How did you decide a career?

I love: running, playing soccer, reading for fun, friends, parties, dogs, cats, horses - any animal, learning about different people, meeting new people, learning new ideas and skills. My strengths are: outgoing, friendly, like everyone (almost) and (usually) most like me, good with animals, athletic, high energy, hard working (usually), not dumb, good with math and science (usually but not great), kind. My weakness (for balance): impatient, lose interest and stop paying attention, bored fast, niave (sp?) - I know, first I like everyone without "common sense" (my dad argues that I am too friendly to everyone without "using my head" and sometimes "softheaded" :(), not brillant, good grades with hard work and attention but bad grades with less work and attention, now hating school, probably immature, sometimes lazy.

I don't know a career that uses the strengths. I could: meet new dogs while running and doing math in my head on the road to making new friends. No. :D

What about becoming a vet or a zoologist?

And you could begin by becoming a Veterinarian Technician. Then as
you work for a Vet you could go to school part time, (one class per
semester keeps it fun) and save money for school expenses. You
already have lab experiance! That would be a plus. And some vettechs
get to travel around to peoples farms and work on the animals so
the vet doesn't have to.

How did you decide a career? Are you happy? Do you have advice?

I can't think of any good career. I am sick of school now, but I don't have a career decided. Old jobs: lab technician, stable helper, dog walker - :(

All replies welcome! :ty:

Hey Kaitin
I fell into my career unexpectedly. I graduated college with a theater degree working specifically in makeup. I do prosthetics and all that stuff. But I spent so much time the other makeup classes and helping my mentor they asked me to teach. I didn't have any experience teaching, but it was a steady paying job. I found that I really love to teach and have been teaching college for 7 years now. But, I am getting weary of the politics at the school and the fact that I can't move up or expand what I'm doing. So know I'm starting to train to be a scuba diving instructor and hope to become fluent enough to teach it to the deaf too. In adition I might go back to school for marine science so I can educate kids on the marine world through scuba diving. I like teaching kids. So maybe you should try a few things and see what you gravitate towards. You never know where you will find your passion! Just try many things. Good luck!

I don't what a zoologist does. I took Zoology, but I don't know the job. We dissected animals :)() and learned taxonomy.

I don't think a vet school would accept me - they require very high GPA. Maybe vet tech - I know nothing about the job, but will research it.

:ty:

im sure Vet school,Medical School and law school must have highest grades and also GPA include all of A and B both! from high school and colleges also that not so easy! if you are straighten students they colleges deans would chose you going to college what to become as in futures!

im sure when my mom was young she wanted become doctors and someone of her family wanted her going to medical school and she is straight students when she very young and she wanted going colleges in Little Rock,Ar or Conway,Ar between and its her decide for my mom going for her future careers and also she DID going to busniess school when my mom meet my dad at busniess school! and my mom tell me about how met each other says in busniess school! they later my mom went to nursing school study to become nurse RN that would better than MD!

I told my mom about i wanted going colleges of Pulaski Tech Colleges in North Little Rock,Ar and im study Early Childhood Dev because i love children and i would loves to become teachers one days! and i never graduates there because that test very rough! and include lots of mores but i never says for drop classes! but my mom was right about that test very hard for me but i tried tell my mom about why not hires tutor!

my cousin who current college in Texas study history and my cousin will going to law school after college but im sure my cousin will try for going law school im hope so!

I don't think a vet school would accept me - they require very high GPA. Maybe vet tech - I know nothing about the job, but will research it.

Do not allow a low GPA to stand in your way! There is a video and
if you could find someone to interpret it for you it would be very helpful.
It is called, "Where there is a will there is an A". You can check it
out from any good library.

I have read what you have written and I can assure you that you are
capable of getting the grades necessary and if need be GPA is not the
only thing looked at. Desire is a strong consideration. A college will
look at you and if you have worked in your field and done well, (Vet Tech)
and you take one class that is hard and get a good grade then you
will be accepted to a college. Maybe not one you wanted first, but a
college none the same.

I made this mistake when I entered the military. I wanted to go AirForce
but I had heard that the test was harder. So I went into the Army. Later
I found out that the only difference between the two is how high each
score must be to get a particular job. Like in the Army you only need a
69 to be a mechanic but in the AirForce you need a 73. The tests were
identical and I aced them all. You ARE bright enough to do WHATEVER
YOU WANT!. Go for it!:fingersx:

Hi, Whitewolves:

I worked in a medical research lab. I did ELISAs for finding cytokines in lung fluid. I also fed and divided lung cells growing in flasks. I've never done repair work or used precision assembly. But lab work was boring and lonely - just ELISAs all day, with pippettes and chemicals. I don't think I was good or very bad - just ok with ELISAs and lots of the other lab work I didn't understand. It wasn't my job, but I don't know if I could understand with a Biology degree (maybe in 2 years). The people in the lab had Ph.D degrees, M.D. degrees, or Ph.D. degree AND M.D. degree.

Do you do precision assembly? Do you like this?

:ty:

My wife does the precision assembly as part of her hobby at home (she does not want me to tell everyone about what kind of her hobby is as i respect her wishes)... But she was Quality Control Inspector or Quality Control Assurance Inspector for Aerospace and D.O.D. (Dept. Of Defense) and she had highest secret clearance to go in any military bases for blueprints drawings of Space Shuttle, military airplanes and stuffs. But she quit that job due to stress between work, home and my mom that inferred our marriage that time. And she was the only deaf Inspector for D.O.D. in whole entire california that time (1986).

I wanted to do arts when I started the college but my mother vetoed it. I didn't like most of the arts teachers so I went for photograhy which is close to arts. Did a year but decided I can't see myself spending all my time in darkroom. Had thought about optical or medical tech. Decided on computer programming. Love the programming but hate the way my old employer treated me. Right now, I am not working as I have to look after my mother. I would want to be self-employed but in what? Maybe in computer programming or webmastering.

Kaitin, you haven't found your calling yet. Keep looking. Since you like reading, how about working in the library? You love animals - how about working for no-kill shelter, finding homes for the pets? I have heard about using a hobby for a living as it is a best thing as it won't be like a chore at all.

Shel90, what interesting stuff you've gotten??

Fredfam1, Free stuff?? Are you on freecycler.org like I am??

Back