House committee charges Rangel with multiple ethical violations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. It's sad how slow the wheel turns. But I'm guessing somebody is trying to get Rangel out of the picture before the November election. Lots of red meat there.
I hope it doesn't work. They deserve to have this rubbed in their faces for allowing this to continue while selling themselves as the most ethical congress ever.

When Republicans allow or participate in corruption, screw them. When Democrats come into office and do the same, screw them.

Corruption? Better wait to see what those "unidentified ethical violations" involve, don't you think?:giggle:

November election = nothing

He's just paranoid about November election, that all.

An update...
Ethics panel brings 13 counts against embattled Rep. Rangel
By Susan Crabtree and Jordan Fabian - 07/29/10 09:11 PM ET

A House ethics committee on Thursday brought 13 charges against Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) as efforts to reach a settlement failed.

Rangel, who did not attend the hour-long meeting, fired back in a 32-page statement, claiming that ethics investigators overstepped their jurisdiction and trampled on his Constitutional rights.

After a weeklong media frenzy, Rangel’s peers somberly announced serious charges against Rangel, a veteran of 20 House terms who was forced to give up the chairmanship of the tax-writing Ways and Means panel earlier this year.

“I think it’s safe to say that none of us enjoyed this assignment — no one wants to investigate their peers,” Rep. Gene Green (D-Texas), who led the investigating panel that reported the charges, said before reciting the allegations against Rangel.

“This is truly a sad day when no one — regardless of their partisan stripes — should rejoice,” said Rep. Jo Bonner (R-Ala.), the ranking member of the investigative subcommittee and the full ethics panel.

Rangel is accused of improperly using his office to solicit donations for a school of public policy in his name at the City College of New York (CCNY); of using a rent-stabilized apartment in Harlem for his campaign office; of failing to report more than $600,000 on his financial disclosure report; and of failing to pay taxes on rental income from a villa he owns in the Dominican Republic.

Ethics panel brings 13 counts against embattled Rep. Rangel - TheHill.com

I have to disagree with the gentleman from Alabama. I've been reading about Rangel's corruption for a few years now and I have a habit of rejoicing when corruptocrats get their comeuppance.

Also, he doesn't have one rent-stabilized apartment as the article suggests. He has four. And a rent-stabilized apartment is supposed to be a primary residence but he claimed his home in DC as his primary residence for tax purposes.

Time to clean out the swamp.

An update...

I have to disagree with the gentleman from Alabama. I've been reading about Rangel's corruption for a few years now and I have a habit of rejoicing when corruptocrats get their comeuppance.

Also, he doesn't have one rent-stabilized apartment as the article suggests. He has four. And a rent-stabilized apartment is supposed to be a primary residence but he claimed his home in DC as his primary residence for tax purposes.

Thanks for the update. A bit more info than we had before, but still in need of quite a bit more.

An update...

That'd be:

Hey, Nancy. When are you going to "Drain the swamp"? And have the most ethical Congress evah?

I guess I should cancel my rejoicing over a corrupt man getting his comeuppance. Apparently, all he gets for this is a reprimand. That's right- the guy who was in charge of writing the tax code can cheat on his taxes, among a gazillion other things, and gets the same punishment as Joe Wilson got for yelling "You lie!" I want to see this guy expelled and put on trial just as I would be if I did a tenth of what's alleged against him.

House investigators back Rangel reprimand - CNN.com

I guess I should cancel my rejoicing over a corrupt man getting his comeuppance. Apparently, all he gets for this is a reprimand. That's right- the guy who was in charge of writing the tax code can cheat on his taxes, among a gazillion other things, and gets the same punishment as Joe Wilson got for yelling "You lie!" I want to see this guy expelled and put on trial just as I would be if I did a tenth of what's alleged against him.

What the heck is a reprimand? How can this possibly deter anyone? Even if the election for his seat was next week, voters have become so jaded to all the negative campaigns that it might not matter. Once Marion Barry was re-elected mayor, I realized anything is possible. Maybe they all are looking for leniency if they do a boo boo. "Remember when I voted for your reprimand?"

An update...
I've been reading about Rangel's corruption for a few years now and I have a habit of rejoicing when corruptocrats get their comeuppance.

Wow, funny I never heard of him til just now.

Maxine Waters is in the mix, too.

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) has chosen to go through an ethics trial, like the one lined up for New York Rep. Charles Rangel, rather than accepting charges made by an ethics subcommittee, a source familiar with the process tells POLITICO.

The back-to-back trials of a pair of black lawmakers represent an unprecedented use of an ethics adjudication system that has rarely been used by House members accused of breaking House rules.

Waters' case revolves around allegations that she improperly intervened with federal regulators to help a bank that her husband owned stock in and on whose board he once served.

Waters chooses ethics trial - Jonathan Allen - POLITICO.com

And I think Obama just gave Rangel the "Kiss of death."

President Barack Obama has kept mum on the fate of Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY) for days -- but he tells CBS News that it's time for the embattled 80-year-old former Ways and Means Chairman to end his career "with dignity."
Obama: Time for Rangel to end career "with dignity" - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

Remember this scene from The Godfather, Corleone giving the "Kiss of death"?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcFlp6kl508&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Godfather II: You broke my heart Fredo[/ame]

I'm not saying what he did is okay, or that he shouldn't be booted from congress (because he should), but these allegations are fairly small fry, and definitely things that other people in congress, dems and republicans alike, are doing on a widespread basis. Someone just had it in for him and exposed him. You can bet there are plenty more waiting in the wings.

But, he didn't lie to the country and start an illegal war. He didn't cheat on his wife and lie about it under oath. He didn't sexually proposition a federal agent in an airport bathroom. And so on.

Just saying...

If Nancy is serious about "draining the swamp" and have the most "ethical Congress ever" then she should look at both parties and get the job done. Instead, she went at lengths to protect Rangel.

Just saying...

If Nancy is serious about "draining the swamp" and have the most "ethical Congress ever" then she should look at both parties and get the job done. Instead, she went at lengths to protect Rangel.

Just saying...

Lol, you think I like Nancy Pelosi? :laugh2:

Just saying...
Not any different from you protecting the "Conservative" brand whenever possible. We all know she is a nut. Why take her seriously? I surely don't. Too bad she gets paid to speak.

It's too bad she's the Speaker of the House, 3rd in line.

It's too bad she's the Speaker of the House, 3rd in line.
A terrifying thought. Makes me appreciate Obama a bit more. Better double the Secret Service protection he has.

It's not that. It's Biden. He has had two aneuryisms in the past. If he drops, Nancy's 2nd in line.

It's not that. It's Biden. He has had two aneuryisms in the past. If he drops, Nancy's 2nd in line.

negwv5.jpg

What? Did you not know he had two aneuryisms in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back