Heya!

TaciturnPhantom

Reaction score
Heya, everyone. My name is Taci. I'm 16 years, 6 months and 23 days old. I have severe deafness in both ears and have to wear hearing aids in both ears (I'm wearing one at the moment because of an ear infection in my right ear). I'm the only deaf person in my family. Well, I reckon my mum's got mild hearing loss because she's always mishearing stuff and yelling "WHAT?!" at us when she can't hear something (which is quite often). I'm the only autistic person in my family too.

I'm from Britain but I don't really have a British background (British and Chinese background). I can count to ten in Cantonese but that's it. I'm learning the basics of Japanese though and can speak a bit of French. I'm in the midst of my final GCSE exams and after that, I'm off to a sixth form that's part of a boarding school for the deaf where I'll complete my A-levels. I've never really spoken to other deaf people before and I can only remember snippets of British Sign Language which are just about enough to survive with.

I like to read and write novels and poetry in my spare time. I'm writing a novel written in the point of view of a deaf and autistic character in a zombie apocalypse. I love playing the drums and my cousin will teach me how to play the guitar during the summer holidays. I have an obsession with dinosaurs and infectious diseases. I love numbers and maths too. I hope to become a mathematician when I'm older.

Welcome to alldeaf :)

Your novel sounds interesting and great on the drums! That's the one instrument I wish I had learned (parents wouldn't let me but let my brother)... I did learn a little piano , guitar and recorder as a kid though (none lasted lol).

Lovely! I also enjoy dinosaurs and infectious disease...

:welcome:

Welcome to alldeaf :)

Your novel sounds interesting and great on the drums! That's the one instrument I wish I had learned (parents wouldn't let me but let my brother)... I did learn a little piano , guitar and recorder as a kid though (none lasted lol).

Ha ha, thanks! The drums are awesome. Why didn't your parents let you learn how to play the drums?

I've heard the saying "one drummer is enough in the family" from my drumming teacher though.

Yea, I'm going to Mary Hare. How did you know?

I went there for a three day trial. It was awesome. I loved it!

Have you been there before?
LOL......Just know a bit about the Deaf Schools in the UK, and took a guess.....Glad you'll have that experiance! JEALOUS of you........do you wish you'd been able to go to Mary Hare for secondary?

LOL......Just know a bit about the Deaf Schools in the UK, and took a guess.....Glad you'll have that experiance! JEALOUS of you........do you wish you'd been able to go to Mary Hare for secondary?

Ha ha, thanks! Did you go to only mainstream schools? What other Deaf Schools are there in the UK?

Yea, I really wish that I'd been able to go to Mary Hare for secondary school. I originally won an open place when I sat the entrance exams but my headteacher and the local council refused to fund my place. They thought that I was doing "well" in school and didn't need any more support.

Mary Hare is such a wonderful school. The teachers there are so supportive and the students so accepting. I've had none of that through the secondary school that I'm attending. I'll cry with happiness when I finish secondary school next Thursday. I'll probably cry with happiness even more when I arrive at Mary Hare.

Ha ha, thanks! Did you go to only mainstream schools? What other Deaf Schools are there in the UK?

Yea, I really wish that I'd been able to go to Mary Hare for secondary school. I originally won an open place when I sat the entrance exams but my headteacher and the local council refused to fund my place. They thought that I was doing "well" in school and didn't need any more support.

Mary Hare is such a wonderful school. The teachers there are so supportive and the students so accepting. I've had none of that through the secondary school that I'm attending. I'll cry with happiness when I finish secondary school next Thursday. I'll probably cry with happiness even more when I arrive at Mary Hare.

Yup, was mainstreamed.......I'm from the US, but I know that you guys deal with a lot of the same stuff we do in the mainstream....Used to have a friend from Scotland who REALLY fell through the cracks. She REALLY missed out both socially and educationally.Really sad.) I'm just psyched you'll get some time at Deaf School.....it can be an AMAZING experiance...and I think you'll bloom!..I think its SO dumb that your place wasn't funded......they really need to push deaf schools as an investment/alternative to the mainstream......There's a lot of Deaf Schools in the UK:Deaf Schools and Deaf Colleges: net-guide
Deaf and Hearing Impaired « Disabled Schools and Colleges « Disabled Education « Ableize Disability and Mobility Directory 

Back