HI Im New Here!!!!!

JacquelineMarie

Reaction score
:wave: Hey all, I'm very very new here...i wanted to join a while ago but i was to scared.....lol i know might sound stupid but....Idont know i always had normal hearing i was born with it and always had good hearing...but for some reason in the beginning of 2008...i was stressed and always depressed and pluse i started birth control pills (which i only took for four months and dont take them no more) in May 2008....thats when i stopped the pills...i ended up with this weird back ache couldnt move i went to the hosptial and found nothing wrong with me....the following weekend i felt pressure at the bottom of my jaw...i thought i was just getting a ear infection or sinus infection...so my ear got clogge my left ear only at the time...went to the doctor and told me i had a double inner ear infection my left was worse than my right...i was dizzy for a couple of dayz throwing up...and had ringing in my left ear....i was in bed for a week didnt feel better until i went to the hospital and put me on IV and inflammitoray medz i also had pink eye really bad in my left eye....so after this i thought you know just like any normal ear infection i thought my hearing would come back i was hearing fine with the right ear then all of a sudden my right ear went on me..i dont know why i was on medications and all...its not like i didnt have care i did. i went to three doctors two didnt know what happened and the one doctor thought it was from a virus or something...but he doesnt know what happened i took a hearing test also my hearing would come and go like if the ringing got louder i would hear good....so for three months i was like not hearing at all very little and if i got stressed out my hearing would be worse if i was calm my hearing would be good. I dont know this never happened to me before a very freaky thing so i went for MRI and blood test on every single thing that would cause hearing loss and everything came back negative and the doctor said i should be hearing. But i was so depressed for three months from not being able to hear good so in August i got hearing aids the seimens BTE SP. When i started using them my left ear started to come back normal and then when i got stressed again (didnt help from the relationship i was in) my hearing would be bad.....MY aunt a long time ago had the same problem like me she lost her hearing she said it would come and go and had she lost her hearing for a full year and now shes hearing normal with no aids....i dont know know doctors said the way my test came back i should be hearing.....but the ringing had gotten alot better i dont really hear it anymore....but my hearing still flucuates....I dont know im actually going to get my hearing aids adjusted i only got them adjusted twice scince august i hear like scratch/ruff out of them im still new with these things...they dont bother me but...what can i do really? im sorry if i liked wrote a book here i just dont understand what happended to me....maybe somebody would have an idea or maybe an opionion i dont know.....i just figured i would explain what happened.

JacquelineMarie

Compressed.

Perhaps you don't need to explain what happened to you. All you need to do is

"Don't let the game get to you."

Meaning, whatever happens, just move on, you'll find out things gradually in time. Beside this could mean a second chance in your lifetime, where you are given a fresh start.

Jacqueline,

Welcome to AD! :)

I know exactly how you feel about experiencing fluctuating hearing loss. I grew up with progressive hearing loss (diagnosed as mild at age 3, then severe-profound by age 24) and I always had trouble with my hearing changing from day to day even though I wore hearing aids. When my hearing reached the severe-profound range, my ENT gave me Prednisone in the hopes of restoring my hearing. However, I refused to take it due to the possible side effects of mood swings and depression.

Try not to get depressed over your fluctuating hearing. There is life after hearing loss. Just take things one day at a time and you'll be fine. :)

perhaps your right! im very happy now but i always gets my ups and downs but im just trying to think positive and for the better ya know..

what do you mean theres life after hearing loss? im sorry i dont know...lol like its amazing how you guys can handle it it makes me feel more sronger and happier i just dont understand that no one knows what went wrong...its runs thru my mind here and there..i cant help it but im alot better than i used to be. By the way do you guys listen to music with hearing aids just curious how its sounds and all. And is it possiable to adjust them to hear music good i dont know..as i said im ver new about this but i thank you for your replies!

what do you mean theres life after hearing loss? im sorry i dont know...lol like its amazing how you guys can handle it it makes me feel more sronger and happier i just dont understand that no one knows what went wrong...its runs thru my mind here and there..i cant help it but im alot better than i used to be. By the way do you guys listen to music with hearing aids just curious how its sounds and all. And is it possiable to adjust them to hear music good i dont know..as i said im ver new about this but i thank you for your replies!

Jacqueline,

Keeping a positive attitude is one of the best things you can do. :)

To answer your question, there *is* life after hearing loss. If you look at some of the posts here on AD, you'll find all kinds of people who are living happy, successful lives. Some are in school. Others are employed. Still others volunteer in their communities.

There are also various devices to help a person with hearing loss around their home such as vibrating/flashing alarm clocks, sound signaling systems which alert to the phone, doorbell and smoke detector, vibrating/flashing smoke detectors and amplified phones. To find these products, do a Google search for "deaf products," "hard of hearing products" or "products for the deaf and hard of hearing."

As for not knowing the cause of a person's hearing loss, that's not unusual. In fact, it's pretty common. In my case, I did not know the cause of my hearing loss/deafness until I went for a CI (cochlear implant) evaluation where I learned that mine was caused by a variety of factors. Until then, I spent a good 20 years not knowing a thing about my hearing loss.

I started wearing hearing aids at age 15. At the time, I listened to music and it sounded *wonderful*. Very crisp and clear. For the first time in I don't know how long, I was finally able to hear the high frequencies I was missing.

By the time my hearing reached the severe-profound range, music sounded more distorted to me. With direct audio input (a stereo cord that plugs onto the bottom of a BTE hearing aid) I could only hear percussion and male vocals (depending on how they overlapped with other instruments and keyboards). Nevertheless, I still loved listening to music. I especially enjoyed feeling the bass (I have a subwoofer connected to my stereo).

I now have bilateral cochlear implants and my music listening experience is nothing short of amazing. After 10 years of being unable to hear female vocals or mid to high pitched frequencies, I'm now able to hear them clearly.

There's one thing I should mention to you about hearing aids and music. Since you're a new hearing aid user, you will most likely find the sound of music to seem strange to you. This is because you're hearing sounds you probably haven't heard in a long time. The longer you wear your aids, the better music will sound.

Hope this information helps! :)

Hey jacqueline!

No need to feel scared about being here. I like you just stayed in the shadows for a bit until i signed up and joined. I was only 16 when i started to lose my hearing and it's changed 3 times on my audiogram since then as well (i am now 18) and the ringing you experience is called tinnitus and it's good that you had an MRI to rule out anything fishy like a tumor or blood clot. They did the same with me.
Did you ever have alot of ear infections as a child? I know i had TONS like at least 2 a month til i was like 7 and i still get them...just not as often...I also burst my ear drumbs twice. So, that's what they *think* caused my hearing loss...
It's really good that you got hearing aids just in case your hearing loss doesn't reverse so you can get use to them ...they aren't too bad ..i had a pretty good time with mine until i had to get them adjusted and again and now they are pretty maxed and i have to get a new one ..Also BTE is the way to go..glad u didn't get one of the dinky aids (cic, itc, ite)

If you have any question we are glad to answer! it's a rough adjustment but it's not the end of the world! :) and welcome to AD

Jacqueline,
. . . There is life WITH A hearing loss. . . . (Pete's pesky edits strike again!)

I'm not going to get into a grammatical debate with you pek1, but that sentence can be written either way. :cool2:

To prove it, if you do a Google search for "life after hearing loss," you'll find several articles which use that phrase in their title or within the text.

By the way, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't edit my posts. I'm more than capable of doing that myself, thank you very much.

Hey AliciM thanks alot! its nice hearing from you! yeah i know what that ringing is but its gotten alot better scince May i hardly dont even reconize it it doesnt bother me at all...i guess its because i have HA's and i dont pay attention to it.....i dont know it was just a freaky thing...i didnt have that many ear infections i had like two or three....when i was little and havent got one scince this May do you think stress and depression and maybe weight gain can do it? im just trying to figure it out doctors said as the way my test results came out..i should be hearing...i dont know what ever happens, happens ya know im just enjoying my life i was stressed for about a good year have you ever heard of what happened to me before? all i know is i hear really good when im not stressed when im really happy and after i go to karate i hear really good like when i take my aids out i can hear my own voice back in may it wasnt like that at all...i just dont know lol

well i don't know for sure but maybe can u get an audiogram after a karate class and then one say after or b4 something stressful..maybe the results will be different..i have NEVER heard of stress/emotion related hearing loss but ANYTHING is possible...maybe ur hearing right now is dependent on an endorphine that is released or a certain hormone? do u take any vitamns? eat certain foods u didnt before? switch to a certain type of brand of something? these could be to blame too..i am sure ur drs went thru those questions though...

When you think about it, it makes sense that stress and depression would negatively affect hearing (just as exhaustion does).

Here's an article which discusses various factors that have an effect on hearing loss:

BHI: Hearing Loss Introduction

"Studies have linked untreated hearing loss to:

* irritability, negativism and anger
* fatigue, tension, stress and depression
* avoidance or withdrawal from social situations
* social rejection and loneliness
* reduced alertness and increased risk to personal safety
* impaired memory and ability to learn new tasks
* reduced job performance and earning power
* diminished psychological and overall health"

Welcome to AD Jacqueline,

As others said hearing loss isn't end of the world, there is alot of adjustments available these days.

I cannot say i know how you feel, as I was born profoundly deaf.My parents and i had spent 30 years finding out why i was born deaf, no one had an answer or bothered to do a simple genetic test or scan! Until I had CT scan in prepration for my CI, there it is... i have no hairs in my cochlea but everything else is in perfect working order and the cochlea is in perfect shape... but why? I still want to find out why i am deaf, i come from huge family no one is deaf not even in their old age, my Grandfather is 89 still hears pin drop onto the tiles! but we think there's 2 black sheep (twins) of my grandmother's side of family, back in the 1920's who were put in a home when they were toddlers) anyway, Enough of my life story.

If i were you i would meet other late deafen people in your area (the American AD'ers might help you on this) they would be in similar boat as you are and having those people would help to ease your suitation so that you are not alone. They'll also advise you with adjustments around the house for example smoke alarms etc (deaf or not, it's better to be safe) Keep strong and keep smiling. Wear HA's where needed.

Other thing i wanted to mention, When my tinntius got so bad after i left school (triggered by stress and school exams then facing big world from the safety of the school) I went to see Audiological Medicane (sp) they advised me to change diet, TV in bedroom (?!?) soft music (?!?) Then i said to them I AM deaf i can't hear music while sleeping! So they suggested TV?!? I did change my diet, I stopped drinking tea and coffee (will have one or two a week), eat alot less chocolate (all contains caffiene which can triggers tinntius) I was still having tinnitus full on up until i was implanted.
As an Implantee the tinnitus had gone but they do come back when i am stressed, I am now under the cochlear implant team they suggested to remove TV out of bedroom. if I am stressed Go for a walk (i have a dog and before bed i take him round the block), Do breathing exercises.. The tinnitus is alot better now days.

Karate is great for stress buster. Swimming is good aswell. I ride my horse regularly and it's good too (fresh air and pleasure riding as it makes you sit in good posture hence less stressed)

Hey Overthepond nice to meet you, and also to AliciaM, and also to hear again, Alicia actually no i dont take any vitamins but you think i should? i mean i changed my diet big time i eat very health now before my hearing issue i wasnt eating good at all and before that i lost weight within two months and then i started dating this guy and i stopped my karate and went off my diet again and plus birth control i think the birth control has got something to do with it im allergic to the hormone as the doctor told me. My doctors were not the best. Thos questions you asked me about did i change the way i ate and all never asked. Hear Again some of those symptoms that you left i actually had this year...this year was so horriable for me but now things are getting alot better and im more happier now and stress free! which is a great relief! OvethePond wow...im sorry to hear that you where born that way i dont know how it feels as you said we are both different but you know i feel like i guess this happened for a reason ya know? i dont know what the reason is...but you never found out why you had no hairs in the cholear? was your mom sick when she was having you? I would deffinatly to concider a alarm clock or something but when i slept at my boyfriend's (ex) he had the radio on his cell phone another radio just to wake him up in the morning so that he can go to work lol, but im the one with the hearing problem and yet it still woke me and he would be dead alseep lol how do you figure that! my tinnitus i guess...has gotten alot better it used to be this loud ring but now its a very very low humming sound i dont hear it when i sleep i actully hear it a little bit more in my left ear than my right....i asked the doctors about that...didnt even answer the question. I also keep getting like these little bubble noies in my ears more my right than my left but the bubble noises arent bad as they used to...which i dont know where thats from scince i have no fluid in my ear as the doc said...but as i said i changed my diet i eat alot healthier hardly and sodium try to stay away from that...alot of veggies....turkey burgers ...like egg whites....salads you know stuff like that plus my karate teacher put me on a programm scince he heard of what happened to me....sorry for rambling! lol

Hey, I am not sad that i am deaf, i just got on with my life.

No, My mum was very healthy throughout the pregancy, I was 2 weeks overdue!

Don't worry about rambling.... there is some people who's worse! lol.

Back