Hey, ASL teachers - do you "mouth"?

deafsqrrl

Reaction score
Do you move your mouth while giving a quiz to your ASL students?

I am not an ASL teacher.. but I had been in ASL courses in college before.

The first teacher (a CODA), she did mouth some. The second teacher (a hearing,) he didn't. I don't remember about the third teacher (a hearing, possibly a CODA) - she was married to a deaf man.

Do you move your mouth while giving a quiz to your ASL students?

mmm ive asked something similar to this before....
my teacher mouths... which makes me angry :p because she wouldnt allow us to do so

mmm ive asked something similar to this before....
my teacher mouths... which makes me angry :p because she wouldnt allow us to do so
I'm friends with a few ASL instructors and when I have discussed mouthing with one of them they said it was for two reasons:

1. some times signs actually require mouthing (I forget the example my friend gave me)
2. they are trying to help the students understand better by mouthing while signing

I remember our interpreting instructors telling us that for some hearing people, mouthing just becomes part of their "hearing accent" and many if not most hearies mouth to some extent. Ours NEVER did during quizzes and tests, though. We got pure ASL.

Personally I know I mouth to some extent when I'm teaching my students, but since I'm teaching English I don't worry too much about it. If I'm only doing a lecture in ASL then I don't as much, but I don't do a lot of lecturing. The students do it as well, especially when asking a question and using SEE to represent the exact words of an English sentence.

It is very common to have ASL teachers (they need to use voice with hearing students to teach them ASL and later use mouthing without voice) and ASL interpreters, plus us Deafies to mouth without voice while signing. It is the same way for lipreading while signing so not to confuse with misunderstanding if not signing. That is why we need ASL to go with the lipreading or speechreading to help us understanding one hundred percent. Some of the Deafies prefer to sign pure ASL without mouthing the words (no voice) at all.

We just love to sign ASL whether we use mouthing with voice or without voice, does not matter. :cool2:

Hey, folks, the OP was talking about during quizzes, tests. I think during tests, no mouthing......

Hey, folks, the OP was talking about during quizzes, tests. I think during tests, no mouthing......

:Oops: Sorry about that. So it is only for ASL teachers, etc. giving the tests or quizzes for ASL only. That would be a good idea not to mouth to see if they can understand the ASL language. I know it is hard sometimes when ASL teachers mouth without thinking and forgot that the ASL teachers have to give a test for that. Sometimes the hearing students don't know any thing about lipreading or speechreading and rely only on the sign language that they have learn so far. Some do, I think for hearing people to be able to lipread the mouth , but Hard of Hearing students can lipread the mouthing so ASL teachers have to remember not do mouth while signing. :cool2: :hmm:

The woman I work with she mouths during class and teaching... but exams there is no mouthing unless it is needed. (ie -mouth morphenes sp??)

The Asl teacher at the college I goto talks. He very, very rarely talks, but he does talk. He is deaf. He teaches Asl 1-3.

The Asl teacher at the college I goto talks. He very, very rarely talks, but he does talk. He is deaf. He teaches Asl 1-3.

Jasin, just for the record, we make a distinction between "talking" and "mouthing" here....

Back