Hi - hearing parent deaf child

ShilohBuchman

Reaction score
Good morning, everyone!

My name is Shiloh. I'm the hearing mom to a deaf daughter. We sign in our house 24/7... sometimes with voice (SimCom), sometimes without.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and sharing in your experiences. I hope to learn from you and also pass on some of the knowledge I've picked up along the way.

Thanks for having me,

Shiloh

If you do a search in this forum for deaf child you'll find many threads on this.

:welcome:

We just recently found out our 3 year old daughter has moderate to severe hearing loss, it's nice to see other hearing parents on here :). (Probably more here than I realize though.) I look forward to hearing your experiences and learning from you as well (we are just starting to learn ASL and looking at our local deaf school as placement for her since our rural area doesn't really offer great options for her). Enjoy your stay :)!

Hey, about 10 years ago I used to live in Oak Creek, WI for very short time. Never want to live in Wisconsin ever again. :lol:

Welcome to AllDeaf!

hello!

Shiloh..how old is your daughter?

AngieDust,

My daughter is 10. She's a twin - one deaf, one hearing. It's a lot of fun seeing how much they're alike and how much they're different. You know how people say twins have their own language? Our girls are like that with their signs. We have trouble understanding, what we call, their "sloppy sign," but they always seem to understand each other. It's cute.

I notice you are new here also. Welcome to the forum!

If you do a search in this forum for deaf child you'll find many threads on this.

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't thought of that. I just planned to snoop around and check it all out. Now you've piqued my interest, though, and I'll give it a go. Thanks, again!

:welcome:

We just recently found out our 3 year old daughter has moderate to severe hearing loss, it's nice to see other hearing parents on here :). (Probably more here than I realize though.) I look forward to hearing your experiences and learning from you as well (we are just starting to learn ASL and looking at our local deaf school as placement for her since our rural area doesn't really offer great options for her). Enjoy your stay :)!

JadeSkye -

We found out our daughter was deaf when she was 18 months old. It was scary at first. I felt like I suddenly didn't know how to take care of her because I couldn't "speak her language" ... even though she didn't know it yet either. It helped A TON to see deaf adults. It made me realize that my daughter would be fine. She just might communicate differently.

We tried a couple of different school placements. In a couple of weeks, our daughter will be starting at our state's School for the Deaf.

Hey, about 10 years ago I used to live in Oak Creek, WI for very short time. Never want to live in Wisconsin ever again. :lol:

Welcome to AllDeaf!

Although Oak Creek is beautiful, I don't want to live in here either!!!!! :giggle: Stupid snow!

wow. one hearing and one deaf. Its cool that they have their own little language. And thank you for welcoming me. :)

Back