High School Student Disarms Gunman… Gets Suspended?

Are you saying that school issues has nothing to do with government? That is what Jiro challenged about.

During '50s and earlier, if student gets caught with guns what does school principal do? They decide what disciplines to take and go from there. Not anymore, if gun is found they are required to report to government agencies and let them take over. That is how this student got suspended just because they (School) are required to surrender to government and let them decide, that is called government controls and is it really necessary?

The school have to follow the state law and federal law that set by government (legislators, governors) to receive the funding.

Yes, the school handle with gun issues are getting stricter now due to gun control legislation, in here, if you do bring gun illegally into school and they will report to state/federal authorities for investigation, required by law. The school don't have to suspend the students who did saved the life but only issue is school authorities decided to do it for some reason.

Bingo! What do you call them? Not government control? Is that true? Or false?

Since you mentioned required by law, who made the law? Its no brainer and I am not sure where Jiro don't understand. (Refer to his post #10 of this thread)

The school have to follow the state law and federal law that set by government (legislators, governors) to receive the funding.

Yes, the school handle with gun issues are getting stricter now due to gun control legislation, in here, if you do bring gun illegally into school and they will report to state/federal authorities for investigation, required by law. The school don't have to suspend the students who did saved the life but only issue is school authorities decided to do it for some reason.

Wirelessly posted

You live in J-ville. I bet their is a gun at the schools there everyday. Anyways this happened on the bus. Not in class. So now that is a whole nother ballgame. Security is needed on buses. Doubt we will see it since we will experience several cuts in federal and state fundings.

That's true..and have always thought/suggested busses having monitors...still the student had to have that gun stashed somewhere....so far this year, we've had no gun incidents at my son's HS...*knocking on wood*....but at the near end of the school year...many fights....

Bingo! What do you call them? Not government control? Is that true? Or false?

Since you mentioned required by law, who made the law? Its no brainer and I am not sure where Jiro don't understand. (Refer to his post #10 of this thread)

That's true about set the laws for school is part of government control.

Your question: Who made the law? the government (legislators, governors).

The school have option to drop out of state/federal funding by relies on local taxpayers (property tax, sale tax). The federal does allow school to not take their funding and not have to follow their rules, BUT some states may not allow school to drop out of state control (big surprise, some states don't allow school to drop out of federal funding too), for example, state takeover of city school.

State who? That's called government right? Or am I wrong?

The government, of course.

State of Alabama (the government) takeover the control of Birmingham City School last year because failed to met state/federal requirement.

Early 70's is the last years school can spank kids, not anymore... whose idea was that? Of course, I was spanked at school, and it stopped around 1974 due to federal law outlaw spanking... that's government involvement.

And documentary are based on FACT and REALITIES as well.

You might want to check those "facts and realities"......some schools still spank kids today. There is even a thread about it.

The problem with our government is that they wanted "One size fits all". It is NOT going to work period and this leads to unwanted consequences, like this poor student who tried to save somebody life, but because the law made school let government take over so that they can fix the problem, but actually worsen the problem already.

Now, remember education is very very powerful tool any mankind have. Suspending student for saving one's life sends WRONG message to other students around that student. It is like, don't get involved or you getting punished mentality. Same with what happened in NYC where yellow cab driver rammed in burglary who attempt steal from somebody else, that poor yellow driver ended up spend few years behind bar, what kind of message is our government sending out? And at the same time, government made attempt control on firearms, what does this tells you? This is something our fore father (That guy on our dollar bill) have always been scared of!

I am not against having government. I am against government trying to get away and get above the law. We DO need government, but we have to be careful not to let government sees opportunity to seize "tyranny state".

I worn school uniform when I was in middle school in late 90's, so it is pretty local decision (the school principal), however state may allow or disallow the school to adopt the policy.

Most schools here require school uniforms due to gang activity.

Most schools here require school uniforms due to gang activity.

Yes, that's common in Texas, Louisiana, Florida (not in Panhandle like Destin, Panama City) and South Alabama (Mobile, Baldwin) - many schools require uniform.

The problem with our government is that they wanted "One size fits all". It is NOT going to work period and this leads to unwanted consequences, like this poor student who tried to save somebody life, but because the law made school let government take over so that they can fix the problem, but actually worsen the problem already.

Now, remember education is very very powerful tool any mankind have. Suspending student for saving one's life sends WRONG message to other students around that student. It is like, don't get involved or you getting punished mentality. Same with what happened in NYC where yellow cab driver rammed in burglary who attempt steal from somebody else, that poor yellow driver ended up spend few years behind bar, what kind of message is our government sending out? And at the same time, government made attempt control on firearms, what does this tells you? This is something our fore father (That guy on our dollar bill) have always been scared of!

the problem is... you are misguided and deeply confused. documentaries based on facts and realities? oh my...... not this film!

a quick google check stated that Lean On Me is LOOSELY based on the story of Joe Louis Clark... which means a lot of this story is fictionalized and exaggerated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_on_Me_(film)
Lean on Me is a 1989 dramatized biographical film written by Michael Schiffer, directed by John G. Avildsen and starring Morgan Freeman. Lean on Me is loosely based on the story of Joe Louis Clark, a real life inner city high school principal in Paterson, New Jersey, whose school is at risk of being taken over by the New Jersey state government unless students improve their test scores.

and..... this - http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...eIrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RGQFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1005,4947328

why suspended when doing the right thing morally

the student is taught in school and the school handbook does mention that all over the us. im sure lawyers are on feeding frenzy to grab this case to deny students of education for doing one of few thing in the student handbook.

Exactly my point!

why suspended when doing the right thing morally

the student is taught in school and the school handbook does mention that all over the us. im sure lawyers are on feeding frenzy to grab this case to deny students of education for doing one of few thing in the student handbook.

Back