home theater projector

jeliss

Reaction score
I like to know about home theater projector If i would buy new one next Summer or Fall and I work on my house's theater room soon.. Do you known any theater projctors have closed caption?? I hope I hear from you..

I suggest you check at a local electronics store and ask them. Try Circuit City or Best Buy. :)

I am into Home Theatre stuffs myself and I haven't seen a projector with closed caption built in.

But I built an HTPC (Home Theatre Personal Computer) and my HTPC does decode closed caption before sending it out thur video out to LCD or TV or Projector so you probably will need something like this if you want to watch live tv on projector or find a VCR and use it as tuner source with closed caption decode hooked to it.

Another way is to play subtitles on DVD but I know they are not always so good and I don't like DVD subtitles either that why I build an HTPC so I can watch DVD or Live TV etc all with closed caption.

I am into Home Theatre stuffs myself and I haven't seen a projector with closed caption built in.

But I built an HTPC (Home Theatre Personal Computer) and my HTPC does decode closed caption before sending it out thur video out to LCD or TV or Projector so you probably will need something like this if you want to watch live tv on projector or find a VCR and use it as tuner source with closed caption decode hooked to it.

Another way is to play subtitles on DVD but I know they are not always so good and I don't like DVD subtitles either that why I build an HTPC so I can watch DVD or Live TV etc all with closed caption.

Yes, I don't believe there is a projector that is equipped with the CC decoder at all. Better to use a computer using a DVD playback software with CC support if you ask me rather than using a DVD player because most of these players don't have CC decoders built in.

In fact, I do own a projector. A 1080p projector from Epson, which I must say is pretty good. I use it to watch movies on Blu-ray Disc. There is nothing like watching a movie on a screen more than 100 inches wide. Quite cinematic and much better than being at the theatre.

Banjo, do you have a link or photo of your projector? Also, how old is it? I've thought about getting something like this, 'ya know, during the summer months, watching a movie outdoors in the evenings when it's cooler would definitely top off any great summer night! ;)

~RR

Banjo, do you have a link or photo of your projector? Also, how old is it? I've thought about getting something like this, 'ya know, during the summer months, watching a movie outdoors in the evenings when it's cooler would definitely top off any great summer night! ;)

~RR

It's relatively new, but they just released a new model on the market. It's pretty much the same, only with some little changes like more HDMI ports and such.

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

This one can be bought for less at some online stores. Also, some stores will offer a rebate, free lamp replacement and such.

hmmmmm Now I understand that.... thanks for your information.. What about Closed Caption decoder??

hmmmmm Now I understand that.... thanks for your information.. What about Closed Caption decoder??
A closed caption decoder should work.

Since the projector is a visual output device, it would need a decoder in it. Televisions have decoder already included. If the television or projector doesn't have a decoder in it, then you need to hook up an external decoder before it.

television with decoder included:
cable to VCR to television

television without decoder included:
cable to VCR to decoder to television

CC Decoder should work if it got a video composite out and the projector accept composite video in.

Almost all good brand projector do have composite video in plug on it.

(Composite video cable have yellow RCA jack on it and goes into a yellow RCA plug)

But composite won't give you high def, no?

Just component or HDMI, neither of which are caption friendly.

YOu can use either pc or laptop and USB or PCI tv tuner and plug it to Home Theater projector. You should be able to use CC in since USB or PCI TV tuner usually have CC built in. Not ALL brands of TV tuner have CC built in. I have ATI graphic card w/ TV tuner. It did have CC built in so I watched TV on my monitor while I surf the net... So same apply with projector.

There are new HDTV USB or PCI tv tuner and I can't promise that it'll have CC decoder built in.

Catty

Projectors don't come with CC decoders built-in. That's why I suggested using a PC or Mac to hook it up via DVI, HDMI or VGA and such since you can use a DVD playback software with CC support.

Back