Hi from a Texan in NYC

kambric

Reaction score
I'm a CODA who grew up in Texas but now live in NYC where I'm a writer, producer & publicist for stand up comedians. I've been a long time lurker of AllDeaf coming out of hiding. :wave:

My dad and three of his sisters were born deaf but six other siblings were not. My mom was born HoH and her sister was born deaf. Both of their parents (my grandparents) and her mother's brothers and sisters were all deaf. They all went to Deaf school in Oklahoma.

My dad is in his 10th year of a 20-year prison sentence for attempted murder. His unit houses the most deaf inmates in the country (anywhere from 90 to 110), but he often complains of discrimination when it comes to how they are treated. Sometimes they're valid complaints, other times it's just him being angry and frustrated.

So that's where I'm at. Thanks for being a great forum and resource.

~Kambri Crews

Welcome! Wow, you bring an interesting set of experiences to the AD forums. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

There is a deaf prison ministry down here. If you're interested I can give you the info. It's not clear to me where your dad is.
Welcome to AD. *waves*

There is a deaf prison ministry down here. If you're interested I can give you the info. It's not clear to me where your dad is.
Welcome to AD. *waves*

Thank you and please do send the info. I *may* have already heard of the ministry as I've done so much research over the last 10 years, but it's been a while.

I'll post it later when I'm on laptop.

:wave:...a "Texan in New Yok' Cittty?"..j/k....look forward to ur threads/posts here at AD!...Welcome Aboard!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, everyone! And Sallylou, I have never heard of that group, so a HUGE thanks to you for telling me about it. Really awesome!

Back