Heroic School Nurse Dies After Helping Fallen Coach

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Santa Clara High School is mourning the loss this week of a school nurse who likely helped save the life of the school's softball coach suffering from a heart attack just moments before collapsing herself. She later died.

On Tuesday, 59-year-old Eileen Bowden gave John Rahbar CPR minutes after he collapsed with no pulse while collecting foul balls following a team practice.

Bowden's actions kept Rahbar alive until paramedics arrived, but then Bowden collapsed.

"After that, Ms. Bowden kind of got up, in just a brief moment, she fell down and seemed to need medical assistance," said Santa Clara School District spokeswoman Tabitha Kappler-Hurley. "So she was taken to Valley Medical Center and unfortunately died en route."

Bowden rotated between five schools in the district, spending one day a week on each campus .She also was police officer with the Santa Clara Police Department. Her death stunned students.

"My first question was, like, 'What's happening? Is everyone OK?' At that point, we didn't know a life had been lost," says Santa Clara High School freshman Michaela Hudson. "So, when we came back to school and we heard about the nurse whose life had been lost, everybody was kind of shocked, because we were there."

Bowden lived in Half Moon Bay and leaves behind a 12-year-old daughter who she adopted in China. Officials say Bowden was extremely dedicated to the school community.

Rahbar's wife said he suffered a heart attack. He should be released from the hospital in a few days. Rahbar's wife expressed deep gratitude to the nurse for her actions and sympathy towards her family. She said she believes her husband might not have survived the heart attack if not for Bowden's aid.

At this time, it is not clear what caused Eileen Bowden's death.

Heroic School Nurse Dies After Helping Fallen Coach

This is saddening when she saved someone's life but later died for unknown cause. :(

CPR is very hard work. Arduous. Kicks your pants off difficult. I work in the NICU with preemies, so I don't have to do it on adults, but when I renew my CPR certification, I walk out sore for a couple of days.

CPR is very hard work. Arduous. Kicks your pants off difficult. I work in the NICU with preemies, so I don't have to do it on adults, but when I renew my CPR certification, I walk out sore for a couple of days.

CPR on infants or Adults is hard and tiresome!

I am not quite sore, when I leave. But I am exhausted!

My Mother used to be the Head RN in the NICU for several years. She is now an ARNP.

How sad! It is almost like the Nurse sacrificed herself, to save the coach!

My heart goes out to the 12 year old daughter that is left behind. Such a young tender age.

Sad, but articles like this are a good reminder to upkeep our health!

Back