Hi, future teacher here, and feeling unprepared

salizler

Reaction score
Part of my curriculum currently is learning interventions, how to best serve students, and accommodate everyone. Unfortunately we haven't addressed anything about students with hearing or vision impairments. I'm working on my own independent topic this semester, and plan on snooping around some of the forums here if you don't mind.
Part of the culmination of my project involves inviting someone to our class forum who has recently been in a public school to relay their personal experience in a Q&A format. This would be early April, and I will probably post a paid request in a couple weeks, I hope that's okay.
In the meantime, I hope you don't mind me popping in!

Hey,
I'm nearly done with my degree in Deaf Education (just need to finish writing my Master dissertation) and will become a teacher after this. I'm hard of hearing myself and went to mainstream school. So if you need any help or information or literature about the topic just let me know
Laura

Hi Laura,
Congrats on that! And thank you.
My mom is a speech pathologist, and growing up with her, I haven't had the glimpse I suppose I should have into the ASL community. Nowadays she works at the middle school, but more or less centered on speech development, as there are no students that are hard of hearing in our smallish town (we moved up to northern MN).
I'm working on reading intervention strategies as of right now, and it just got me thinking...... none of our courses so far have addressed this! None of my classmates or professors have brought it up, and it hasn't been in any reading material provided.
I'm currently working in a Human Relations class that urges us to ask questions of community members that we view as "marginalized". I considered American Indian, or Latino/a, but we've addressed that too, so I really don't want to research that. Yes, I will probably ask questions of you or anyone on here if I can't find anything here or somewhere else.
Thank you,
Sara

Back