Hi! I am new.

CrystalMocha

Reaction score
Wow! I never know that this does exist! Ha ha! There's alot of issues to talk about!! Indeed! I think this is really neat!!
Anyway...I have so many questions to ask... Hopefully I ll be able to come across with someone who is alot more whiz or computer freak than my bf, heh...(sh sh) and would be able to answer to any of my questions...
I've learned to use HTML .. currently learning the CGI. I have my own website..and am trying to set up the application form for those customers to fill that out. And store all the informations they added. Am currently wokring this website under webhost.. Is it good to have the webhosting? Ofc .. have to pay monthly for their service.. because they have everything what I needed... Should I learn to use .htaccess with Apach? That's part of security to protect those hackers, am I right?
And other thing... What is database?? Anyone .. could you explain what it is?? My bf kept saying that I need database and I asked him what is it?? How can i set it up?? He dont know!! Grr..
Can you tell me what is FTP? and SQL?

Tell me your opinions.. Any advices?? See! Lot of questions! Yea I know..Would be very much appericated for your voices and help! Thank you! C~

Last edited:
Wish I could help you out on that, but I too am a computer illiterate. :P BTW, welcome to AD! I'm sure you can find some answers to that in the computer and technology section in AD.

host or server

My opinion is that you should get a host service for now. If your website is hot, then you might need a computer server in a few months - not right away.

I believe this website, alldeaf.com, is very popular. An owner of this website bought a server instead of a host. The problem is that if your business is hot, it might be difficult for you to get out of the host service because of the fine prints. Some host services let you out... Sometimes, you might need the host service for some reasons.

If you decide to use your own server, you would have to think about a lot of things that need to get started. i.e. a DSL modem, a regular telephone service, an ecommerce (?) or bank wire fees, a server software probably come with a SSL, a website fee every year, a database (mySQL, SQL, etc), and probably Unix. (Forget this T1 modem - this modem is for large companies like GE, Sony, etc.)

I do not have a server or a host service yet. I am learning Dreamweaver and to get the idea before I do anything for my business. In the future, I would probably both use my own server and get a host service.

WaterRats13 said:
Wish I could help you out on that, but I too am a computer illiterate. :P BTW, welcome to AD! I'm sure you can find some answers to that in the computer and technology section in AD.

:wave: Ohh.. thats allright..Thanks for welcoming me to this AD...I have searched already and found one that might will be able to answer all my questions..Since I am pretty new to this.. heh But I am not worried because I know since I just became member of this AD and pretty soon I will get more answers from those who responds to my AD. (hopeful!)

I really love this AD.. its really terrific! I didnt know about this until i was browsing around in deafgroup in MSN..Soo many topics to talk about and I really enjoy it alot.. :) And those smilies... cracked me up!! LOL!!

webexplorer said:
My opinion is that you should get a host service for now. If your website is hot, then you might need a computer server in a few months - not right away.

I believe this website, alldeaf.com, is very popular. An owner of this website bought a server instead of a host. The problem is that if your business is hot, it might be difficult for you to get out of the host service because of the fine prints. Some host services let you out... Sometimes, you might need the host service for some reasons.

If you decide to use your own server, you would have to think about a lot of things that need to get started. i.e. a DSL modem, a regular telephone service, an ecommerce (?) or bank wire fees, a server software probably come with a SSL, a website fee every year, a database (mySQL, SQL, etc), and probably Unix. (Forget this T1 modem - this modem is for large companies like GE, Sony, etc.)

I do not have a server or a host service yet. I am learning Dreamweaver and to get the idea before I do anything for my business. In the future, I would probably both use my own server and get a host service.

:wave: I currently have the webhost service..thinking of switching to different one since other webhost service have little more stuffs that I would be needing to use them..I am all set except creating website...and need to learn some things that i needed to learn and i believe some of things that are very necessary to include since we will be running a business as business owner. My main goal is to get this application form complete for those people who want to work..

Tell me more about my own server...This is new and I wanted to know about this.. maybe I should start using that instead of depending on webhost server...How to set up the server? What do I need to do with it? You said this alldeaf.com bought a server.. how did they do that? where can I find the server? :D

Last edited:
webexplorer said:

Another question...Is database like program the website? And build database at webhost server or my own server?

CrystalMocha said:
Another question...Is database like program the website? And build database at webhost server or my own server?

There are two very different databases:

In a general idea, a database that you can work on a dreamweaver for dymanic pages and javascript?, and upload them on a host or a server. For own server, you will need Apache to run it. (I really don't want to talk about the Apache - this is far complex program. Apache website offers programmers to download it for free.)

Another database, you can create a mySQL or PHP program for collecting your customers' information - like this forum for example. This is for a computer server. I would think that you could use it on a host.

My opinion is that creating your own HTML is a waste of time, but it is good idea for you to know about it. Suppose, if you added so many new HTML lines in your source file every other month, how would you deal with the update it? Otherwise, your source file would look alike a spaghetti, and it would take many hours or months for you to fix the bugs.

for webexplorer

webexplorer said:
There are two very different databases:

In a general idea, a database that you can work on a dreamweaver for dymanic pages and javascript?, and upload them on a host or a server. For own server, you will need Apache to run it. (I really don't want to talk about the Apache - this is far complex program. Apache website offers programmers to download it for free.)

Another database, you can create a mySQL or PHP program for collecting your customers' information - like this forum for example. This is for a computer server. I would think that you could use it on a host.

My opinion is that creating your own HTML is a waste of time, but it is good idea for you to know about it. Suppose, if you added so many new HTML lines in your source file every other month, how would you deal with the update it? Otherwise, your source file would look alike a spaghetti, and it would take many hours or months for you to fix the bugs.

Wondering can create a mySQL or PHP in dreamweaver? I have downloaded the Dreamweaver XM and i opened it then I went like DUH. (laughing) Not sure where to start... I thought that is for me to use with HTML but i was wrong.. So now the free trail of 14 days has expired and I have to order ...and I have seen the prices.. yikes!
so would that be good idea to begin with webhost server for a while until I get enough to order that? What ya think?

:wave: welcome to AD enjoy ur stay even tho i dont know much abt that in ref to ur questions LOL -- hope u can forgive me for my stupidity :lol:

hey crystal i too am a mocha freak lover, and computer lover BUT i also am rookie in the deep knowledlge of the webserver and etc, Im just only starting on how to make sigs and avatars and having a heck of a time doing that. BUT welcome to AD and u know what I ll be glad to have a java with ya :) hehehe ur best poeple are the ones that have been trying to help u webexplorer, linux gold OR alex himself as he's also the adminstrator the owner and the GOD of AD, im sure one of these darlings will be glad to be of help to u :)

javapride said:
hey crystal i too am a mocha freak lover, and computer lover BUT i also am rookie in the deep knowledlge of the webserver and etc, Im just only starting on how to make sigs and avatars and having a heck of a time doing that. BUT welcome to AD and u know what I ll be glad to have a java with ya :) hehehe ur best poeple are the ones that have been trying to help u webexplorer, linux gold OR alex himself as he's also the adminstrator the owner and the GOD of AD, im sure one of these darlings will be glad to be of help to u :)

:wave: :D Thanks for making me feel so welcome to AD.. Love those smilies... they sure crack me up!! (chuckles) yea would like to have java with ya! You and I seem are alike .. mochafreak and computerfreak heh.

Yea I got those messages from webexplorer. He was very helpful.. it meant alot to me.. Can see that he knows alot and is able to answer to my questions. Seem like webexplorer is the only one that has come forward and have some feedbacks with him... so..thanks for the tip on those darlings should i talk with...

By the way hows ur labor weekend? Mine is allright...now finally got my daughters back to school..today is their second day of school and both loves it soo much.. they talk and talk alot about their friends, teachers, and what they will learn in school..they seem couldnt stop talking (chuckles) Very chattery!!!

Be hearing from you soon! Take care! C~

Fly Free said:
:wave: welcome to AD enjoy ur stay even tho i dont know much abt that in ref to ur questions LOL -- hope u can forgive me for my stupidity :lol:

:lol: I forgive you... not to worry i got someone who can...thanks for your efforts anyway ;) Oh I really enjoy AD.. when I first become member of this AD and wow .. got really good responses and can see lot lot lot of deafies go inside the AD..felt its worth it! I've already added this AD to my favorites! Have a good day! C~

CrystalMocha said:
Wondering can create a mySQL or PHP in dreamweaver? I have downloaded the Dreamweaver XM and i opened it then I went like DUH. (laughing) Not sure where to start... I thought that is for me to use with HTML but i was wrong.. So now the free trail of 14 days has expired and I have to order ...and I have seen the prices.. yikes!
so would that be good idea to begin with webhost server for a while until I get enough to order that? What ya think?
The answer is YES. You can use MySQL and PHP thru Dreamweaver however you will need to get mysql username and password. There are more information about it that I suggest you to read thru some documentation. Good luck

Back