How do you like to personalize your living space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's quite a lot of electronic devices you have in one room. in my previous apt - the only electronic devices I had were laptop, printer, and desk lamp. rest is in living room. I certainly don't want my bedroom to be filled with electrical waves and such while I sleep :lol:

I only do the charging overnight most nights, unless I am bored, and want to watch TV or something, then I'll start up the TV and cable box, but I rarely use it, anyways. Mainly my room sees a lot of electronics charging, and that's about it.

I'd love to, but the closest IKEA is in Schamburg, IL, more than 40 miles away. There aren't any others around here but that one. If I were to buy furniture from there, I'd have to have it delivered, and I do not know how much it costs, but it can get expensive fast.

And we drove 300 miles at both ways for buy stuff from Ikea in Schamburg,IL.
The 40 miles is not big DEAL.

Better check reviews first before buy at Ikea.

And we drove 300 miles at both ways for buy stuff from Ikea in Schamburg,IL.
The 40 miles is not big DEAL.

Better check reviews first before buy at Ikea.

Actually it is. I can't drive, and bringing large stuff isn't allowed on the Pace or CTA. Metra? Sure, if it's permissible, but not that large. So I have to figure out how to do it.

Actually it is. I can't drive, and bringing large stuff isn't allowed on the Pace or CTA. Metra? Sure, if it's permissible, but not that large. So I have to figure out how to do it.

Did you know that IKEA delivery at your place as under 60 miles range? So just go there for test them till you like then ask salesman for delivery.

Did you know that IKEA delivery at your place as under 60 miles range? So just go there for test them till you like then ask salesman for delivery.

No, I didn't. I learn something new everyday, but what restrictions do they have? And is it free? Actually, know what? Never mind. I'll do the research myself.

Before you buy anything:

Measure the floor space in your room.

Use those measurements to draw the floor to scale on graph paper.

Also measure each piece of current furniture you have and cut paper of those items to the same scale as the graph paper. Include the pieces that you have in storage because you may find that a combination using some of them will work better than what is in the room now.

Now play around by moving the cutouts of the furniture around on the scale drawing of your floor.

If you do decide to go shopping for any furniture items be sure to take your measurements with you. Also take a tape measure to measure the pieces you look at.

Another thing you can do is use paper (such as old newspaper) taped together as patterns of your furniture and move that around the room. Newspaper is a lot lighter than actual furniture but will give you a good idea if you are leaving enough room around things to walk.

Before you buy anything:

Measure the floor space in your room.

Use those measurements to draw the floor to scale on graph paper.

Also measure each piece of current furniture you have and cut paper of those items to the same scale as the graph paper. Include the pieces that you have in storage because you may find that a combination using some of them will work better than what is in the room now.

Now play around by moving the cutouts of the furniture around on the scale drawing of your floor.

If you do decide to go shopping for any furniture items be sure to take your measurements with you. Also take a tape measure to measure the pieces you look at.

Another thing you can do is use paper (such as old newspaper) taped together as patterns of your furniture and move that around the room. Newspaper is a lot lighter than actual furniture but will give you a good idea if you are leaving enough room around things to walk.

Funny you mention combinations. I was just down in storage looking for wiring for a printer I am currently installing, and I found an older wire that'll work with the MP530 printer, so that's something I was looking for. All my things in storage is mainly clothes, but I DO have bits and pieces of wiring I occasionally use when they're needed. However, many I do not, though, and I need to find someone who'd be willing to trade some of the wiring for a small something.

Why don't you live with your parents, so you ll be able to afford the phone, supplies, more spaces and have parents to call cops readily for you?? :dunno2:

Why don't you live with your parents, so you ll be able to afford the phone, supplies, more spaces and have parents to call cops readily for you?? :dunno2:

That's not an option. My parents live in Southern IL, and I live up north. I'd like to stay in a community where the Deaf are numerous, and not so few. That, and my parents would probably bore me to death. I like to stay active, and keep going. That I can do here, and do different things daily. Down there? Same old, same old. That I do not want. I want different and new stuff. And I haven't called the police in a while; I have no need to right now, but I AM keeping an eye on the furnace, in case it breaks down again in this extreme cold, and if it does, I have better ways to deal with it.

Hello!! My walls are white. So is the rest of the house. That gives me a clue about the previous owners of this house.

You have an apartment , and most landlords keep the walls white . This way people can add their favorite colors and not have to worry how it will look with the wall. I rented a few apartments and they all had white walls. I hate white walls and painted one apartment in bright colors.

You have an apartment , and most landlords keep the walls white . This way people can add their favorite colors and not have to worry how it will look with the wall. I rented a few apartments and they all had white walls. I hate white walls and painted one apartment in bright colors.

I'm actually in a house, although an apartment of my liking would be nice. Just needs to be the right price, and I can move in.

I can't feel at home somewhere until I make it smell like home. Candles, incense, baking cookies, whatever. I'm also a painter, so that's usually step one for me. Then I clean like a crazy person. Then the smelly things start while I unpack.

That's not an option. My parents live in Southern IL, and I live up north. I'd like to stay in a community where the Deaf are numerous, and not so few. That, and my parents would probably bore me to death. I like to stay active, and keep going. That I can do here, and do different things daily. Down there? Same old, same old. That I do not want. I want different and new stuff. And I haven't called the police in a while; I have no need to right now, but I AM keeping an eye on the furnace, in case it breaks down again in this extreme cold, and if it does, I have better ways to deal with it.

when's the last time you called a police? and what for?

Well, I have begun the process of better organizing my room.

Awesome! Reorganizing can make a huge impact on how a room feels. A organized room is always more pleasant then a cluttered one even if they have the exact same things in them. :)

when's the last time you called a police? and what for?

16 days ago, the furnace broke down, and the house temps plunged below 50 degrees, and it was early in the morning-- about 1 AM when I made the decision to give the station a call. The officers who showed up 45 minutes later said that the conditions were not safe for us, and they brought us to the Rogers Park Police station, and they asked me for contact info for property management, and since they weren't open yet, they left a message, and they immediately got someone to work on it-- it was an emergency repair job, and high priority. Later that day, around 11:45 AM or so, we were told it'd been repaired, and it has held up so far, but last night's temp was -5, and there is some concern that it may break down again, and if it does, then we have electric heaters on standby, but they're for emergency use only, though. There used to be 3, but now there's 4.

16 days ago, the furnace broke down, and the house temps plunged below 50 degrees, and it was early in the morning-- about 1 AM when I made the decision to give the station a call. The officers who showed up 45 minutes later said that the conditions were not safe for us, and they brought us to the Rogers Park Police station, and they asked me for contact info for property management, and since they weren't open yet, they left a message, and they immediately got someone to work on it-- it was an emergency repair job, and high priority. Later that day, around 11:45 AM or so, we were told it'd been repaired, and it has held up so far, but last night's temp was -5, and there is some concern that it may break down again, and if it does, then we have electric heaters on standby, but they're for emergency use only, though. There used to be 3, but now there's 4.

oic.

are you a regular at Rogers Park police station? it sounds like you've contacted them quite a number of times.

oic.

are you a regular at Rogers Park police station? it sounds like you've contacted them quite a number of times.

No, but the station is on my regular bicycle route, and they know me from my passing there quite often. I rarely go into the station itself, unless it was an extreme emergency, and I didn't have a lot of options that night. Now that I have obtained some information, along with permissions to do certain things, I have a better idea of what to do next time. Prior to that, the last time we had a major emergency was when lightening struck a tree, and took out a power line connecting the house to the main wires in the back. That branch not only took out power wires, but it also damaged the electric meter pretty badly, too, and major repairs were needed, along with a major upgrade to our fuse box.

Not at all. I'm actually working on making my room a St. Louis Cardinals friendly room, as they're my favorite sports team. I have six different hats (Still missing one more), and I also have a NL Central banner from 1994, the year that division was supposed to begin play. I have another one from 2003 or 2004, when they still had their old logo. I'd like to add more, in particular World Series championships from 2006 and 2011, and NLCS championships from 2004, 2006, 2011 and 2013. Division title banners? Forget that. Too many of those.

Maybe some nice locks or barricades to protect yourself from Cubs and White Sox fans?

Kegerator would be cool, too.

Maybe some nice locks or barricades to protect yourself from Cubs and White Sox fans?

Kegerator would be cool, too.

I have many friends who are one or the other, and we get along great, despite what you may have heard about the rift between the three.

I know that a furnace going bad in the winter is pretty serious but calling the police is just a bit too much; they have to handle more serious emergencies like robberies, DUIs, break-ins, etc...

Did it ever occur you just to contact the property management directly? Getting the police involved can really piss people off and you might end up on bad terms with the management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back