and trucks don't have locking glove boxes; some have locking consoles.

I need to get a big hard case (FAA-approved) for both my handgun and shotgun but... it's $$$$$$ :(
Understood. TCS's AR-15 came with a hard case but none of our other long guns did.

At home, most of our guns are kept in a locked safe (tall but not very wide), inside TCS's walk-in closet. We have one loaded handgun in the bedside nightstand drawer. We're looking into getting additional storage, maybe some built-in. Our safe is full.

When we drive to the range, we carry all our guns in their soft cases, unloaded, in the back hatch area of the Jeep, which is like an SUV, being open all the way thru. That's perfectly legal in SC.

If, for example, TCS is carrying a concealed gun on his person, then he leaves it on while driving.

Is your storage room in your living area or outside, like a shed or garage?
I live in a condo so there's a storage room at different floor. inside the storage room is several sections divided up by fences. it's locked, of course.

Unlocked? Even when you leave the house?
yea. unlocked. this condo is safe enough. my mom's almost always home so I'm not very concerned about it. it would be a different story if I live in a private house. I'd get a big gun safe bolted to a floor in closet.

SUV's and trucks don't have locking glove boxes; some have locking consoles.
To be sure if I'm saying it right. This is glove box I was referring to and it's lockable -

300px-Glove-box.jpg

what's a locking console? the one where I rest my arm on?

Understood. TCS's AR-15 came with a hard case but none of our other long guns did.
most OEM boxes are not FAA-approved because if a finger can get thru even if locked, then it's no good. FAA-approved gun case has to be hard and completely locked and sealed with no tiny opening.

something I learned when reading up on how to transport a gun at airport - Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration

I live in a condo so there's a storage room at different floor. inside the storage room is several sections divided up by fences. it's locked, of course.
I guess that's not a home defense gun, eh?

yea. unlocked. this condo is safe enough. my mom's almost always home so I'm not very concerned about it. it would be a different story if I live in a private house. I'd get a big gun safe bolted to a floor in closet.
Our safe is bolted in but it's a cheap one. I would like a better one but the cost...

To be sure if I'm saying it right. This is glove box I was referring to and it's lockable -
Yes, that's a glove box. None of our Jeeps, SUV's, or trucks have had lockable glove boxes.

what's a locking console? the one where I rest my arm on?
Yes. Our consoles are not lockable but some are.

most OEM boxes are not FAA-approved because if a finger can get thru even if locked, then it's no good. FAA-approved gun case has to be hard and completely locked and sealed with no tiny opening.
We don't plan on flying with it.

Just FYI:

"SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions. (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance;"

"The previous posts are correct on carrying in a vehicle in SC.

I'm a SC LEO and the SC laws regarding handguns allow you to keep a handguns (or any gun) in your hotel room with you, just like in your home. I DO NOT recommend leaving guns or other valuables in your room while you are away while traveling anywhere. As far as carrying in your car, you are allowed to carry your handgun in the glovebox, center console, locked container or the trunk (behind the rearmost seat counts as the trunk in an SUV) in your vehicle. The glovebox or center console do not have to be locked and the gun may be loaded. It is recommended that you keep your car registration and insurance card in a place other than where the pistol is. If you get pulled over and start digging around next to a pistol while getting your car papers, thing may get "a little tense." DO NOT keep your pistol on, under, or tucked between the seats while in SC. You will likely get arrested for unlawful transportation of a pistol. You are only required to inform LE of the presence of a pistol if you are carrying it on your person pursuant to a CWP."

"Closed" is required but "locked" is not.

I guess that's not a home defense gun, eh?
the handgun is with me but my shotgun is in storage room. I need to remember to bring it home.

We don't plan on flying with it.
right but I'm just saying that I'd want an FAA-approved gun case since it's very secured and not as flimsy as my Springfield OEM box.

the handgun is with me but my shotgun is in storage room. I need to remember to bring it home.

right but I'm just saying that I'd want an FAA-approved gun case since it's very secured and not as flimsy as my Springfield OEM box.
As long as you remember to bring it home. :lol:

Of course, the key with any security system is that it gets used regularly and correctly. Otherwise, it's worthless. That is, the sturdiest case or safe left unlocked is just a tidy way to keep the dust off weapons. :giggle:

I'm thinking of tightening our outer perimeter, overall. That is, getting a whole-house monitored security system. My neighbors on either side of us have them, so it's like we have an invitation sign on our house.

I only store it when I'm sleeping - in which case, it's tucked in a holster (loaded - if it's not loaded, it's an expensive club) off to the side of the bed where I have no chance of accidentally bumping into it or my roommate finding it.

As far as transporting goes... I switch back and forth between openly carrying it, and concealed on my person. I always have it on me though, unless I'm at sacrament meeting in church. I don't like bringing my gun into the chapel.

...I don't like bringing my gun into the chapel.
That can be a dilemma. Yet, crazed shooters attack church congregations, so churches are targets. :hmm:

Our pastor is a Second Amendment supporter, and is a gun owner himself. He sometimes goes shooting with Hubby. He doesn't mind members carrying concealed at church, as long as they keep it private. We also have police officers who are church members, and they carry their weapons at all times. Not a problem.

That can be a dilemma. Yet, crazed shooters attack church congregations, so churches are targets. :hmm:

Our pastor is a Second Amendment supporter, and is a gun owner himself. He sometimes goes shooting with Hubby. He doesn't mind members carrying concealed at church, as long as they keep it private. We also have police officers who are church members, and they carry their weapons at all times. Not a problem.

For sure. But it's only the chapel I have issues carrying in. When we have events, or I've got to go in to do a service project, or I go to see my bishop, I've got it on me. :) I don't really believe in gun-free zones, because, as far as I'm concerned, they're incorrectly named. "Conveniently Disarmed Zones" seems more accurate, to me.

Since too many hackers and eyes around the Net and they have the ability to track down to where we are so, I ain't gonna share where I hide my firearms.

My advice to you the firearm owners on the net... STFU about where your hiding your firearms! That is for your safety and ours.

Since too many hackers and eyes around the Net and they have the ability to track down to where we are so, I ain't gonna share where I hide my firearms.

My advice to you the firearm owners on the net... STFU about where your hiding your firearms! That is for your safety and ours.
Do you really think someone is going to track down our addresses and break in? Do you know someone that happened to?

It is happening. Your being tracked and not even knowing it AT ALL.
Let me get link and prepare to have pillow under your jaws.

Do you really think someone is going to track down our addresses and break in? Do you know someone that happened to?

I was thinking about this and I agree with you, hackers are very good at getting people personal info on line. I know some cities had listed gun owners names and addresses in the newspapers and now people guns are getting stolen. I would like to what jackass came out up with the bright idea!

*shrug*

I say... if they wanna live longer, they should stay home :)

Look at who is talking. :roll:

I visited Jiro at his apartment in North Jersey one or two years ago, he never showed me where his guns are stored at.

Back