Hi from the UK

TheClownPrince

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this site, recently diagnosed with a hearing loss in both ears, and am currently awaiting my first hearing aids, which im very nervous about.

I am the only one in my family and friend circle to have a hearing loss, and although people are being suportive, i feel nervous and worried about where i go from here.

Not sure im accepting that fact i need hearing aids, im very nervous about the fitting, not knowing how tey will feel, look, sound etc, so came here lookin for friends, and hopefully people that have been/are going through this too.

Not sure what else to write, but am happy to chat with you all, so come say hi, and if there is anything you wanna know about me, just ask :0)

Hello!! I am the only person in my large family group with a hearing loss, but I do have a lot of deaf friends. Hope your transition into getting hearing aids goes smoothly.
:welcome: by the way

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Nice to meet you. You will be doing fine with us and have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Hi, welcome to another newbie ;) I am like yourself, hoping to make some new friends and talk to others about problems and issues that come about because of my deafness.
Any questions you have or for a general chat, I'm always happy to help :)
Karen

Welcome to the forum. I am also from the UK. :)

Think of hearing aids as glasses. Only for your ears, and not your eyes. Once you start to see it like that, your perception of hearing aids should (hopefully) change!

What type of hearing loss do you have? I assume a conductive loss? If so, there's many different types of hearing aids available to you. You will probably be issued with a conventional BTE aid to start with. (sorry for making many assumptions! - please feel free to provide more info) If you don't like it though, you may have the option to change. It is in their interests to make sure you're happy.

Depending on your type of hearing loss, an ITE (In The Ear) aid may also be an option if you wish for the aid to be almost hidden. Personally, though, I prefer the mini/open BTE's (Behind the Ear) because they look cool (imo), they're not big and they're quick and easy to replace.

hearing-aids-bte.jpg

All of the aid types in the image above are available for free on the NHS. Though, they may not all be suitable, depending on your type of hearing loss.

Don't worry about having it fitted. It doesn't hurt what so ever. The aid will feel odd to start with. After awhile though, you probably won't realise it's there. It's like wearing a ring for the first time. To start with, it feels like you have a strange object on your finger. After a few days, you don't even feel it. I hope that makes sense.

Hi all,

New to this site, recently diagnosed with a hearing loss in both ears, and am currently awaiting my first hearing aids, which im very nervous about.

I am the only one in my family and friend circle to have a hearing loss, and although people are being suportive, i feel nervous and worried about where i go from here.

Not sure im accepting that fact i need hearing aids, im very nervous about the fitting, not knowing how tey will feel, look, sound etc, so came here lookin for friends, and hopefully people that have been/are going through this too.

Not sure what else to write, but am happy to chat with you all, so come say hi, and if there is anything you wanna know about me, just ask :0)

Hi

I grew up in surrey (farnham/guildford area) and there are quite few of deaf people about. Seek out social services (they assess you and supply safety equipment for your house and will also advise you about whats there in surrey such as deaf pub, deaf coffee, etc) Also there is Hearing Concern Link homepage which advises/supports people with hearing loss.

I grew up with profound deafness so I have no idea whats it's like to be hearing but do lead normal life with very few little barriers. I had hearing aids all my life then had cochlear implant fitted 2 years ago, I never looked back. Hearing aids are comfy to wear once you get used to it. I have a new hearing aid (in my unimplanted ear) recently which is much smaller and digital and I am used to analouge and big BTE for so long, it took me a while to adjust.

Remember, you are the one who is wearing the HA not the Audiologist and make sure you are completely comfortable and happy with it. It will take time to adjust the sounds. Don't expect it to be perfect as you used to hear.

Good luck with your journey. Keep us updated with your progress.

Back