Hi everyone!

Sofiasmy

Reaction score
Hello :)

So here I am, I just created an account and I want to introduce myself before I start exploring the forum!

My name is Sofia and I am currently 25 years old. I am a hearing young woman who was born in Portugal, but was raised in Spain. I've been living in Ireland for 2 years now, though.

I started taking Irish Sign Language classes a few months ago and I love it. I am always finding ways to learn more signs outside the classes. Not only I think sign languages all over the world are fascinating, but I am a believer that they should be recognized officially. Unfortunately, Irish sign language hasn't been recognized yet.

Honestly, I don't know where my fascination for deaf people comes from, but I am willing to learn more about the deaf society and I'd love to destroy some of the stigmas that surround deaf people.

I hope I am not offending anyone with my words; I am so happy to have found this new passion in me, and it's one of those passions to stay. I want to learn more, I want to make people's lives better and I want to make new friends who happen to use a different language than mine!

Greetings to everyone,

Sofia :)

Hi There, Welcome to AD! Interesting background you got. I guess you can speak many languages. How are you liking the Irish weather? Heard its always cold and wet there. Bet you are missing sunny Spain. :)
Cheers....

Welcome, are you going to school in Ireland? My daughter lives there and attends Trinity College.

Welcome. I believe you're the first person that I've seen who knows ISL. Why is it not a recognized sign language yet?

Welcome. I believe you're the first person that I've seen who knows ISL. Why is it not a recognized sign language yet?

It happened that same thing here in USA and Canada when the governments and the hearing societies don't know anything about deafness and Deaf Culture especially in Sign Language. It is not recognized same like some Native tribes who are not recognized. We, in USA, have tried to make the hearing people in governments and societies recognize how important d/Deaf and HOH people need to use ASL (American Sign Language) as accessible and accommodation for us to understand in ASL. Ireland is the same like us where their government and their society don't want to recognized ISL. The hearing people prefer Oral method over Sign Language. That is why us, Deafies, hate Oral method. Sign language is much easier to understand better than lipreading. :(

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Back