High School Student Disarms Gunman… Gets Suspended?

Still revelant because, anytime when school wants to change policy, it HAS to be approved by the board and who runs the board?

This is something you seems don't understand how school runs. I won't be surprise if one of ADers works for school would say the same thing.

the boards are elected by the locals....

you'll have to explain what do you mean by "the government"? exactly who? the municipal level? the county? the state? federal? all of above?

Are you saying that Local, State, and federal government don't have any laws on their books when it comes to school policy?

the boards are elected by the locals....

you'll have to explain what do you mean by "the government"? exactly who? the municipal level? the county? the state? federal? all of above?

Finally, applies to all 50 states, whenever school discovers firearms, what steps does school require to take? Isn't calling cop one of them?

yes. private schools are required to do that too.

oh wait... you prefer private security to take care of it? and private prison? and private court? :roll:

Are you saying that Local, State, and federal government don't have any laws on their books when it comes to school policy?

since when wearing a school uniform is the local-state-federal law :lol:

No, there was minimal government involvement with school 60's and earlier. During early 70's too many closed minded parents complaining that school were not "Protecting" their kids and not doing anything... Then government decided that it is THEIR responsibility (Major mistake) to take over and fix the problems where it actually worsen over time. That is why I suggest you watch "Lean on me", that is HOW government got involved because school were not able to upkeep the standards.

I am not going to respond any of your nonsense responses UNTIL you done watch the movie "Lean on me"
yes. private schools are required to do that too.

oh wait... you prefer private security to take care of it? and private prison? and private court? :roll:

Oh are you saying that there is no control, no regulations, no nothing from government for school operations? Where do you think they (School) get money from?, and if they get money from somebody.... without strings attached? I don't think so!

Had you watch the movie called "Lean on me"? If not, watch then tell me what happened in the middle of the movie (I mean who got involved into)?

Why we have school district board? If I remember clearly, during early 70's government decided to take over school and create school district boards, creates plenty of policies for them. For example no school is allowed to have students on third floor or higher, did you realize that it is government that decides ban on 3rd floor and higher? School has no control over this.

Suggest you watch movie called "Lean on me" and you will see what I am talking about.

Why do you think private school is often better than public schools?

Im not going to argue with you, I am old enough to see it. Im from 60's and I see from good to worse already .

And you may not know this, RIT is private school, and their police is now run and operated by Monroe county sheriff... Surprised? nah!

Another perfect example, Gallaudet University, Ms Sach got busted with weeds, who took the case?

it appears that you are being brainwashed. I see that lot of your anti-government sentimentalism is heavily influenced by movies and you've made many mentions "you should watch...."

very concerning....

you do realize that you are being told through power of suggestion & influence that "government & public service are evil. corporations and private businesses are good." you are already veering into extreme anti-government.

Michael Moore started a trend where it's actually powerful and profitable to influence a sizable number of people thru a grassroots-like films.

Lean On Me is not even accurate. it's "loosely" based on some boy in Paterson, NJ and it's directed by John Avildsen who made Karate Kid and Rocky movies. His job is to make a movie "wwwooooowwww I'm inspired!" by any means.

No, there was minimal government involvement with school 60's and earlier. During early 70's too many closed minded parents complaining that school were not "Protecting" their kids and not doing anything... Then government decided that it is THEIR responsibility (Major mistake) to take over and fix the problems where it actually worsen over time. That is why I suggest you watch "Lean on me", that is HOW government got involved because school were not able to upkeep the standards.

I am not going to respond any of your nonsense responses UNTIL you done watch the movie "Lean on me"

it's the people who are not doing their job.... not the government.... sure that we can blame the government but how about parents?

I've already see Lean on Me, Waiting for Superman, The Lottery, etc. and my opinion? *shrug* I take it with a tiny grain of salt. You are completely missing the whole picture. it's not a wonder that your argument is lacking a strong validity and it's not holding up very well.

are you seriously asking me to watch some.... movies directed by movie directors..... rather than hearing it from real people like

http://www.ted.com/talks/cameron_herold_let_s_raise_kids_to_be_entrepreneurs.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/kiran_bir_sethi_teaches_kids_to_take_charge.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/charles_leadbeater_on_education.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/gever_tulley_s_tinkering_school_in_action.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/emily_pilloton_teaching_design_for_change.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/diana_laufenberg_3_ways_to_teach.html

seriously??? movie directors over real passionate people? mein gott!!!!! :lol:

Seems to me...simply...there has to be an investigation. All parties involved in this incident are suspended, even jailed.... until it is all cleared up...witnesses questioned as to what happened, etc....

It will all be settled in a court of law....in front of a Judge.

since when wearing a school uniform is the local-state-federal law :lol:

I worn school uniform when I was in middle school in late 90's, so it is pretty local decision (the school principal), however state may allow or disallow the school to adopt the policy.

Precisely fits descriptions on government involvement. I have seen too many over-reactions and I see majority of them really not necessary and costing taxpayers moola. Sad!

Seems to me...simply...there has to be an investigation. All parties involved in this incident are suspended, even jailed.... until it is all cleared up...witnesses questioned as to what happened, etc....

It will all be settled in a court of law....in front of a Judge.

Why we have school district board? If I remember clearly, during early 70's government decided to take over school and create school district boards, creates plenty of policies for them. For example no school is allowed to have students on third floor or higher, did you realize that it is government that decides ban on 3rd floor and higher? School has no control over this.

Suggest you watch movie called "Lean on me" and you will see what I am talking about.

The school board districts have been around for many years and it does improve the democracy to take control of school district, especially parent - like Jiro said. Many schools do receive a federal funding but they have to follow the rules, usually minimum, allowed by federal, however having armed security officers are allowed for security protection. Most of schools are strongly influenced from state government and small influence by federal.

When you debate with Jiro, I'm suggest you to not use film and TV documentaries as source because he is only interested to debate based on reality, not film directors.

School district has changed during 70's in attempt to improve some of small problems that had been there 70's and earlier, the result is much worse than it was before. Early 70's is the last years school can spank kids, not anymore... whose idea was that? Of course, I was spanked at school, and it stopped around 1974 due to federal law outlaw spanking... that's government involvement.

And documentary are based on FACT and REALITIES as well.

The school board districts have been around for many years and it does improve the democracy to take control of school district, especially parent - like Jiro said. Many schools do receive a federal funding but they have to follow the rules, usually minimum, allowed by federal, however having armed security officers are allowed for security protection. Most of schools are strongly influenced from state government and small influence by federal.

When you debate with Jiro, I'm suggest you to not use film and TV documentaries as source because he is only interested to debate based on reality, not film directors.

School district has changed during 70's in attempt to improve some of small problems that had been there 70's and earlier, the result is much worse than it was before. Early 70's is the last years school can spank kids, not anymore... whose idea was that? Of course, I was spanked at school, and it stopped around 1974 due to federal law outlaw spanking... that's government involvement.

And documentary are based on FACT and REALITIES as well.

That's incorrect about spanking is banned by FEDERAL law, BUT it is banned by STATE LAW.

New York banned spanking in state law BUT Alabama allow spanking in state law.
School corporal punishment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Due to reasons, I don't believe in corporal punishment - based on my belief. The children's behavior problem isn't related to no spanking environment and my sister had been spanked so many times, but it didn't work for her.

The TV documentaries and films are mostly reenactment and controlled by studio directors, also there are some misconception, that why Jiro isn't interested to take your argument based on TV and film. You have to find the source that support your argument from research or studies in the real life or go back out of argument.

Are you saying that school issues has nothing to do with government? That is what Jiro challenged about.

During '50s and earlier, if student gets caught with guns what does school principal do? They decide what disciplines to take and go from there. Not anymore, if gun is found they are required to report to government agencies and let them take over. That is how this student got suspended just because they (School) are required to surrender to government and let them decide, that is called government controls and is it really necessary?

And he forgot that I am old enough to remember the major changes in school system during 70's and at first I don't understand why, and what all these changes made. I was told by school that state is making changes in policy in hope to get several small issues resolved, only to worsen over time.

That's incorrect about spanking is banned by FEDERAL law, BUT it is banned by STATE LAW.

New York banned spanking in state law BUT Alabama allow spanking in state law.
School corporal punishment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Due to reasons, I don't believe in corporal punishment - based on my belief. The children's behavior problem isn't related to no spanking environment and my sister had been spanked so many times, but it didn't work for her.

The TV documentaries and films are mostly reenactment and controlled by studio directors, also there are some misconception, that why Jiro isn't interested to take your argument based on TV and film. You have to find the source that support your argument from research or studies in the real life or go back out of argument.

Wirelessly posted

rockin'robin said:
Am hoping it's not because this kid with the gun was on the "football team"..and the story stated that several other incidents such as this have happened at that school...and the video camera was "not working".....:hmm:....

I'd raise hell too....if my son was suspended for doing the right thing...then again...he could have been shot for it.....

Really crazy that the gun was not detected by security!....After all, with the other gun incidents happening at that school...I would take my son out of that school!...Pronto!....

You live in J-ville. I bet their is a gun at the schools there everyday. Anyways this happened on the bus. Not in class. So now that is a whole nother ballgame. Security is needed on buses. Doubt we will see it since we will experience several cuts in federal and state fundings.

Eh, yeah government involvement is costing taxpayers money and they halfa to make cuts. eh eh eh

Wirelessly posted
Doubt we will see it since we will experience several cuts in federal and state fundings.

Back