Hi, proud mom of a HoH child

fiddler

Reaction score
I have two girls, my oldest (10 yr old) is hoh. She is moderate/severe hearing loss. She reads lips and wears hearing aids at school. At home she reads lips and some sign. She hates her hearing aids. I got tired of yelling at her to wear the things and we made an agreement that she would wear them at school but not at home. Last Weds she lost them on the school bus and we still havent found them. We are keeping our fingers crossed, mine that they're found, hers that they're not found.:lol:

Does anyone know of a forum set up for deaf/hoh children. I think it would be good for my daughter to talk with other children who are HoH.

14kv5oy.jpg

Welcome to AllDeaf! :)

I don't know any of the forum that is set up for deaf/hoh children. Hopefully someone can help you out.

I have two girls, my oldest (10 yr old) is hoh. She is moderate/severe hearing loss. She reads lips and wears hearing aids at school. At home she reads lips and some sign. She hates her hearing aids. I got tired of yelling at her to wear the things and we made an agreement that she would wear them at school but not at home. Last Weds she lost them on the school bus and we still havent found them. We are keeping our fingers crossed, mine that they're found, hers that they're not found.:lol:

Does anyone know of a forum set up for deaf/hoh children. I think it would be good for my daughter to talk with other children who are HoH.

What kind of school does she attend?

Seem like she recently got hearing aids. I hope you find her hearing aids and she get used to them. Good luck

This is why I think that there should be a forum especially for dhh kids and teens here . There is one out there, but it's a) affliated with a site that isn't exactly openminded. and b) It's pretty much DEAD. Also most of the focus there is on CIs. Very little HA stuff.
What type of educational program is your daughter in? I have a moderately severe loss too, and I know that many hoh kids tend to be pushed towards mainstreaming to the max. Like they get minimal accomondations, and regular school, regular classes. Maybe a good idea might be to find an educational program in your area, that specificly serves dhh kids. I remember being ten years old, (almost 20 years ago eeeeekkkkk!!!!) and HATING my hearing aids. I thought I was the only kid in the universe to have to wear HAs.
Educational exposure to other kids like me might have helped. Also, if your child starts doing not so well academicly (which is common in the later school years), she'll have a safety net or tools that will help her really suceed, instead of just paddling along "getting along" acadmeicly and socially.

I know how your daughter feels about the aids thing and what deafdyke said about being pushed to mainstream with the reg classes etc etc I had to go through that tell her she needs them which im sure you have butshe does need em I wore em at school but not at home then when I started working I didnt wear them at all until recently about a month ago I was proud to be hoh and didnt mind what people said I wear them all the time now, hehe ive lost one of them though but i wear the other one proudly

Hail deaf!!! jk but yeah maybe you should get her in touch with some people on here that can tell her how it is wearing hearing aids someone she can connect with you know....my fingers hurt, hope this helps abiteven though its hard for me to type what im feeling sometimes and the words jumble up a bit.

good luck and welcome to all deaf

I am a HOH mom with 2 HOH daughters (and 2 kids with selective hearing, LOL!). Welcome! I don't know of a forum specifically for D/HOH kids but I am involved with a parent support group called Hands & Voices. There are state chapters that might be able to put you in touch with others in your area. The thing I like about H&V is that they support whatever the choices a parent makes for their D/HOH child, regardless of communication mode, implant or not. etc.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

Back