How did you handle your deafness/hoh while growing up?

Yes. Mainstream schools don't give a shit about how well they educate dhh (or other low incidence disabilty kids) They basicly like using the law to give minimal accomodnations, so they can just use kids with disabilties as cash cows, and then dump them on disabilty.

Hi, DD!:wave: You sure tellin' the truth. They didnt care about me and I sho' dont give a crap about them. :)

I had couple of bad memories in high-school. In typewriting class, I tried to focus the teacher giving instructions. I got so far behind and he realized it so he turned my typewriter off. One time, in computer class, I asked the student next to me a question, the teacher came over, saw how far I was behind and she turned my puter off and students laughed at me. It was extremely bad for me. The high-school I went to was demolished after they built a new one two yrs ago. That put a smile on my face and I even visited the site after it was over. :lol:

dont let your parents get you down hon. mine did the same thing when i dropped out. i have my GED now too. good job getting yours! :)

:ty:

Yes. Mainstream schools don't give a shit about how well they educate dhh (or other low incidence disabilty kids) They basicly like using the law to give minimal accomodnations, so they can just use kids with disabilties as cash cows, and then dump them on disabilty.

now, you're on to something, that's the clue of wheres the problems lie.

I had to educate myself, more or less. When I was nine years old, my parents bought me an Encyclopedia Brittanica and it was the best gift I could ever have. My parents taught me to stop reading when I ran across a word I didn't know, look it up, AND write down the meaning in my "vocabulary notebook."
School was a rather dreary existence.

Hi, DD!:wave: You sure tellin' the truth. They didnt care about me and I sho' dont give a crap about them. :)

I had couple of bad memories in high-school. In typewriting class, I tried to focus the teacher giving instructions. I got so far behind and he realized it so he turned my typewriter off. One time, in computer class, I asked the student next to me a question, the teacher came over, saw how far I was behind and she turned my puter off and students laughed at me. It was extremely bad for me. The high-school I went to was demolished after they built a new one two yrs ago. That put a smile on my face and I even visited the site after it was over. :lol:

:ty:

That reminds me of my 8th grade keyboarding class. All of the other students got computers and I was shuffled around until I got stuck with the old typewriter. I remember turning around and a boy was up in my face and said "You're on the typewriter retard!" I quickly changed my class from keyboarding to band just simply because I knew it was going to be a bad class and this was only the third day into the class for that semester.

Ironically, I went to band. At least there I wasn't picked on as much.

i was born profoundly deaf.. growing up i went to hearing schools with deaf programs and mainstreamed full-time. it was great but the deaf kids were very snobby so i wasn't really friends with them. some of them would always pick on me cause i was quiet and shy.. and the hearing people didn't care to communicate with me.. so at times i felt isolated. i had more friends outside of school and they'd always make me forget all the lonely/sad times i had at school

i've been with hearing people all my life so i wasn't exactly a part of the "deaf crowd"..it sucked ass big time- when i went to Gallaudet for a while i always felt left out because i'd get judged for not being deaf enough and having no asl skills (and i still don't :() so i feel like some of you deafs hate me cause of that..which sucks!! because i'd really like to be a part of the deaf world.

how do i handle my deafness? i don't let it stop me from enjoying life!! i'm VERY proud to be who i am..and if people don't take me as i am then they don't need to be around me. proud to say that i am a stronger person now and i've learnt to say :fu2: to the haters!

How is weather? :giggle:

Boyfriend say common hearie or deafie to feel awkward and not know what to say. :hmm:

Maybe there is class to take?:giggle:

Or, keep notes of what work and what do not?

lol funny comedy! you are funny :D

Back