Hi I am jacob mitchell i am new on this page

I know asl from age 11 and i am now 16 almost 17 this month on the 6th i am still learning the asl in the intermediate level and i can sign to song from christian artist and gosple artist

I'm a little confused. You are hearing, but have been learning ASL for the past five years. You sign in church, but not for the purpose of communication with dDeaf (this really confuses me...like translating to russian when no one speaks russian).

Are you taking ASL class with dDeaf instructor? Do you sign with a native ASL signer? Did you begin learning ASL for a reason, or just because you enjoyed it? Do you interact with the Deaf in any way?

I'm not asking you these questions to put you on the spot, but to better understand your background and how you fit into the Deaf Community. Can you tell us more about how you became interested in ASL? You say you sign at an intermediate level. What circumstances brought you to thus level of facility? Do you have a family member or friend who is Deaf?

ASL is a living language used by the Deaf. Deaf consider an inappropriate use of ASL to be disrespectful of their culture. Poor training in the use of ASL is also disrespectful. Try visiting France and speaking French poorly...you won't get the time of day (in French) from anyone. It is the same with ASL. How many times we have seen poorly trained hearing people who think it is so cute to use their hands to butcher ASL?

Again, I don't mean to make this an inquisition, but your posts left me scratching my head, especially signing in church with no one to understand what you are signing?

No I am self taught buy a bunch of the sign language books

Sent from my SM-G900P using AllDeaf App mobile app

I do not have family members that are deaf but I have one person that walks on my block that is deaf and I signed to her and how I got into sign was because I was deafness when I was born so that's also how I be came interested in sign language and there's not enough signers in the world so I want to become as an interpreter and my aunt her mom is deaf so my Aunt know sign language so is part of my family and she sign for the White House before her bipolar kicked in

No I am self taught buy a bunch of the sign language books

How do you get your receptive practice? Do you practice dialogues with someone?

I do not have family members that are deaf but I have one person that walks on my block that is deaf and I signed to her and how I got into sign was because I was deafness when I was born so that's also how I be came interested in sign language and there's not enough signers in the world so I want to become as an interpreter and my aunt her mom is deaf so my Aunt know sign language so is part of my family and she sign for the White House before her bipolar kicked in

If you want to become an interpreter you will have to move to an area that has some kind of Deaf community. You will also need to get a college degree to become certified. I don't know what's available to you in your locations.

Do you sign with your aunt's mother?

Maybe the deaf person who walks on your block can introduce you to the local Deaf community.

I hope that you can find the resources that you need.

I never met with my aunts mother but me and my aunt sign together she show me signs the I need to learn or the signs that I can't find what I need that I don't know and I have a college nearby has sign language class and where I live right now it's fine I have a few deaf in this area

Back