Hi from oregon

AutisticDogLover

Reaction score
Hello, I'm here because I want to learn ASL. I've perfectly fine hearing(something I sometimes regret because I'm over sensitive to noise), I am however Autistic and sometimes am non-verbal so I think learning ASL would be helpful to me

I'm also a service dog trainer... just random information about me

Hi! What kind of service dogs do you train? Are they for hoh and deaf people ?

I've trained medical alert dogs, alerts for heart conditions and diabetes, as well as assistance work(fetching, opening doors, ect.)

Oregon! I'm from Portland originally. There's a couple other Oregonians on here, Welcome :wave:

Too bad Makaton isn't a big thing in the states..I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer but,the trouble with ASL and autism is that while autistic people can understand the signs,they cannot understand the facial expressions used in ASL.It's really hard....Most autistic people have MAJOR issues with reading normal facial expressions....that would be like a Dhh person being able to read Chinese,but they can't speak Chinese dialects since they're tonal based.

:wave:AutisticDogLover

I'm also a dog trainer and have worked with assistance <mobility/cross-trained>dogs.
I currently volunteer in a humane society and work part time in a pet supply shop. I'm hoh.

Hello DogMom, I am currently in the Madison area but will soon be moving closer to Milwaukee. Have been working with dogs for 8 years, daycare, foster, obedience training and service training. What kind of work do you do? Also, are you on FaceBook?

:wave:Graceland
nope, not on Facebook. I'm extremely UN-technical.
I've been working with dogs since I was a child - did dog-walking/dog-sitting, started volunteering at animal shelters and wildlife rehab center and did that all through college. In college I sat and watched public dog training classes though I had no personal dog and did not have dogs as a kid. I sat for hours and drew dogs and horses and read about the behavior of dogs and wolves. I went to dog training seminars though again - no dog. Always knew I'd live with dogs and hub and I bought our first house with that in mind, looked for a fenced-in yard with a house and found that. The year after we moved into the first house, we searched for a reputable breeder for our first dog, since I wanted a larger, multi-purpose working dog to trial with and had certain temperament and personality. Since I'd not lived with Rotties before, we chose to go with a reputable breeder who could serve as a guide for a long time and we still keep in touch and go back to her to ask her things - she and her husband are judges in the breed and compete in a variety of dog sports.
Then in 1999 we looked for and adopted another dog, a Lab through rescue.
I also started mentoring officially with master trainers and have done that with the 3 different people, still attend seminars as much as I can, and research on nutrition. I've taken tons of classes over the years with my own dogs and I also volunteer at a shelter now with the Behavior Department, doing training and be-mod.

Kind of work - I help customers at the holistic pet supply shop. I don't do cash register/transactions since I have a learning disability <math> but was hired to focus on customer questions on nutrition and training. I also do some light stocking of small things<hernia> and cleaning.

I was a volunteer at the Humane Society in Milwaukee several years ago and really enjoyed working with the dogs there. Have worked with dogs for many years, but more so in the past 8 years. As the result of a car accident I lost my hearing and use a service dog myself. Working in a pet store sounds like the perfect job. I bet you really like it.

:wave:yes, I do..though I'm sick today :( but usually I do work on Thursday.
I'm drinking lots of tea.
Perhaps I even saw you at the WHS some time ago:)
I also worked at doggie daycare.
What breed or mix is your service dog?

Hello, I'm here because I want to learn ASL. I've perfectly fine hearing(something I sometimes regret because I'm over sensitive to noise), I am however Autistic and sometimes am non-verbal so I think learning ASL would be helpful to me

I'm also a service dog trainer... just random information about me
Wonderful that you found a profession for yourself even tho autistic. Working with animals must be extremely rewarding. I wish you well. Have fun learning ASL, you will meet some very bright people!

Back