Hi from South Carolina

Hello TCS,

Welcome to AD. Can't believe that it's been 26 years (Nov 84) since I left the canoe club. First my old boat (USS Mount Whitney) went coed, then bird farms, and now subs. It's a little hard to believe after all the Tailhook fuss. During my time; boats were too crowded, had too much testosterone, and little connection with home. What do you think?

Navy to allow women to serve on submarines - Yahoo! News
Thank you for the welcome.

I agree with everything you said.

I think the guys on subs would prefer to be left alone. My opinion.

Hello Tincansailor, my grandad served as a cook and gunner from 1910-1932 and was called up again from 1939-1945. He saw action in both world wars, and was wounded in action on HMS Hardy in December 1914. I've got all his service records. Here's a photo of him with my nan. Kevin.

Attachments

• img006.jpg
    img006.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 6
Here's a photo of my nans brother who was killed in action on HMS Glowworm in 1940. As you can probably guess I come from a naval family ! Kevin.

Attachments

• img033.jpg
    img033.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 6
:welcome: to AD and thank you for your service to protect our country! :)

Hello Tincansailor, my grandad served as a cook and gunner from 1910-1932 and was called up again from 1939-1945. He saw action in both world wars, and was wounded in action on HMS Hardy in December 1914. I've got all his service records. Here's a photo of him with my nan. Kevin.
It sounds like he had a very interesting time in the service. Those were hard years on uncomfortable ships; no modern conveniences back then!

England has always had a good reputation for naval service.

I honor your granddad's service.

It's always nice to have those historical records and photos to remember your family.

Here's a photo of my nans brother who was killed in action on HMS Glowworm in 1940. As you can probably guess I come from a naval family ! Kevin.
Anyone who sacrificed his life for his nation during war is a hero to me.

Yes, I can tell you're from a naval family. :)

Anyone who sacrificed his life for his nation during war is a hero to me.

Yes, I can tell you're from a naval family. :)

Hello Tincansailor, I agree with you there. I was medically unfit for the royal navy but served along side them as a civillian in the MOD for 22 years. Kevin.

Hello Tincansailor, I agree with you there. I was medically unfit for the royal navy but served along side them as a civillian in the MOD for 22 years. Kevin.
I'm glad you could do your part for defense. :)

Civilian support is crucial to the military.

I never see or hear of Military without thanking them for their service!

So from me to you, a HUGE thank you for fighting for our freedom and safety.

May God bless you and all our military and keep them safe. And to the families and servicemen/women of the lost and wounded, my prayers are with you always.

Hello Tincansailor. I've been lucky enough to see some of your aircraft carriers when they've visited Portsmouth, even though they're too big to enter the naval base. I've never actually seen the USS Enterprise, but was wondering what the chances are of it becoming a museum, when it pays off in a couple of years time. Kevin.

Welcome Tincansailor!

I hope you enjoy your stay here! :wave:

My sister, brother in law and my nephew Jeffery all are into motorcycles.

I never see or hear of Military without thanking them for their service!

So from me to you, a HUGE thank you for fighting for our freedom and safety.
You're very welcome. I never heard such nice things when I was active duty during the Vietnam war. I didn't even fight over there but people would ask me if I was killing women and children. :(

May God bless you and all our military and keep them safe. And to the families and servicemen/women of the lost and wounded, my prayers are with you always.
I'm thankful and pray for them also.

Hello Tincansailor. I've been lucky enough to see some of your aircraft carriers when they've visited Portsmouth, even though they're too big to enter the naval base. I've never actually seen the USS Enterprise, but was wondering what the chances are of it becoming a museum, when it pays off in a couple of years time. Kevin.
With money becoming tighter and tighter, there is less chance that the large vessels will become museums because of the cost of their upkeep.

Back