hh at gallaudet

Ash44

Reaction score
what kinda hearing loss do u have to have to be able to go to gallaudet?

all i could find is that hard of hearing & deaf students can go, hearing have to go thru some kinda process.

but the site doesn't say what they consider hard of hearing.

i have 40 decibel loss that fluctuates from meniere's between 40-70 db.

i already graduated from college but am thinking about getting a second degree. in what i don't know LOL

oh yeah i also can use asl. im not wonderful i do need practice but can communicate at least LOL

Why don't you ask Gallaudet with those information?

To me you good to go to Gallaudet. I am gallaudet student for a year and for this year too.

I think u can go to gally, and crazywoot is right.. you should be asking the right people in admissions office at gallaudet... there's even a few hearing undergraduate students (thanks to a program). so why not?

Actually, I don't think there is a dcB ceiling for admission into Gally, the way there are for some schools for the deaf. Besides as Liza, said there are some hearie undergrads who attend Gally (and the number might rise as more hearies who use ASL as a primary language go to college)

deafdyke said:
Actually, I don't think there is a dcB ceiling for admission into Gally, the way there are for some schools for the deaf. Besides as Liza, said there are some hearie undergrads who attend Gally (and the number might rise as more hearies who use ASL as a primary language go to college)

...... Hearing people who use ASL as a primary language? Please do tell me more about this .... Yes I'm new to the deaf world obviously

I think the others are right, I don't think there is a limit any more on the degree of hearing loss that you've got to get into Gally. I was a Gally student from '91-96 and I remember there were a few hearing undergrads (specially admitted), plus the Graduate Student program admits hearing students that are planning on majoring in Deaf-related fields (mainly Education)

Last I heard, Gally was becoming more open on admitting hearing students as regular students, not as special-admission students as it was in the past.

Hearing people who use ASL as a primary language? Please do tell me more about this ...
Yes, there are unilaterally deaf folks who use ASL , as well as kids with apraxia, cerebal palsy, tracheostomies and other speech inhibiting disabilties.....it's not just about how bad an audiogram you have!

deafdyke said:
Yes, there are unilaterally deaf folks who use ASL , as well as kids with apraxia, cerebal palsy, tracheostomies and other speech inhibiting disabilties.....it's not just about how bad an audiogram you have!
I have cerebral palsy and I don't consider Gally, because they are not MAINSTREAMED and NTID/RIT is full of dhh and hearing people. Gally should be more open to ANYONE, not only deaf students. i grew up in mainstreamed schools and I am finishing high school (I am the only the deaf student).

I don't think Gallaudet Unviersity has any restrictions on hearing levels. There are some hearing people at school, and in two of my classes. There are a high number of hearing people who are in the Graduate program here at Gallaudet.

open

there are quite a few hearing people here at gally....and people in wheel chairs.

vfr said:
there are quite a few hearing people here at gally....and people in wheel chairs.
do you know if gally PROVIDE PERSONAL CARE ASSISTANTS? And are the students deaf and quadriplegic, just like me?

i have no idea

however i will ask around...i have freinds in high and low places. :cheers:

rjr2006 said:
I have cerebral palsy and I don't consider Gally, because they are not MAINSTREAMED and NTID/RIT is full of dhh and hearing people. Gally should be more open to ANYONE, not only deaf students. i grew up in mainstreamed schools and I am finishing high school (I am the only the deaf student).

Well, Gally wants to be a Deaf University, and that's fine.

It is same as if you demand a women's college to open up to males to apply...

So Gally should stay as being a deaf university.. but shouldn't be the ONLY deaf university.

You have more choices to apply if you don't want DEAF university... so I don't see any harm in them being selective with hearing with their program "HUGS" students (that allow hearing students to join Gally)... that is a huge step. They are still upholding the ASL as their language in the classroom.

I am trying to give people a different perspective about Gally as the Deaf University and why it should stay that way...

Lemme give you (not only you RJ, but everybody else) an example.....
Think about... an university that is for French people or people who wants to study in French/socalize with French and the campus speaks French only... and that has been like that for long time and it is the world's top French university in America and all sudden somebody who applied to that French university got pissed off-- "HEY! THEY ARE REJECTING ME BECAUSE I DON'T WANT AND WILL REFUSE TO SPEAK FRENCH IF I ATTEND!"
Well-- there are many English-spoken universities so why is that person attacking the ONLY French-spoken university that try to provide those who are INTERESTED in french studies? That person is hurting the opportunties for future French-American students by demanding "equal" access... because then soon that university won't be the best French Studies university because then it has to cater to all other fields like Arabic Studies, American Studies etc and then that university become one of the ordinary universities in the country.
Why cannot that person just move on to their preference of English-spoken university because America is an English-spoken country with PLENTY of choices of universities?

Just an analogy for people to see better instead of being obsessed with Pro-Deaf militant and mainstreamed/latened deaf/Hoh/ et cetera issues... It is NOT about the Deafness...

french?

gnarlydorkette said:
Well, Gally wants to be a Deaf University, and that's fine.

It is same as if you demand a women's college to open up to males to apply...

So Gally should stay as being a deaf university.. but shouldn't be the ONLY deaf university.

You have more choices to apply if you don't want DEAF university... so I don't see any harm in them being selective with hearing with their program "HUGS" students (that allow hearing students to join Gally)... that is a huge step. They are still upholding the ASL as their language in the classroom.

I am trying to give people a different perspective about Gally as the Deaf University and why it should stay that way...

Lemme give you (not only you RJ, but everybody else) an example.....
Think about... an university that is for French people or people who wants to study in French/socalize with French and the campus speaks French only... and that has been like that for long time and it is the world's top French university in America and all sudden somebody who applied to that French university got pissed off-- "HEY! THEY ARE REJECTING ME BECAUSE I DON'T WANT AND WILL REFUSE TO SPEAK FRENCH IF I ATTEND!"
Well-- there are many English-spoken universities so why is that person attacking the ONLY French-spoken university that try to provide those who are INTERESTED in french studies? That person is hurting the opportunties for future French-American students by demanding "equal" access... because then soon that university won't be the best French Studies university because then it has to cater to all other fields like Arabic Studies, American Studies etc and then that university become one of the ordinary universities in the country.
Why cannot that person just move on to their preference of English-spoken university because America is an English-spoken country with PLENTY of choices of universities?

Just an analogy for people to see better instead of being obsessed with Pro-Deaf militant and mainstreamed/latened deaf/Hoh/ et cetera issues... It is NOT about the Deafness...

uhhh.. i am sorry but ...i gotta be asshole here..
ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID?
they accept hearing people under the reasoning that the hearing people want to get involved with the deaf! DUH!
terps,teachers,social workers..ect.ect...most are hearing!!!!!

and men do go to womens schools...they have been for 20 years now...and women go to mens schools! not whole lot.. but those who are taken are very fucking deep about learning.
why the fuck would a hearing person , with no intrest in deaf ANYTHING want to go to a school that is behind the times in every thing but deaf ed?
the math and engish classes are pathetic! history? bio?holy shit... i learned all of the jr classes back as freshman in a mainstream high school!

the only possable reason i can think a hearing guy would come here ...is to pick up these easy girls who are free from momma for the first time in their life! and yes they are so easy!

ok ...sorry ,sorry i had to to be an asshole .. :asshole:
.but i really needed to say that...

rjr2006 said:
do you know if gally PROVIDE PERSONAL CARE ASSISTANTS? And are the students deaf and quadriplegic, just like me?

I am a Deaf wheelchair user and work at Gally. I do not know if they have PCA's there or not. The office for Students with Disabilities should have the answer. check the link below:

http://depts.gallaudet.edu/OSWD/index.htm

At NTID, the threshold for admission is explicitly stated in the handbook to be 'Across the range of 500 to 2000 Hz, 70 dB or greater loss unaided in the better ear'. Of course, even if you don't constitute this specific definition of 'deafness', you can still just be an RIT student ('hearing' in terms of paperwork, but nontheless hh in terms of actuality), so the point is kind of moot either way. In the latter case you pay the RIT tuition but if you're having trouble in class they could set up some way for you to get notetakers through Academic Accomodations, so the possibility of NTID support is still there at least in some fashion. I'm 'hearing' in this way, as my hearing doesn't fall into that definition though I don't think anyone will really deny that I'm hh. I did the AA notetaker thing for a quarter, but decided not to bother with it afterwards as even if I had access to the notes for my classes I wasn't reading them anyway so it didn't really have an effect on anything and was really just costing the school money to pay the notetaker.

How it is at RIT/NTID is not reflective of how it is at Gally (completely different communities), but I'm thinking it would be relevant to share how RIT/NTID does things, as some of it may apply at Gally and more of it at other colleges with a sizable number of deaf students (CSUN, mainly).

Back