How do you like the label 'Special Ed's student?

That is what I hear from deaf kids that are mainstreamed and have pull out sessions all the time. Some kids handle it pretty well, but some other end up reacting very negatively and become very withdrawn...which just causes more problems for self esteem and socialization.

I wish I had that "I dont give a **&" attitude but I wanted to fit in so badly but no matter how much I try, something always made me stand out from the rest of my peers.

Same here...about no deaf program and putting me in the front row with an FM system. :roll:

All of the kids in my classes had to sit in alphabetical order by last name. Except me. I had to sit with the B's and my maiden name begins with an M. Very embarrassing. "Young lady, you must sit in the center, front row." Gawd I hated that!

Yeah. Some kids even take the attitude that a deaf student who has an interpreter is getting special favors that give them an advantage over the hearing students. The mainstream is a very uncomfortable place for a deaf student.

You can say that again !!!

Yeah. Some kids even take the attitude that a deaf student who has an interpreter is getting special favors that give them an advantage over the hearing students. The mainstream is a very uncomfortable place for a deaf student.

not only that, I'm not sure if the local district want to pay for interpreters for each student..

I'm sure the kids feel the same way about CART

not only that, I'm not sure if the local district want to pay for interpreters for each student..

I'm sure the kids feel the same way about CART

At Arizona State University, I used a CART since I wasnt fluent in ASL then. Nobody gave me a hard time about it because we were all adults and more understanding. Children arent.

Shelia, it's great that you had such a great experiance in a dhh program. I really think most kids should start out in dhh program, and then gradually "graduate" to the mainstream. Just reinforces my hypothesis.. specialized formal program mainstreaming/sped is MUCH better then Resource Room style sped!
And I hear everyone about the pullouts. I HATED them. I still don't know how I managed them, and I had more pullouts then the average dhh kid. (speech, PT and Resource Room....no TOD consultations :() I always wished I could have gone to a school/program that had speech and TOD stuff built in.
AdamsMomma, I think if you go the formal disabilty program route, Adam will have a much much better experiance then if you did the "solotaire" pullout mainstreaming.

Tell me about it!! I notice a few of saying this!!

I wish I had that "I dont give a **&" attitude but I wanted to fit in so badly but no matter how much I try, something always made me stand out from the rest of my peers.

I was the tallest kid in fourth grade class as I stayed back in first grade andthis made me stick more and wearing that body hearing aid with the cord running down your neck did not help. I was the only HOH student in grade school . I only when to school with girl that was HOH and that was my first year of the reject class. I can't believe no one told my parents to take to school the deaf and HOH in Boston, Ma, which was of the best school around. I could gotten there by train in 30 min.

where I'm from there's a school for Gifted and Talented kids with "special ed" kids. The school gets all kind of recognition. They teach all the kids ASL. Everyone wants to get into the school even though there are kids with all kinds of disability, there's also the very talented kids who are hand picked from the school. you can't be zoned to the school. they test you and you're selected to go to the school. their thinking is that GT kids think differently than regular kids and are more kind hearted. The kids are all different, they get GT classes where they excel and extra help where they need it. I don't live in the area, you have to live in the school district to even qualify to go to that school. But there's a wait and every year, people sign their kids up to be tested to get into that school. one of the teacher told me that there are 10 kids waiting for 1 spot that opens in the school. I think that system works well.

At my sister's school they have pull out programs for "quest" kids. these kids are tested and are consider GT. They are kids that "think outside the box". they also have pull out GT math and GT english. So the kids that get pulled out aren't only the "special ed" kids but a mix of all different kinds of program. I think that system works too.\

My kids does not attend either 1 of those schools but I like the concept and it seems to work.

where I'm from there's a school for Gifted and Talented kids with "special ed" kids. The school gets all kind of recognition. They teach all the kids ASL. Everyone wants to get into the school even though there are kids with all kinds of disability, there's also the very talented kids who are hand picked from the school. you can't be zoned to the school. they test you and you're selected to go to the school. their thinking is that GT kids think differently than regular kids and are more kind hearted. The kids are all different, they get GT classes where they excel and extra help where they need it. I don't live in the area, you have to live in the school district to even qualify to go to that school. But there's a wait and every year, people sign their kids up to be tested to get into that school. one of the teacher told me that there are 10 kids waiting for 1 spot that opens in the school. I think that system works well.

At my sister's school they have pull out programs for "quest" kids. these kids are tested and are consider GT. They are kids that "think outside the box". they also have pull out GT math and GT english. So the kids that get pulled out aren't only the "special ed" kids but a mix of all different kinds of program. I think that system works too.\

My kids does not attend either 1 of those schools but I like the concept and it seems to work.
What school is this?

where I'm from there's a school for Gifted and Talented kids with "special ed" kids.

When I worked w/a 3 yo toddler w/Down Syndrome-- we went to a 'special ed' preschool 1/2 the day... that's where I learned that being 'gifted' was also considered a learning disability...

I dont agree with it. Its too stereotypical. HOw can you "tag" a child of being "special"?? what is special and what is normal?? who decides which definitions to apply to each. Every student has their strengths and weaknesses; its onlya matter of creating a comfortable learning environment for every student to work and develop at a pace that is right to THEM

adamsmomma i wish you the best... u supporting ur child will take u both a long way

I dont agree with it. Its too stereotypical. HOw can you "tag" a child of being "special"?? what is special and what is normal?? who decides which definitions to apply to each. Every student has their strengths and weaknesses; its onlya matter of creating a comfortable learning environment for every student to work and develop at a pace that is right to THEM

That's how I think it should be but the 'standards' have been in place for so long, I don't see a change in the near future... I've considered putting Adam in a Montessori school if I could find the right one, that lets kids learn more on their own level-- and by what ever means they need-- but not all Montessori schools are like that even...

I used to think homeschooling was nuts b/c kids need social interaction and the out of home structure... but as A gets older I've often considered it... if only I had the income to do that... then get him involved in other outside activities-- sports, etc for his social interaction... So Kristina... Hats off to you girl for having the patience and the ability to do it w/your two!!!

its sad but here in puerto rico they have a school for deaf and hoh children but its aweful how the place limits on children before they even experiment different options. They tell children that they could work in supermarkets, bakeries ect but what if a child has the ambition to be veterinarian? If he works hard enough, he might but we should never be the one to put limits on children because ultimately we dnt really know what they are really capable of.... if a child can count to 20?, why only make him count to 10?

That's how I think it should be but the 'standards' have been in place for so long, I don't see a change in the near future... I've considered putting Adam in a Montessori school if I could find the right one, that lets kids learn more on their own level-- and by what ever means they need-- but not all Montessori schools are like that even...

I used to think homeschooling was nuts b/c kids need social interaction and the out of home structure... but as A gets older I've often considered it... if only I had the income to do that... then get him involved in other outside activities-- sports, etc for his social interaction... So Kristina... Hats off to you girl for having the patience and the ability to do it w/your two!!!

Believe me, there have been a lot of times when I've wanted to put them back in public school. :lol:

Homeschooling has been a blessing for the most part. I relearn a lot, and learn new things or new ways of doing things. They learn a lot and grow so much. Now that they are teens, it is much harder. Daughter struggles so much, but we work hard and go at her pace. Son is getting to where he'd rather put it off. He has already blown through school this week, but has agreed that next week I can double up everything so he's back on track. I have to remind him of the goals he came up with and he will then decide to get his work done without too much complaining. He is finding math to be the hardest. All we are on is pre-algebra, but it is like pulling teeth to get him to remember how to do this. Poor daughter is back to the 3rd grade level in math again. Her speech is also beginning to get bad again. I have to pull out the phonics programs again.

its sad but here in puerto rico they have a school for deaf and hoh children but its aweful how the place limits on children before they even experiment different options. They tell children that they could work in supermarkets, bakeries ect but what if a child has the ambition to be veterinarian? If he works hard enough, he might but we should never be the one to put limits on children because ultimately we dnt really know what they are really capable of.... if a child can count to 20?, why only make him count to 10?

Are you sure about what you are saying? That is not what I have observed about graduate of deaf school in Puerto Rico.

yup im sure thats what i ive seen from students there and a lady that used to teach in el Colegio San Gabriel

Back