Holy moley Guacamole !!!

Steinhauer

Reaction score
So, this is what I did today after making a guacamole dip:

Guacomole.jpg

Pretty soon (well .... not that soon) I will have a guacamole forest in my back yard :)

here is a good video explaining what I am doing:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zrIuyliJQ0&feature=share]Avocado Diva - How To Grow an Avocado Tree - YouTube[/ame]

and a time lapsed video of what happens:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08-qJwyJ8hk&feature=related]Avocado growing very very very fast! - YouTube[/ame]

Did this when I was a kid all the time. My mom makes really good guac

Is Guacamole Healthy? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Yeah, I don't get the store bought stuff (guacamole dip) It hardly ever has any real avacados in store bought guacamole dip.

I go to the store and find smooshy avocados (but not too smooshy), take them home, cut them in halves and scoop them out. Some people say to peel them :confused: but all you need is a spoon and scoop them out. If you get hard avocados, you can't mash it up really good.

Mash it up really really good and add salsa and some sea salt (I rarely add salt) or lemon juice.

i grew some of them in texas with the toothpicks. they are not easy to take care because of temperature. (avoided burned down or heat wave) i saw 4 of them are successes are planted by poolside with tree shades.

Already done this. My tree was just planted in the yard 3 weeks ago. Don't really have the room for more and my mother & I are the only ones that like them.

Already done this. My tree was just planted in the yard 3 weeks ago. Don't really have the room for more and my mother & I are the only ones that like them.

I have never been able to do this. My seeds always just rot and die. I couldn't plant it outside ever, anyway, but I do have a decent sunroom that I think could support a small tree. But since I keep killing the seeds, I guess I will never know.

I have never been able to do this. My seeds always just rot and die. I couldn't plant it outside ever, anyway, but I do have a decent sunroom that I think could support a small tree. But since I keep killing the seeds, I guess I will never know.

are you over watering them?

So, this is what I did today after making a guacamole dip:

Guacomole.jpg

Pretty soon (well .... not that soon) I will have a guacamole forest in my back yard :)

here is a good video explaining what I am doing:

Avocado Diva - How To Grow an Avocado Tree - YouTube

and a time lapsed video of what happens:

Avocado growing very very very fast! - YouTube

I wish I could grow avocados where I live , what state do you live in? I live in Massachusetts. It too cold here for avocado trees.

No, I can't even get the seeds to sprout. Maybe all my seeds are duds. Or maybe i should change the water more often.

I heard you have to change the water once a week and to never let it get cloudy.

I wish I could grow avocados where I live , what state do you live in? I live in Massachusetts. It too cold here for avocado trees.

I live in zone 7 (Georgia). Avocados can grow in zone 9.

Just double checked - yes, it will grow here - but frost can kill it if outdoors.

I also did not leave mine in the water until the top opened. I just left it until I had roots in the bottom, then put it in a small pot, then after I had the seedling with 2 layers of leaves, I planted it into the ground. After 3 weeks in the ground, it is now about 18 inches tall and growing like crazy. Being in Florida, we have a lot of them here.

I also did not leave mine in the water until the top opened. I just left it until I had roots in the bottom, then put it in a small pot, then after I had the seedling with 2 layers of leaves, I planted it into the ground. After 3 weeks in the ground, it is now about 18 inches tall and growing like crazy. Being in Florida, we have a lot of them here.

Did you pinch the first two leaves off? I read an article claiming that was very important.

Then, if you want it to produce fruit, you have to graft it.

Did you pinch the first two leaves off? I read an article claiming that was very important.

Then, if you want it to produce fruit, you have to graft it.

I followed the advice from my contractor. He did not advise me to pinch any leaves off or to graft at all. We've been to his place and he has 10 trees on his property. His wife says they all were grown the way he told me to do it. All of his trees bear fruit and he shares with the neighborhood as he has the space to have the trees and none of his neighbors do.

Back