Holy moley Guacamole !!!

I followed the advice from my contractor. He did not advise me to pinch any leaves off or to graft at all. We've been to his place and he has 10 trees on his property. His wife says they all were grown the way he told me to do it. All of his trees bear fruit and he shares with the neighborhood as he has the space to have the trees and none of his neighbors do.

How long did it take them to produce fruit?

That I don't know, but I will ask him tomorrow when I see him again.

:ty:

The reason I ask, is because I have been reading (and others have told me) that an ungrafted tree takes up to 15 years to produce fruit. I don't know if that is true.

I also know, that you can graft just about any fruit producing branch on to a fruit producing tree and grow a variety of fruit from just one tree.

In other words, you can have a cherry, apple, peach avocado tree.

The reason I ask, is because I have been reading (and others have told me) that an ungrafted tree takes up to 15 years to produce fruit. I don't know if that is true.

I also know, that you can graft just about any fruit producing branch on to a fruit producing tree and grow a variety of fruit from just one tree.

Years ago, I was reading about this ole guy in Colorado in my Mother Earth News mag who had this one apple tree with something like 9 varieties of apples, some of which hadn't been seen since colonial days. Of course, a tree like that requires extra care because of the bugs, etc

No, I can't even get the seeds to sprout. Maybe all my seeds are duds. Or maybe i should change the water more often.

Is it possible that your seeds were made to be duds on purpose via irradiation? That way, you can't grow your own avocados and have to get the real plants from someone else.

Okay - spoke with contractor about this. What he says is, when it gets taller (and he will keep an eye on mine) it needs to be trimmed and cut back so the trunk will get larger or something like that. He will show me what to do. He is also taking hubby and I out to see his trees next week. Then he said it will take about 4-8 years for it to get full size and bare fruit.

Neighbor across the street told me how she did hers. She plants 2 seeds together in the same hole.. She will start them in water until the first roots begin and are about 4 inches long. Then, she puts them into one pot together until they each have a stem of about 3-5 inches, then they get transplanted with all the soil in the pot into the ground. She has 4 trees in her yard and they are basically in 2 spots. The 2 seeds basically entwine themselves together and pollinate themselves.

Contractor has stated that they don't need the pollination to bare fruit.

Okay - spoke with contractor about this. What he says is, when it gets taller (and he will keep an eye on mine) it needs to be trimmed and cut back so the trunk will get larger or something like that. He will show me what to do. He is also taking hubby and I out to see his trees next week. Then he said it will take about 4-8 years for it to get full size and bare fruit.

Neighbor across the street told me how she did hers. She plants 2 seeds together in the same hole.. She will start them in water until the first roots begin and are about 4 inches long. Then, she puts them into one pot together until they each have a stem of about 3-5 inches, then they get transplanted with all the soil in the pot into the ground. She has 4 trees in her yard and they are basically in 2 spots. The 2 seeds basically entwine themselves together and pollinate themselves.

Contractor has stated that they don't need the pollination to bare fruit.

That makes sense to plant two seeds together. Cross pollination needs to happen for rich fruit.

The biggest pit I have setting in water was from an overly ripe avacado. It started to sprout roots inside the fruit already when I removed it.

Now, it has completely cracked and split:

GEDC0857.jpg

and you can see the stem starting to develop inside:

GEDC0859.jpg

Where do they go from here? A pot?

I think they sprout legs and walk away :giggle:

j/k

Yes, they get transplanted to a larger (my preference) clay pot. But first the stem has to grow and two leaves sprout. Then, those two leaves need to be cut back, and after two more sprout - then they get transplanted.

From what I have been reading, they can remain indoors for 3 years and you can trim them much the same way you would a bonsai tree:

Bonsai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I love this time of the year. Avocados are cheap and at the perfect nutty/buttery state. I buy at least 2 each time I go to the store. Can eat plain, as a sandwich, salads, Mexican Foods, etc.

Good luck with your Avocado growing!

Back