Hi Everyone!!

Kyle

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm Kyle and I'm 20 years old. I'm not only new to this site, but new to the community alltogether. I've had ear problems throughout my life and became deaf in my right ear about 4 years ago. Very recently, my hearing has started to worsen in my left ear as well. The audiologist said that a hearing aid should work for the short term but I will likely lose my hearing completely within the next 12 months.

Saying I'm scared is an understatement. I've never relied heavily on my hearing but the thought of losing it completely is very upsetting. However, I'm very thankful that I have had the chance to experience the world through my ears for the past 20 years. So many don't get that. I'm trying to stay as positive as I can. I'm thankful for everything and look forward to my future.

Right now, I'm studying ASL and relaying as much as possible to my family. Until now, I never realized the complexity and usefulness of sign. I've found that I can convey anything I want to say with it. I'm not going to rely entirely on it. I've developed the skill of lip-reading over time and I believe my speech should remain intact for the most part. So, I am greatly blessed.

For now, I'm staying positive. Taking everything in stride. My world is not ending, just a new part is opening up for me as one closes. The most frustrating thing is that my family doesn't believe me when I tell them I'm okay. I guess they expect me to be absolutely devastated about it. But, I'm not. Yes, I'm frightened, but not about losing my hearing. The scariest part for me is how my family will adapt. My mom is visibly upset now. I can't imagine how she's going to take it when it actually happens.

Okay, I'm done for now. If you've made it this far, I want to thank you so much for reading. It feels nice to get everything off my chest.

You will be fine, others will learn to cope. ASL is a great language. You can convey everything and then some. Unlike mere words, ASL includes whole body language, expression, and gesture. You will learn so much. It is good to take a class, with a deaf teacher is best. Meet other deaf or hoh folks, and this may seem hard now, but you are on a journey. It will be what you make of it.

Glad you found alldeaf, this a wonderful resource. Visit the late deaf forum, make new friends, check out schools and technology. Welcome!

Thank you everybody for your warm welcomes. This is a great site. :-D I think I will fit in perfectly. Starting official ASL classes soon. Been studying for a little bit. Think I have greetings, fingerspelling, and numbers down pat.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Hey Kyle, I know what you are going through, I went from hearing to deaf very quickly. It does take a while to adjust to it but it's not the end of the world :)

I wish I explained to more people what it was going to be like being deaf, most people I know don't have a clue how to communicate with me. If I were to offer you any advice it would be to talk to people you know, while you still have some hearing and explain the situation (although it seems like you've already started doing that :) )

Hope to see you around the site ;)

Back