How did it Happen

stillwaiting

Reaction score
Hi everyone I wanted to know how did you become deaf/HOH, were you born this way,did you lose it over time, or was it some you did that made you this way?

I was born deaf- I believe it's due to genetics (my parents and extended family members are also deaf)

I was born Deaf. My two children born Deaf. My older daughter became Deaf at the age of 4 due to Virus Infection. My hubby born Deaf. :)

born deaf due to rubella that my mother had during third trimester.

Another Question

Is there anyone here that just didnt become Deaf/HOH because of an infection or that was just born Deaf is there anyone here that took medication or some over the counter or maybe some that you did one day and then you became Deaf.

stillwaiting said:
Is there anyone here that just didnt become Deaf/HOH because of an infection or that was just born Deaf is there anyone here that took medication or some over the counter or maybe some that you did one day and then you became Deaf.
Dont mind me asking but did something like that happen to you?

I think so

My doctor but me on some medication and now my hearing is fading away but Maybe it was some that I did in my daily life and didn't notice it thats why I wanted input from other. I'm trying to put it all together thats why I need all the info that I can get. Thanks

I have met more people online than I have in real life who became deaf later because of the otoxic meds given to them.

stillwaiting said:
Hi everyone I wanted to know how did you become deaf/HOH, were you born this way,did you lose it over time, or was it some you did that made you this way?

I was born hearing and have slowly lost my hearing due to genetical reasons. My father's family have some members who have loss.
I'm currently in severe to profound range. ( 87 db in my left ear, 93 db in my right ear )

Born HOH but funny thing I was told by my mom that I was supposed to be more deaf then my cousin does. Boy she was wrong. :D

I was born hearing, went deaf from meningitis when I was 9

katefields said:
Lucia,

Both your ears? How old were you?

Yes, both my ears. The docs thought my frequent crying was due to my stomach not agreeing with the formulas and the breastmilk. They realized I couldn't hear when I was a year old.

Back