Hi all :)

There is large deaf population at wolverampton Uni, and another one, I think it's Derby. Most Unis are very good at providing accomodations, many many of my deaf friends are Oxford, Wolves, Derby, or local Uni's graduates.

Krissy needs to get her self strong as advocate for her needs. I couldn't sign well after leaving oral school, was provided with notetakers without fuss through my college years (college here is post 16/secondary school usually before Uni). There are Communication Support Worker which i currently uses for work, a person who supports individual needs. If I need a signer, she will sign, if i need her to write whats on the board so I can listen/lipread to teacher talking, she will do it as i cannot write and listen/lipread at sametime. Krissy needs to fight tooth and nail for accomodations.

A lot of deaf schools/units had been closing down. In Hampshire alone there is one TOD for 167 deaf kids!!! Disgusting... Hampshire refuses to send any child to deaf school.

For everyone's Information, it's from the top of my head (i think this is correct, if anyone thinks its wrong please let me know)

Preschool 3-5
Infants 5-7
Primary 7-11
Secondary 11-16
6th form/college 16-18/19
University 17/18 onwards depending on A level grades

It also depends on your age on 31st August.
Thanks a lot for the info, I'll make sure to have a look into the schools when I want to continue my education, although the longer I'm going without school and the older I get I'm a bit worried incase I'm a heck of a lot older than everyone else lol.
You know like at certain colleges you can take evening classes as adults? Are there the same type of things available at deaf schools do you know?

Thanks a lot for the info, I'll make sure to have a look into the schools when I want to continue my education, although the longer I'm going without school and the older I get I'm a bit worried incase I'm a heck of a lot older than everyone else lol.
You know like at certain colleges you can take evening classes as adults? Are there the same type of things available at deaf schools do you know?

Not that I know of, after few years in the marine industry, the marine industry was hit badly by the recession, I was owed a lot of money so I decided to get stable job but had no other qualifications other than marine ones, I wanted to help in deaf schools. So went to the job centre want to send me 400 miles away to learn LIFE SKILLS!!!! , no way I already have life skills!!, I have my own house, dog, cat, horse and chickens to care for, I was so insulted that they said i need to learn life skills when i already are very independant person. I refused then they told me they have no other opitions, so I was put in touch with employment officer who happen to have a deaf lady there who went through alot of red tape to get me a place at local college to do Teaching Assistant course with a notetaker, I paid nothing. Thank god, I passed with distinction and took further maths/english exams aswell which I passed with over 85% in both tests. The course was one evening a week and i was 32 at the time and i was one of the youngest!!

Got Job in school few months later, not with deaf kids, with Autistic Teenagers! I love it, it's so challenging.

I went through courts to get my money back which I won the case.
The Job centre officer who said i couldn't go to local college because there is no course suitable or any support for the deaf people, has since been warned. My employment officer wrote the letter to them, we had meeting and they saw my side.

Not that I know of, after few years in the marine industry, the marine industry was hit badly by the recession, I was owed a lot of money so I decided to get stable job but had no other qualifications other than marine ones, I wanted to help in deaf schools. So went to the job centre want to send me 400 miles away to learn LIFE SKILLS!!!! , no way I already have life skills!!, I have my own house, dog, cat, horse and chickens to care for, I was so insulted that they said i need to learn life skills when i already are very independant person. I refused then they told me they have no other opitions, so I was put in touch with employment officer who happen to have a deaf lady there who went through alot of red tape to get me a place at local college to do Teaching Assistant course with a notetaker, I paid nothing. Thank god, I passed with distinction and took further maths/english exams aswell which I passed with over 85% in both tests. The course was one evening a week and i was 32 at the time and i was one of the youngest!!

Got Job in school few months later, not with deaf kids, with Autistic Teenagers! I love it, it's so challenging.

I went through courts to get my money back which I won the case.
The Job centre officer who said i couldn't go to local college because there is no course suitable or any support for the deaf people, has since been warned. My employment officer wrote the letter to them, we had meeting and they saw my side.
Darn, well I think they should be available, I'll try and look into it more and see if I can find anything similar
Wow, life skills lol, 400 miles for something like that is a bit of a distance o_O why couldn't they send you to somewhere closer? (even though you don't need to learn them)
Well done for your distinction :) that's fantastic
And I know the majority in adult classes are middle aged - OAP's, (most of the time) I took maths when I was 17 at a college for adults and I was basically a baby beside everyone else lol

How long have you been working in that job so far? It's great you've found a job you like, and congratulations on winning the court case :)

hello welcome to enjoy for you hear nice to meet to you :d

Hello!!! I've jumped on here for a quick look before work!! Welcome krissy!! I see you live in Manchester, so if you need to talk etc, we can always meet up one day for a Starbucks!

Hello!!! I've jumped on here for a quick look before work!! Welcome krissy!! I see you live in Manchester, so if you need to talk etc, we can always meet up one day for a Starbucks!

Aww thank you! That's very sweet :) and I'd love to but not sure when I can, I suffer from agrophobia and I'm waiting on therapy

Nice to see a fellow English(wo)man on AD!

I've never ventured as far north as Manchester although the rest of my family spend a weekend up there and said that it's a lovely city! :)

Nice to see a fellow English(wo)man on AD!

I've never ventured as far north as Manchester although the rest of my family spend a weekend up there and said that it's a lovely city! :)
Hey :)
There's a few English people, they're just hard to find :P lol
Manchester is not bad, it depends which part you visit though like most places :)

Welcome to AD Krissy. I too know what it feels like to not fit in with anyone because I've been there. However, I still have my hearing and I'm thankful to God everyday for my abilities and for everything that I've been given (sorry if someone here is not of Christian faith). I didn't know much (the alphabet maybe a few words/phrases) before this school year, but I've learned so much so far. I try to practice signing every chance I get and I'm finding myself signing while I talk sometimes, too. If you ever need someone to talk to, you feel free to send me a message. :)

Hi Krissy :)

Hi Krissy, my name is Jennifer and I am new to the site. I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to feel so torn between who you are. It doesn't seem seem like enough to just say, I'm Krissy, I don't need a title like deaf or hearing. I am currently taking an ASL class and would love to communicate and learn more. I also love making new friends too :)

Hey :)
There's a few English people, they're just hard to find :P lol
Manchester is not bad, it depends which part you visit though like most places :)

Manchester is okay, Trafford Centre is the best place to go if you love shopping, eating or watching films :)

The city centre's okay for a quick visit

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back