Hi im belinda from calif.

i was born deaf, grew up in michigan. i went and graduated from the normal public school which contain some deaf class. 35 yrs living in california with hearing husband of 25 yrs and hearing kids ages from 22 to 30. hearing grandson, 3. im 55, homemaker, quilting, babysitting. i think deaf people are wonderful no matter what on sign languages or orally. both deaf is deaf :)
im glad to see that i enroll in alldeaf.com and see if i like or not. it is first time. thanks

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

Welcome to AD.

Some of us, both hearing and D/deaf are in California.

I'm up north of Sacramento myself.

Hi I am Belinda Dill

I'm Belinda and 55 yrs old. i was born deaf and i went and graduated ida public school with deaf classes. i grew up in Michigan. Now I'm in Calif., married to hearing man of 25 yrs and 3 hearing kids. hobby is sewing, quilting, and barbie collect.
I was trained oral, and I lip read pretty well.

OK i read the views. i'm deaf, well doesnt bother me this is who am i. i grew up in orally and lipreading. i do sign asl some not all. i am volunteer and teacher helper in deaf class, helped out with deaf children whom sign. so i can learn to sign with them from elementary through out high school. i enjoyed them. for me i dont care both way for deaf who lipreading and sign langages as i like to make some friends. im not against at orally or against sign language, either way. deaf is deaf, period. my life grew up with lack of conversation with families, friends. i understood how you feel about being left out, or being told never mind, so on. of course that bothered me as bitter sad. i dont have many hearing friends because i chose few good hearing close-friends whom really understands and cares about me have been my sides as best friends for many years. and i do have close deaf friends i treat them equally as evenly. my husband is hearing and learned and knows asl before met me. he always told me that deaf people are NOT stupid as hearing people are stupid because they (hearing) dont know a thing about deaf! he said also deaf people are more seriously focus on what they are doing hard way to prove themself more better than the hearing people.he said, deafpeople are more intelliange and smart what they are doing at or so good at. i had been told by friends telling me some outside friends cant believe that i drive! yea, i have good eyes!!! and less attraction. they were taken surprised! yep! that was at along ago! now days, same people realized im very good driver of 38 yrs with an excellant driving records. i proved them wrong! my grandson's dad whom is hearing asked my daughter what if i can't hear baby's crying and she told him upfront look at my mom was raising me and siblings! so thats mean i have eyes!!! i do wear both hearing aids to listen any noises and alerts around too. believe me i hardly find a single deaf friend but 20 some years took me to find the one deaf lady whom i met at the lunch time at resturant! she the one deaf, but lipreading! we become friends. so we would have keeping to look any deaf person which i DON'T care if she/he signs or not as i rather have a friend. i ended up to find deaf club or something in website or google. i saw there is many as i try one is alldeaf. i hope i will enjoy soon. thank you for having me there. thanks!

:welcome: to AD! Your story sounds like mine..I started out learning sign language by taking ASL classes at the university I attended and then I learned about Deaf culture and all that. Now, I use ASL full time and am very involved with the Deaf community. I have a few hearing friends who dont sign and I do interact with them but on an one-on-one basis as I dont do well in large crowds without sign language.

Enjoy AD!

Gotta love the name Balinda Dill.

Hope you find a home here.

Back